• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Non -healing wisdom tooth extraction site

lillyh

lillyh

Hello,
On February 14th of this year i had 4 teeth extracted..Three wisdom teeth ,( one upper left, one upper right, two bottom right.).They have all healed nicely except the one on top..It started throbbing yesterday so I went to the oral surgeon who looked at it..It has the hole where the tooth was but then it extends almost over the top of the adjoining tooth...Well the oral surgeon checked for a sinus communication and there isnt one..He cleaned it out(some food in there) and gave me Clyndamycin(I just finished penicillin vk today)Said it was healing but to clean it better , use my chlorhexadine rinse, and take my antibiotic...So i come home and now sometimes when I take a breath I get sharp pains the extraction site.....I don't know if it is the extraction site that hurts or the tooth since some of the root is exposed since there is no gum around it..The dentist said it would close up in 2-3 weeks..But I'm worried..It hasn't healed yet and I still have to worry about food getting in it and it has been 26 days since they were extracted...and when I use my syringe to clean it out it hurts..Should i have my regular dentist look at it and see if it the tooth or the gums? How long do you think I have to worry about food in the hole?

I wouldn't like this, I think I would go and see your dentist and ask him to have a look. It does seem a long time to be left with a hole. It is very restricting as well as you know. I would have thought the os could pack it with a dressing or something to help protect the tooth that has the exposed root.

I hope you feel better soon, have a word with your own dentist ask him if he could put a dressing in the hole. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Thanks Carole!!
I would think an Oral surgeon would be a little more concerned too..He just cleaned it out, gave me a new antibotic, told me i'd feel better in two weeks and no follow up was necessary.....Oh well...I tried calling my regular dentist but he must have left the office early...Or saw I called and was hiding! LOL....

Well I called my regular dentist and told him I was having trouble with my extraction site not healing and told him I had gone to the oral surgeon..He said he doesn't want to look at it or do anything about it since he didnt pull the tooth..He said if he had pulled the tooth he would have just cleaned it out and put me on antibiotics just like the oral surgeon did..I told him I had some other questions but he said I had to heal my extraction sites first before he would let me come in to see him..I told him i had a tooth that I thought some of the filling had come out and he said He still would make me wait till i was healed to do anything about it...I'm upset with him and the oral surgeon to say the least....

lillyh, UPSET :mad::mad::mad: I would be fuming with this, while it isn't your dentists fault I would hope that he would at least see you to put your mind at rest.

Having said that, I do understand him not wanting to butt in on someone else's work. It is a tough one for you though, and you have my sympathy.

I hope you get better soon :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I think that since he is my dentist now that he would want to at least check out the tooth with the filling..That wasn't messed with by the oral surgeon..And for my dentist to tell me that if the filling came out he still wouldn't see me (if three weeks hadnt passed) upset me ...to think he would leave me in pain...Not the kind, compassionate, caring dentist I thought he was...I made an appointment for tomorrow with another dentist..We are going to talk and he already has my xrays ..I will see what he thinks we can do for my teeth...I'm not getting my hopes up though..This is really depressing:cry:Oh well...

I have just read your reply to my question on my thread, and I am so pleased that you have found a good caring dentist now.

Time to celebrate :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::yayy:

Yes, he seems to be a good dentist. I feel comfortable around him..He is very young and laid back...Told me everything he was going to do, how and why! He said if anything hurt or bothered me just to tell him to stop~
He wears tennis shoes and no socks! my kind of guy LOL....I just hope he is good at fillings ! Only time will tell I guess. He said one of my fillings is almost to the nerve so I'm worried about that one.The other three are okay...I will keep you posted....:)

The filling that is almost to the nerve, don't worry too much about it. The tooth that I am having re done was filled about 7 years ago and I was told then that one day it would need a rct. Well last year it did, it is as you know been re done now as there is infection under the tooth. So you may not lose it, it might be able to have a rct.

I think he will be fine, someone that takes the time to talk and listen to you will take time to make sure treatment is pain free and as comfortable as he can make it. You are onto a winner there :jump::jump::jump:

Yeah we came to an agreement that if it was close to the nerve we would pull it..I just had two root canal teeth go bad and my insurance is gone for the year...He said that wasn't a problem since we could add another tooth to the partial! What a guy! He listened to me and cared about what I wanted...You are brave to want to redo your root canal..I on the other hand am not brave:cry: How did they know your root canaled tooth was bad? I didnt think they could see infection on an xray or decay under a crown? That is what scares me...

I see, we all have to make the decisions that are best for us. I hope it will be okay :XXLhug:

The tooth I am having re done was filled with a deep filling 7 years ago, it had a protective layer of something put over the nerve before the filling was put in. This tooth felt great until Jan last year and I got an infection, I knew it was infected because the fact that my face was swollen and I was in agony with a little yellow spot on my gum was a kinda clue. I went to the dentist and he gave me antibiotics, I took them and it cleared up, then in Feb it flared up again so back to the dentist and more antibiotics and he said that it needed a rct. I went back in March last year when I had finished the antibiotics and had the rct done, the same day as it thawed out it hurt but I thought it was just because of the treatment, but the day after that my face was back up so more antibiotics. Well it was okay after that until April/May of last year when it go another flare up, I went back to the dentist and it was a different dentist, he gave me antibiotics and said he would pull it.

I didn't like this idea because my old dentist wouldn't have given up with it, so I changed dentist and got refer'd to the hospital where I am going now for it re doing.

The tooth has never had a crown on it so the x rays only had to see through the tooth, the infection is under the tooth near one of the three roots, until they get the stuff out of the root and clean it out and treat the infection it won't go. Unless the tooth is extracted then it is an instant cure. I have spent from last May until now willing the tooth not to flair up again and for this re do to be a success. So I have everything crossed for chickenjen and myself as we are both trying to keep troublesome rct'd teeth and praying lots. :butterfly:

Carole,
I sure hope everything works out for you !!! and your tooth...I guess after having 6 root canal teeth and having them all fail (two just recently) and not having anymore insurance I don't want to have another one. I realize it is probably what is best but I just can't do it...Unless my two front teeth fail then I'd seriously think about having one....Like I said you are brave!!! I really admire you:respect:Is that the only tooth you have left to fix? I have one more getting extracted on tuesday..The dentist wants it gone since it is cracked and the filling is leaking..He said it would be better for the tooth behind it too...Then the fillings...Then I will be done for awhile hopefully..All this dental work is kinda taxing on a person...I just want to be done...I really appreciate all the people on here who have way more to go through than I:) Take care!

Good luck for tomorrow lillyh :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::hug5::friends:

THANK YOU so much Carole,
I can't believe I'm so scared to go tomorrow...I'm going to a different oral surgeon that my current dentist refers to and not the one I've been to twice already (the one who did all my extractions so far) Plus this tooth is close to the sinus which is why my dentist didn't want to touch it...So I imagine the worst! LOL...Oh well , it is the very last tooth I will be having extracted...I have an appointment to get a filling done on April 15th...There is a deep old silver filling in it now and the dentist said it is close to the nerve but thinks we will be okay...then 3 more fillings, and 3 months later my partials will be made...He hasnt mentioned a cleaning yet so maybe at the end..Then it is 6 months unless something happens in between..He did say today I had very strong teeth! So that is good....How is your tooth doing? I hope it is being good...

Hello,
On February 14th of this year i had 4 teeth extracted..Three wisdom teeth ,( one upper left, one upper right, two bottom right.).They have all healed nicely except the one on top..It started throbbing yesterday so I went to the oral surgeon who looked at it..It has the hole where the tooth was but then it extends almost over the top of the adjoining tooth...Well the oral surgeon checked for a sinus communication and there isnt one..He cleaned it out(some food in there) and gave me Clyndamycin(I just finished penicillin vk today)Said it was healing but to clean it better , use my chlorhexadine rinse, and take my antibiotic...So i come home and now sometimes when I take a breath I get sharp pains the extraction site.....I don't know if it is the extraction site that hurts or the tooth since some of the root is exposed since there is no gum around it..The dentist said it would close up in 2-3 weeks..But I'm worried..It hasn't healed yet and I still have to worry about food getting in it and it has been 26 days since they were extracted...and when I use my syringe to clean it out it hurts..Should i have my regular dentist look at it and see if it the tooth or the gums? How long do you think I have to worry about food in the hole?

Lillyh,

Hello,
I joined this site because after so much researching you finally made sense of what I'm feeling. I had my wisdom teeth extracted 2.5 weeks ago. A week ago I started getting the pain while breathing. Took me a while to distinguish if it was the nerve but after reading what you wrote I knew exactly what it was. I realize I have a tiny bit of root exposed on the molar that was in front of the tooth I had removed. I even had a bone graft done (which I paid extra for :/) but looks like it was pointless. Did your sensitivity ever get better?! Thanks.

Marie

Back