• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

This is the start to my new smile.

Deejay

Deejay

Well here I am in the whiplash of emotions since plucking up the courage to visit the dentist, my story so far, I am dental phobic and also suffer bad mouth ulcers when using toothpaste and breathe through my mouth, not the best of combinations, numerous bad experiences have left me like this and until recently my last visit to a dentist was 20 + years ago, when I was told I needed a filling in my front tooth, now to me any dental work is hideous but I have an even bigger hatred of work being done at the front of my mouth, needless to say this was the last he saw off me. Since then til 2 and half years ago I got through ok without any dental visits although one tooth was dropping slightly then I got toothache in a back tooth, a week later when I was crunching painkillers to try and ease the pain I tried for an appointment but was no longer on the dental list ( struck off for lack of attendance :redface:) i was directed to the NHS and had to be put on the waiting list but they would treat me as a one off emergency i told them i was phobic and was treated carefully but had an extraction with local injections, this solved the toothache but not the fear I re- ran that experience for months! anyway off i went, during my time on the waiting list one tooth crumbled after a wrestle with a crusty bread baton! It didn't really hurt and the roots and a slight piece remained in situ without problem.
2 years I waited and last August I received notification I was on the list and had to attend a pre reg. check up at this time I was in hospital for months and couldn't attend but they said thy would hold my place my health improved and I developed toothache!! Now I had to face my fears :o

Last edited:
Hello you will be okay. Just explain how you did before how nervous and afraid you feel. At that first appointment the dentist won't do anything except have a look and maybe take an x ray. If you don't feel comfortable having the x rays done ask if they can be done at a later appointment.

You don't have to have any treatment done that you don't want or feel ready for.

I hope this dentist works out for you and that you will be on here saying how good they are. Dentists today are very good and try to make us as comfortable as they can.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:

Thank you Carole, I thought I could write my journal in stages but after first post couldn't work out how to continue,? I went for X-ray which didn't worry me and my second dental visit was the results that were not good. I only have 5 sound lower front teeth my other 17 teeth need loads of work per tooth plus root canal work and extractions, so many visits, given my fears and the amount of work needed and the state of my teeth my other option is removal of all upper teeth and all lower barr front 5 under sedation with immediate dentures I am mortified at the thought of any off it and deeply upset that my fear and lack of knowledge that there is help out there for phobics has left me in this predicament at 45 years old, we have decided on removal of all the top and the bad lower immediates and work on cleaning up the front 5. I have been referred to the dental clinic re the sedation and am awaiting the appointment, I got through the impressions on Tuesday ( unfortunately dentist is on holiday but back to him the 21st Feb, for bite impressions, step by step but can't wait to find out about the sedation as that is my next main fear, although I'm a little more comforted by the postings I've read on here. Will keep up my journal as it helps writing it all down, most people I have mentioned it too have washed over the main part and said you'll have a lovely smile when you are done, it's the getting done that concerns me, although my Aunty is more realistic yet supportive. Thank you for your support :)

You are welcome. I have not had sedation so I can't tell you how it feels. I have fought my fear all my life and I still get shaky and nervous but I have found if I get there, they help a lot. You have come so far already and you
will do this.

It helps when you know what you are facing and have a plan as you have. The waiting is much worse than the actual procedures, we get so worried and stressed. Your dentist sounds lovely you will be okay with him, he is a good guy. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

You just write what you feel, it is good when a journal is started because in a few months time you can read over this and see how far you have come. I don't know if you have read Kim's journal but she decided to have her teeth out and get dentures, it has been an up and down journey for her but she is much happier now. It's long so get yourself comfy :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Thanks Carole, I have started reading her story but had to go to bed it got too late !!! Up until yesterday I was addicted to playing 'Hay Day' on my ipad, now I'm addicted to this website and even managed to answer someone else's question from my recent experiences at the dentist and I've only had 2 appointments! but every little bit helps if you are uncertain doesn't it? Well just struggled through a grated cheese sandwich, my teeth are so temperature sensitive now eating is becoming a juggling act between the food my teeth and my tongue washed down with coffee through a straw and ibuprofen! ( my teeth will be gone soon, the sooner the better) Just can't be doing with all this waiting, you know when something major is about to happen , you go to bed and wake up a bit fuzzy with that feeling inside, like when you were a kid and your birthday was approaching or Xmas or a long awaited holiday and your tummy flips? I do that every morning I wake think what's that tumbling in my tummy and then remember I'm awaiting dentist appointments my tummy flips with nausea! Would just like to wake up and it be the day of my extractions even though I'm so nervous I want to know when the end will be, although the brain is a marvellous thing it's also very good at freaking you out and winding you up lol. Ok another coffee and a straw and I'm going look around this site for extraction/ immediate denture stories, Have a good day :)

Oh yes, there have been plenty of times when my brain says one thing and my body has it's own ideas :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Common sense goes right out of the window :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ah well it will soon be over and you can enjoy your coffee, food, sleep and live in general without all this continuous stress.

