• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What do you all think of tooth regeneration?

F

fireandice1000

Supposedly in France a couple of years ago some scientists were able to get the equivalent of adult teeth to regrow in mice that had been genetically engineered to be born without teeth. Basically they used stem cells from the mice to grow teeth in them. I think this could be the wave of the future for dentistry; perhaps phobics may not need to be as worried as much. I don't think it's a farfetched idea at all; bone marrow transplants are basically the use of adult stem cells as treatment for leukemia, etc. Also, a couple of years ago a guy from the USA (Wisconsin I think) had tracheal cancer and was basically stuck on a respirator. They flew him out to Sweden where doctors and scientists there were able to use stem cells from the good tissues of his trachea and regrew him a new one in the lab then implanted it in him. He's doing great from what I last heard! That's not some story from some wacko site, it was in the New York Times and other newspapers.

In my opinion, I think that root canals/dentures/fillings and so forth will be gone within a generation. How's that sound? ;D

In my opinion, I think that root canals/dentures/fillings and so forth will be gone within a generation. How's that sound? ;D

Speaking as someone who's just started a course of treatment which includes two root canals and one root canal re-treatment followed by crowns, that sounds great ;D !!! (shame it's not available right now though!).

jones,
What seems to be the problem with your teeth? Do you need root canals? Or just fillings?

Supposedly in France a couple of years ago some scientists were able to get the equivalent of adult teeth to regrow in mice that had been genetically engineered to be born without teeth. Basically they used stem cells from the mice to grow teeth in them. I think this could be the wave of the future for dentistry; perhaps phobics may not need to be as worried as much. I don't think it's a farfetched idea at all; bone marrow transplants are basically the use of adult stem cells as treatment for leukemia, etc. Also, a couple of years ago a guy from the USA (Wisconsin I think) had tracheal cancer and was basically stuck on a respirator. They flew him out to Sweden where doctors and scientists there were able to use stem cells from the good tissues of his trachea and regrew him a new one in the lab then implanted it in him. He's doing great from what I last heard! That's not some story from some wacko site, it was in the New York Times and other newspapers.

This sounds great. I am hoping that they will be able to replace artificial fillings with real enamel and dentin grown from your own teeth. This may come about within 5 to 10 years. (according to reliable sources). There are many articles concerning tooth regeneration found on the internet from different locations from all over the world. Some sources sound skeptical while others (from the dental scientists themselves) sound very positive. Two factors that have advanced tooth regeneration are stem cells and lasers. Scientists are also working on gels and vibrators to regenerate tooth material. Also, they are working with other regenerative cells found in other parts of the body. What is your opinion on this?

This sounds great. I am hoping that they will be able to replace artificial fillings with real enamel and dentin grown from your own teeth. This may come about within 5 to 10 years. (according to reliable sources). There are many articles concerning tooth regeneration found on the internet from different locations from all over the world. Some sources sound skeptical while others (from the dental scientists themselves) sound very positive. Two factors that have advanced tooth regeneration are stem cells and lasers. Scientists are also working on gels and vibrators to regenerate tooth material. Also, they are working with other regenerative cells found in other parts of the body. What is your opinion on this?

The way I see it, bacteria, tooth decay, and cavities will always exist. There will always be a need to brush and floss your teeth. In most cases, the dentist will also always need to drill (if they detect a cavity). However, the method they use to refill the tooth would change. This could involve placing a protective temporary cap over the top of the tooth while the treated part of the tooth regenerates underneath. This could take just a few months. I suppose several trials will have to be done to make sure that this works correctly.

This would be a dream come TRUE.
I would never of had dental phobia in the first place. It would eliminate my fear of having natural teeth removed as they could be replaced with an exact replica. Hoping this will come true soon. I'm keeping everything crossed x

I would cry my teeth have always been bad and now they need alot of work removing and fillings and im only 17 if this happaned i would be so happy but knowing scientists this will take 20-30 more years

The research is in its earliest stages and has not yet been tested on humans, so it's far too soon to say whether these futuristic techniques will ever make it to your local hospital. The treatment possibilities raised by these experiments, however, are exciting to contemplate.

I hope it happens one day, so goodbye fillings, goodbye root canals, hello new teeth.

Sounds like a God send!

tooth 3D copying

Whilst waiting for tooth regeneration, maybe you could do a little 3D printing of those you have lost to decay, so this 3D printed tooth could then be implanted back into the socket. So extract, 3D print the tooth to replicate and then immediately put tooth back in socket and secure.

There's going to be clinical trials for regrowing dentin using a drug being tested for use against Alzheimer's. It starts next year. They think it could be fast tracked through clinical trials to FDA approval if everything goes right. Drilling won't go away, exactly, but they'll soon fill in the hole with materials that will better integrate into the tooh to avoid broken fillings.

The same man who came up with the treatment, Paul Sharpe, has also been trying to perfect tooth regeneration for many years. The sticky issue is stem cell laws around the world can be stringent, especially in regard for human embryonic stem cells. Not just Sharpe but Jeremy Mao at Columbia and Pamela Yelick at Tufts as well as several other scientists around the world are researching tooth regeneration. Several have managed to regrow teeth over the years. The issue is narrowing down which adult stem cells to use for their procedures and then standardizing tooth regeneration in safe, repeatable conditions, so it can be commercialized.

It's a really complicated topic that won't be solved within the next couple years, but they're close. Maybe they'll have something in 10 years to go to clinical trials. I hope it's sooner than that, though.

[link removed - not a secure connection - admin]

Back