Results 1 to 10 of 10

    Thread: Difference between surgical and simple extraction

    1. #1
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Posts
      44

      Unhappy Difference between surgical and simple extraction

      Hi everyone,

      I am new here and happy to have found this place! I am going to be getting an extraction on tooth #14. I had a root canal on this tooth 10 years ago and it always showed a little shadow on my x-ray but never gave me a problem, until recently. I have bruxism and grind my teeth and wear a nightguard. Well I started getting pain around the old root canal tooth so I went to my dentist. He did an x-ray and said it looked the same as it always did but he referred me to an endodontist to make sure it was ok. Well she said I need another root canal but I don't want to go that route so I saw an oral surgeon and set up an extraction. It is in 3 weeks and I am scared to death! the last extraction I got was my wisdom teeth 25 years ago. (I am 44). On the slip for my appointment it said surgical extraction so I was wondering what the difference is between a simple extraction and a surgical one? Do they cut my gum or something? Are root canaled teeth harder to remove? I am a panicked mess and scared to death! The tooth is not abscessed and I am freaking out thinking it will abscess before my appointment comes. I am just an emotional wreck!

      Thank you so very much for listening and for being here!

      Mich

    2. #2
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      UK
      Gender
      Female
      Posts
      6,456

      Default Re: Difference between surgical and simple extraction

      Hi michisafraid to the forum.

      I am sorry that I cannot answer your question but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you. A dentist will be along soon I am sure that can help. Other than that someone with more knowledge than me might be able to help.

    3. The Following User Says Thank You to carole For This Useful Post:

      michisafraid (16th May 2013)

    4. #3
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Posts
      223

      Important Re: Difference between surgical and simple extraction

      Extractions are often categorized as "simple" or "surgical". Simple extractions are performed on teeth that are visible in the mouth, usually under local anesthetics, and require only the use of instruments to elevate and/or grasp the visible portion of the tooth. Typically the tooth is lifted using an elevator, and subsequently using dental forceps, rocked back and forth until the periodontal ligament has been sufficiently broken and the supporting alveolar bone has been adequately widened to make the tooth loose enough to remove. Surgical extractions involve the removal of teeth that cannot be easily accessed, either because they have broken under the gum line or because they have not erupted fully. In a surgical extraction the doctor may elevate the soft tissues covering the tooth and bone and may also remove some of the overlying and/or surrounding bone tissue with a drill or osteotome. Frequently, the tooth may be split into multiple pieces to facilitate its removal.


      I hope this helps.....I got it from my dentist site....
      Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
      Hi michisafraid to the forum.

      I am sorry that I cannot answer your question but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you. A dentist will be along soon I am sure that can help. Other than that someone with more knowledge than me might be able to help.

    5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hartsada For This Useful Post:

      carole (15th May 2013), michisafraid (16th May 2013)

    6. #4
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      UK
      Gender
      Female
      Posts
      6,456

      Default Re: Difference between surgical and simple extraction

      what she said you sound really clever now

    7. The Following User Says Thank You to carole For This Useful Post:

      hartsada (15th May 2013)

    8. #5
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Posts
      223

      Default Re: Difference between surgical and simple extraction

      Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
      what she said you sound really clever now
      After 20 months of freaking out I have researched it well...

    9. #6
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      UK
      Gender
      Female
      Posts
      6,456

      Default Re: Difference between surgical and simple extraction

      Quote Originally Posted by hartsada View Post
      After 20 months of freaking out I have researched it well...

      Well that is lucky for mich I see I will have to swot more to keep up with you

      I hope all this is helping you mich, excuse me being silly

    10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carole For This Useful Post:

      hartsada (16th May 2013), michisafraid (16th May 2013)

    11. #7
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      Posts
      223

      Default Re: Difference between surgical and simple extraction

      It does but I,still need tooth pulled. Sooner the better.



      Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
      Well that is lucky for mich I see I will have to swot more to keep up with you

      I hope all this is helping you mich, excuse me being silly

    12. #8
      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      UK
      Gender
      Female
      Posts
      6,456

      Default Re: Difference between surgical and simple extraction

      It will soon be here, you never know you might get a cancellation

    13. #9
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Posts
      44

      Default Re: Difference between surgical and simple extraction

      Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
      Hi michisafraid to the forum.

      I am sorry that I cannot answer your question but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you. A dentist will be along soon I am sure that can help. Other than that someone with more knowledge than me might be able to help.

      Thank you carole, I appreciate your welcoming me to the board.

      Mich

    14. The Following User Says Thank You to michisafraid For This Useful Post:

      carole (16th May 2013)

    15. #10
      Join Date
      May 2013
      Posts
      44

      Default Re: Difference between surgical and simple extraction

      Quote Originally Posted by hartsada View Post
      Extractions are often categorized as "simple" or "surgical". Simple extractions are performed on teeth that are visible in the mouth, usually under local anesthetics, and require only the use of instruments to elevate and/or grasp the visible portion of the tooth. Typically the tooth is lifted using an elevator, and subsequently using dental forceps, rocked back and forth until the periodontal ligament has been sufficiently broken and the supporting alveolar bone has been adequately widened to make the tooth loose enough to remove. Surgical extractions involve the removal of teeth that cannot be easily accessed, either because they have broken under the gum line or because they have not erupted fully. In a surgical extraction the doctor may elevate the soft tissues covering the tooth and bone and may also remove some of the overlying and/or surrounding bone tissue with a drill or osteotome. Frequently, the tooth may be split into multiple pieces to facilitate its removal.


      I hope this helps.....I got it from my dentist site....
      Thank you soooo much for the info hartsada, I appreciate it!

    16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michisafraid For This Useful Post:

      carole (16th May 2013), hartsada (16th May 2013)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •