• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chewing gum (as in, mint gum) after tooth extraction?

P

Peach

Hi everyone! Firstly can I just say this website has been a godsend to me over the past few weeks, and really helped me get over my phobia knowing i'm not alone!

Anyway yesterday, I finally went to a dentist and had to have a tooth extracted. I don't have stitches, so i'm being very careful with food etc. it's on the top, second from the back. can I chew chewing gum when I go back to work, on the other side of course? we aren't allowed drinks so I know it'll really bother me. thanks!

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Well done :jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::dance2::dance2::yayy: I am not a dentist but I would think that chewing gum would be fine. If you explained that you have just had a tooth removed might they let you have a drink, just this once.

I don't know when you go back to work but if it was done yesterday I think it will be fine. Could you take a bottle of water with you so that when you have to visit the little room you could take a quick drink.

Happy healing :respect::respect::respect: :butterfly:

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Well done :jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::dance2::dance2::yayy: I am not a dentist but I would think that chewing gum would be fine. If you explained that you have just had a tooth removed might they let you have a drink, just this once.

I don't know when you go back to work but if it was done yesterday I think it will be fine. Could you take a bottle of water with you so that when you have to visit the little room you could take a quick drink.

Happy healing :respect::respect::respect: :butterfly:

Aww thank you for that welcome :cupcake:

Yeah I think it should be ok too, but just don't want to get a dreaded dry socket! I go back to work tomorrow, but i'm thinking maybe I should take that day off cause it hurts to talk for too long? (and I work in sales).

Cheers :cloud9:

It is amazing what an extra nights sleep can do. I would see how you feel and if you feel it will make you ache more by talking all day then don't go.

As long as you don't smoke or suck through straws and when you rinse your mouth with the salt water rinse let it dribble out of your mouth instead of spitting it out you should be fine.

You can also brush your teeth but be really careful near the extraction site, you don't want to knock it.

It is normal for your jaw to ache a bit after an extraction, maybe some painkillers will take the pain off. Not everyone needs them but if you feel you do then use them. You don't need special ones from a doctor or anything just paracetamol should do it. :)

That's true! i'll see how the rest of the day goes.

When I got home I did use a straw for a few sips then read not to do that, so hopefully it's fine as it looks like the bloods clotted. I find if I knock it with anything it's with my tongue, i'm trying not to but it's a bit swollen so not easy. i'm taking some paracetamol, I could probably do without them because this ache is nothing compared to the pain pre-extraction :scared: lol

Happy healing and let us know how you get on :)

well, I decided to call into work as it's really annoying to talk. i've developed a bit of a fear of this dry socket thing too, probably just too much reading on the internet... but I never had an actual blood clot IN the socket, it was just kind of chilling on the side near the back tooth. maybe that wasn't even a blood clot, cause it looks like part of the gum now. it does seem to be healing though, the hole is still deep dark red but seems to be getting smaller in size. in a bit of pain, but nothing too bad. not quite 48 hours yet though... :(

Cross everything and take it easy today, the more you can rinse with the salt water the more it will help and soothe the gums. You are doing really well :respect::respect::respect::butterfly:

Cross everything and take it easy today, the more you can rinse with the salt water the more it will help and soothe the gums. You are doing really well :respect::respect::respect::butterfly:

Thank you Carole! :cloud9: I think the socket is closing up but it's got white stuff in it (not bone), i'm hoping that's part of the healing & not some strawberry mousse I ate earlier, lol!

The white stuff is your friend, you want it there, I think it is called graduation tissue, and is most normal in the healing process.

Best wishes and happy healing, well done so far :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::butterfly:

Thanks so much :cloud9:

5 days since the extraction, and it's not hurting, only when I accidentally touch my back tooth. the white stuff disappeared last night though (it came off with some food when rinsing). hoping it won't get really painful.

Edit: I think i'll make a new topic in the support forum soon for some of my anxiety related... stuff.

Last edited:
Hi Peach

I am glad you are feeling better now. Don't worry the white stuff would have been ready to go. I think you will be fine now. It shouldn't get painful now, I think some stuff will make it feel a bit sore every now and again I had a tooth out just over a year ago and still sometimes if I eat crisps my gum can get a bit sore. They do say that after 6 months the gums are totally healed but I think we feel that they are much before that. Another few days and yours will feel back to normal.

Well normal apart from the tooth not being there :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think you have done really well, if your gum ever feels a bit sore just do a salt water rinse and it should help to ease it. You do sound all healed up to me though.

Celebrate :jump::jump::jump::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::yayy::claps::claps::claps::claps::claps::butterfly:

Back