• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can braces fix teeth with multiple gaps?

D

dan902

Hi, I understand it's better to ask my orthodontist about this, but I thought I'd also come here for an opinion.

I'm 16 and I'm having a brace put on in two weeks to ''prepare'' my teeth for a corrective underbite surgery taking place in two years time under the NHS. Alongside this, I also have upper teeth that are in terrible natural appearance; between the front 8 teeth there are equal spacings between my teeth, each large enough for my tongue to fit inbetween each, with my front teeth bucked outwards slightly. The teeth themselves are in excellent health.

Is it physically possible for these gaps to be corrected with the braces that I will be having? Sorry I haven't uploaded a photo of my teeth, would it help if I did?

Last edited:
picture would be nice

IMG_0223.JPGIMG_0224.JPG

As you can see my teeth are structurally rather poor! Do you think it is even remotely possible for my orthodontist to fix the upper teeth, considering I'll be having a brace on for 2 years to prepare for my underbite surgery?

braces will decrease but not close the gaps. Your teeth are tapered opposite of a typical tooth. If aesthetics are very important then do orthodontic treatment and porcelain veneers. The teeth would look near perfect.

Ok thanks; one last question though, are you able to suggest just how much the braces are able to change the structure of my upper jaw? I understand the lower will change due to my corrective underbite surgery.

I'm asking this because I've only seen braces change the tiniest of gaps between front teeth; which is far from my teeth. Do you think the braces could decrease the gaps a noticeable amount? (and straighten them?)

Thanks for your help

Many years later, I've just stumbled back upon this thread and thought it could be useful to some people if I gave an update.

Since the first post, I had braces for 2 years followed by corrective jaw surgery, followed by a further 6 months in braces. Despite being terrified at the time, I'm now almost 3 years post operation and really happy that I had the surgery. The first few weeks after surgery were very uncomfortable, but all manageable with smoothies, soups and lots of milk.

Whilst I'm far from having a perfect smile by today's standards, I'm far happier with it now than I was prior to the operation.

Attachments

• 20170918_185134.jpg
    20170918_185134.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170918_185132.jpg
    20170918_185132.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170918_185129.jpg
    20170918_185129.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Back