Thread: Gap to big between teeth after filling

Default Gap to big between teeth after filling

Hi, was wondering if its possible for the gap to be too big after getting a replacement filling. Recently had a filling replaced and its now two weeks later and its still painful to eat but its not the tooth it seems like when ever i eat solid food it get pushed past the tooth and cuts the gum. So am wondering if this is something that is possible or common.

Thankyou for your time .

Default Re: Gap to big between teeth after filling

Yes, that's pretty common. The contact between your teeth should be just enough to snap a piece of floss between. Any bigger, and you're likely to get bits of food stuck up in there, leading to sore gums just as you described.

Call your dentist and tell them you need an adjustment. The dentist should be able to build up the tooth a tiny bit with some more filling material (there should be no charge), and the problem should go right away. It may take a couple days for the gums to recover and stop being sensitive, but there's no permanent damage.
      • All opinions expressed are opinions; I'm not a dentist or medical professional.
      • Each mouth and each tooth is different, so my experience may not be yours.
      • Talk to a dentist before making any decisions or building up any expectations about what you need.
      • Stay calm and be kind to yourself.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve In Cleveland For This Useful Post:

puzzlebit (25th March 2013)

Default Re: Gap to big between teeth after filling

Quote Originally Posted by Steve In Cleveland View Post
      Yes, that's pretty common. The contact between your teeth should be just enough to snap a piece of floss between. Any bigger, and you're likely to get bits of food stuck up in there, leading to sore gums just as you described.

Call your dentist and tell them you need an adjustment. The dentist should be able to build up the tooth a tiny bit with some more filling material (there should be no charge), and the problem should go right away. It may take a couple days for the gums to recover and stop being sensitive, but there's no permanent damage.
      I second every word.
      It is a common problem but it is the dentist's responsibility to achieve a good contact between the teeth.
      Dr. Daniel Finkelman
      DMD (2005); BSc Psychology (2007)
      www.TheHagueDentalCare.nl

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Daniel For This Useful Post:

puzzlebit (25th March 2013)