• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Implant Crown Pain

L

lizjackchris

I had an implant placed by an oral surgeon in July 2012 for a missing front tooth. I had a bone graft 6 months prior placed by a Periodontist. No issues and seemed to heal well. In November 2012, I saw a Prosthodontist for the restoration. He took the impression and had a temporary crown made so the gums could be shaped to the contour of the tooth. He put in the temporary implant crown and I was in pain for 10 days until I finally had him remove it. Upon removing the crown, the pain was basically gone. My symptoms were pressure pain, soreness around the margins on the crown and generally a dull, aching feeling with the need to live on advil around the clock. The implant crown felt very rigid and I had a feeling like a stick was shoved into my gum. I hadn't had any pain with just the implant. The pain started with the crown. What is causing the pain? There is not a tooth there! The pain is not coming from another tooth, either. It is somehow related to the crown or the implant?? The Prosthodontist was amazed that I could be in this much discomfort as he has never had to remove a crown because a patient was uncomfortable. He sent me back to the Oral Surgeon who tested the implant to see if it was well anchored in the bone and he also took an x ray and said everything looked fine. The OS did the torque test and I had no pain. Neither dentist could offer any explanation or solution. I chose to go back to the flipper until after Christmas as I was going away. Fast forward to April 1 2013, I went back to the Prosthodontist to try to put the crown on again. He put the same crown back on with some minor alterations. Well, it is now April 7th and I am still in the same pain as I was originally with the crown back on. The Prosthodontist used the same crown and I am having the same issues. It is extremely uncomfortable and when I flossed around the top of the implant crown where it meets the gum, there was a little blood. I plan to call the Prosthodontist tomorrow morning to have the crown removed once again. I just can't stand it as I would rather go back to my flipper. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should proceed? Should I ask for a new crown? Could it be the implant that is bothering me? Could the gum be causing me this much discomfort? It is all so discouraging.:shame: Thanks for your help!

Hi,
It might be the cement that irritated the gums. It could also be a allergic reaction to the temporary crown (especially if it's acryl).

While Dr Daniel has made two good points I would add that you need to be seen by a dentist to diagnose the cause. If your current team is unable to rectify the situation you might want to see an implantologist. An implantologist is a dentist who has a special interest in implants and performs bone grafts, places implants, and restores implants.
I do find it odd that your periodontist placed the bone graft but did not place the implant. Was there a reason for that?

While Dr Daniel has made two good points I would add that you need to be seen by a dentist to diagnose the cause. If your current team is unable to rectify the situation you might want to see an implantologist. An implantologist is a dentist who has a special interest in implants and performs bone grafts, places implants, and restores implants.
I do find it odd that your periodontist placed the bone graft but did not place the implant. Was there a reason for that?

Thank you for your help. My bone graft was started in Quebec by my periodontist. Due to my husband's job we relocated to Alberta. I would have had the same Periodontist complete the whole job in QC but we were relocating. The Periodontist did not want to place the implant as I was getting ready to move.

Hi,
It might be the cement that irritated the gums. It could also be a allergic reaction to the temporary crown (especially if it's acryl).
Thanks for your help. It seems to me like the gums just do not want the crown there. Funny, I am not in pain through the night. It seems it escalates throughout the day as I talk or eat(not putting pressure on crown). When I gently floss the crown, the gums will bleed just a bit and then start to pulse. Not quite a throb but a pulsing sensation. I wonder if the crown is in too tight or to far. Not sure...

Thanks for your help. It seems to me like the gums just do not want the crown there. Funny, I am not in pain through the night. It seems it escalates throughout the day as I talk or eat(not putting pressure on crown). When I gently floss the crown, the gums will bleed just a bit and then start to pulse. Not quite a throb but a pulsing sensation. I wonder if the crown is in too tight or to far. Not sure...

Please could you tell me whatever happened with this. My issue is identical to yours

Please could you tell me whatever happened with this. My issue is identical to yours

Pain with an implant crown is rare.

Pain with an implant crown is rare.

I know it's rare . I have the exact same symtoms that was described as above. It's a front tooth. I had a screw retained but the aesthetics were poor and it was changed to a cement retained. This is when the pain started. My dentist has removed the crown and cleaned, xrayed, there are no occlusion issues. The implant is sound. It's very upsetting. I can't believe I have a tooth that I cannot bite on accompanied by a dull ache ?

sometimes you have to flap the site to find hidden cement

Hi lizjackchris, how is your gum doing??

Ok - so it's 2 months since I've had the crown (and the pain). I went I seen an oral surgeon. He suggested a nightguard which I had done only over a week ago. Maybe it is just coincidence, but the pain is 95% gone. It's either as a result of the night guard (as the oral surgeon suggested I might be hitting it at night with my bottom teeth and I was willing to try ANYTHING even though I didn't think I was) or it's about giving it time to settle down. I had the EXACT symptoms as described in the first post of this thread! ?

I know this is an old thread but I also have the exact symptoms as mentioned above.

I have this on and off sore/tender sensation. I can lightly bite on it with something like toast or a biscuit but anything harder and I get pain.

Dentist has removed the implant and found inflammation at the gum where it meets the crown but found no issues on x-ray and no sign of infection.

He has tried 2 different crowns both using cement. I'm going back for a check up soon... No idea what to do.

Back