Best wishes to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Afternoon ladies, finally found this thread :)

what about those of us who had no common sense before...does it get worse:hmm:

:) its nice to laugh

Quick update, My teeth are really sensitive now and this cold air is a killer, esp. as I breathe through my mouth ( now through scarf or my jumper) fed up off coffee through a straw and tepid soft food, go for my bite impressions tomorrow just a little apprehensive, general going to the dentist apprehension, but not scared as I know it won't hurt, still awaiting my sedation assessment appointment I know ' Patience is a Virtue, Virtue is a Grace.
Grace is a little child with a dirty face!! Lol' but I hate waiting :waiting:. To be continued. . . . . . . . . . :whirl:

You will be fine despite the fact that you won't like one little bit what is happening to you. However, try to remember, the outcome will be for the better, tho' it probably doesn't feel like it at the moment - you will get there in the end, just takes a whole lot of courage, and encouragement, which you have and you will get from us xx

Thanks Kim,
just want it to be over and done with now, not even too bothered yet about the healing as can just dose myself up as required, this site is great, and I appreciate all the support, it's nice to be able to talk about your treatment, fears and the journey and writing it down helps. Taking that big step to go to the dentists in the first place was the main obstacle now just a few hurdles to overcome along the way.:whirl:

Afternoon ladies, finally found this thread :)

what about those of us who had no common sense before...does it get worse:hmm:

:) its nice to laugh

If we have no common sense before hand, how would we know. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Yes it is good to laugh, well you just have to don't you. ;)

Yes sometimes to be ignorant would be bliss, monstermill and I are going through very similar treatments both having extractions and immediates both awaiting our assessment appointments although I go for my bite impression tomorrow and she had hers done already, a problem shared is a problem halved, I love the banter and find myself :ROFLMAO: killing myself laughing, hubby thinks I'm mad! Carole you seem to have a favourite smiley :butterfly: it always makes me smile :) my special one is :whirl: They are so cute and cheery.

Yes I do, have you noticed what my favourite smilie is called?:butterfly: and it is a butterfly.

Good luck to you and Monstermill, I am reading your threads with interest. :respect::respect::respect:

I think you are both very brave, and yes not only do we try and keep calm on here we also do funnies :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll all this stress could send you :mad::mad::mad: :rolleyes:

I love butterfly. Not too keen on the XXL Hug though its a bit gruesome! Yeah think you'd go stark raving crazy:frantic: otherwise. you got to show a lighter side to it all. :grin: I don't feel very brave I think I'm crazy when I think about it ! So I try not too! my language teacher caught wind on what I was having done and virtually recoiled in horror, and I must admit 17 teeth out in one go seems horrendously traumatic, but we were actually having a giggle about making my husband act as tooth fairy :giggle:and what was the going rate, general opinion seems to be £1 but then we reckoned it should be more money for adult teeth :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: oh well time for:coffee: and :off-to-bed:
Thank you for posting will write again after my appointment tomorrow, xx

Yes £1 per tooth then there is the treat meal when you can, then there is the 'you were so brave gift' then there is the get well flowers, oh I could go on but I am sure you can make your own list to add to the ones I have suggested :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Goodnight :sleep::butterfly:

OMG toooooo funny:toofunny: I have passed the message on to hubby, he has been warned!! Night Night x x

can someone forward the "you are so brave present" idea to my partner and tell him i want an ipad :p x

MonsterMill print this

TOKEN
YOU ARE SO BRAVE PRESENT

TO BE PRESENTED TO MonsterMills husband. Exchange this for a present of your choice for your wife being so brave and having all her dental work done.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::love::love::love: because you love her.

Ha Ha I love my ipad, just been to dentist basically it wasn't for the bite it was just another dental impression but in a custom tray, I go again on the 1st March for more getting dentures sorted, my date has come for my Sedation assessment ( well I asked the dentist how long it'd be and he said you have one already sorted,) I hadn't and he checked with receptionist yes it is lunchtime on the 14 th March, nobody thought to tell me!!! but heaven knows how long the waiting is for the procedure, dentist said it all depends when the anaesthetists are available, think they share them with the local hospital. Start back at work the end of march but have warned them I will possible need a week off, I mean I'm not sure what my recovery time will be and they'd happily accommodate me back earlier if I was ready and it's 4 to 5 hour work day and only a 5 min car ride away so not too bad, so I feel good now, whether that's cause I can get it in my head a bit better now I have that initial appointment date or whether I'm still euphoric from surviving another dental appoint. I don't know but today I'm feeling good.:whirl:

feeling good today, happened to catch sight of myself talking in the mirror and it reminded me of all the reasons im doing this to get rid of these god awful manky hurty teeth.
no appointment letter as of yet for pre op, got all excited cause had a strange postmarked letter and it was a coupon for free toilet roll.:jump: was well naffed off

glad you got your sedation assesment deej, but dont overtake me too far eh! itd be sweet if we both went in on the same day even if we are at total other ends of the country haha

thanks for the token carole, think im wishful thinking we cant afford a takeaway at the minute let alone an ipad, but as they say on the swishy hair advert,because im worth it:):innocent:

Back