• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Difference between surgical and simple extraction

M

michisafraid

Hi everyone,

I am new here and happy to have found this place! I am going to be getting an extraction on tooth #14. I had a root canal on this tooth 10 years ago and it always showed a little shadow on my x-ray but never gave me a problem, until recently. I have bruxism and grind my teeth and wear a nightguard. Well I started getting pain around the old root canal tooth so I went to my dentist. He did an x-ray and said it looked the same as it always did but he referred me to an endodontist to make sure it was ok. Well she said I need another root canal but I don't want to go that route so I saw an oral surgeon and set up an extraction. It is in 3 weeks and I am scared to death! :( the last extraction I got was my wisdom teeth 25 years ago. (I am 44). On the slip for my appointment it said surgical extraction so I was wondering what the difference is between a simple extraction and a surgical one? Do they cut my gum or something? Are root canaled teeth harder to remove? I am a panicked mess and scared to death! :( The tooth is not abscessed and I am freaking out thinking it will abscess before my appointment comes. I am just an emotional wreck! :redface:

Thank you so very much for listening and for being here!

Mich

Hi michisafraid :welcome: to the forum.

I am sorry that I cannot answer your question but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you. A dentist will be along soon I am sure that can help. Other than that someone with more knowledge than me might be able to help. :butterfly:

Extractions are often categorized as "simple" or "surgical". Simple extractions are performed on teeth that are visible in the mouth, usually under local anesthetics, and require only the use of instruments to elevate and/or grasp the visible portion of the tooth. Typically the tooth is lifted using an elevator, and subsequently using dental forceps, rocked back and forth until the periodontal ligament has been sufficiently broken and the supporting alveolar bone has been adequately widened to make the tooth loose enough to remove. Surgical extractions involve the removal of teeth that cannot be easily accessed, either because they have broken under the gum line or because they have not erupted fully. In a surgical extraction the doctor may elevate the soft tissues covering the tooth and bone and may also remove some of the overlying and/or surrounding bone tissue with a drill or osteotome. Frequently, the tooth may be split into multiple pieces to facilitate its removal.

I hope this helps.....I got it from my dentist site....

I am sorry that I cannot answer your question but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you. A dentist will be along soon I am sure that can help. Other than that someone with more knowledge than me might be able to help. :butterfly:

:wow:what she said :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: you sound really clever now :butterfly:

After 20 months of freaking out I have researched it well...:cry::ROFLMAO:

Well that is lucky for mich I see I will have to swot more to keep up with you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I hope all this is helping you mich, excuse me being silly ;)

It does but I,still need tooth pulled:o. Sooner the better.

Well that is lucky for mich I see I will have to swot more to keep up with you :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I hope all this is helping you mich, excuse me being silly ;)

It will soon be here, you never know you might get a cancellation :butterfly:

Thank you carole, I appreciate your welcoming me to the board. :)

Mich

Extractions are often categorized as "simple" or "surgical". Simple extractions are performed on teeth that are visible in the mouth, usually under local anesthetics, and require only the use of instruments to elevate and/or grasp the visible portion of the tooth. Typically the tooth is lifted using an elevator, and subsequently using dental forceps, rocked back and forth until the periodontal ligament has been sufficiently broken and the supporting alveolar bone has been adequately widened to make the tooth loose enough to remove. Surgical extractions involve the removal of teeth that cannot be easily accessed, either because they have broken under the gum line or because they have not erupted fully. In a surgical extraction the doctor may elevate the soft tissues covering the tooth and bone and may also remove some of the overlying and/or surrounding bone tissue with a drill or osteotome. Frequently, the tooth may be split into multiple pieces to facilitate its removal.

I hope this helps.....I got it from my dentist site....

Thank you soooo much for the info hartsada, I appreciate it! :)

Back