• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What is the difference between a simple extraction and a surgical extraction?

B

b11_

Former Member

Re: What is the difference between a simple extraction and a surgical extraction?

Hello b11,
I think a simple extraction is when a tooth is fully erupted in the gum and the dentist can just pull it out without issue..A surgical extraction is when the tooth is partially erupted or can't just be taken out with removing a piece of bone. I have had both kinds of extractions..Two surgical extractions were when two of my root canaled teeth broke into pieces and the dentist had to pull them out in pieces and needed to remove some bone to do it.

Re: What is the difference between a simple extraction and a surgical extraction?

And pain wise there should be no difference as you shoud be fully numbed up for both xx

I have had both types of extractions both under local. I had no pain during either extraction. Just some pressure. Both extractions were done by an oral surgeon.

The first one was a root canaled pre molar that was broken at the gum line and had a curved root. My general dentist thought it might be complicated so she referred me to the OS. The tooth came out very easily and no pain afterwards. What they thought may need to be a surgical extraction was straight forward regular extraction. No pain at all during the proceedure or afterwards

The second tooth was a root canaled abcessed broken molar (non wisdom). The OS sectioned the tooth (drilled it into 3 pieces) it came out quickly and there was much less pressure. He did clean out the area and I have stitches. From a patient standpoint the proceedure was painless. I was numb. It was very quick as well. I did have more pain post op, do to the infection. I am a on antibiotics and Tylenol and Motrin have been managing the pain fine. Ice and resting the first day made a big difference too.

so I guess my long winded point is surgical extractions are a little more involved and may involve A little more recovery time. Nothing too bad. Trust me I'm a big chicken

Back