• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Punched and scared I'm gonna lose my teeth? Please help :(

L

Lottie_11

I went out on a date with a new guy last night. I have a very large bust so unfortunately I am often the target for creeps, perverts and idiots and always get stares/comments/things shouted out etc. I am used to it so I ignore it and don't even notice it. The guy I was with however was not used to it and seemed to take other men staring as some kind of personal attack. We were in a pub and I went to re-do my lipstick in the ladies; when walking back a group of men sat at a table whistled and shouted something out (I didn't hear exactly what they said). My date was sat at a nearby table and came over and started shouting at them to show some respect and before I know it they were on their feet. My date went to punch one of the guys so I tried to get in the middle to stop them and got punched right in the mouth. Not full force, I think it was just the side of his fist or something.

I didn't realise at first but my lip was bleeding, on closer inspection I think my teeth went through my lip, there is a mark/cut on the outside of my lip underneath and also a mark/cut on the inside of my lip. I went home, my lip was ever so slightly swollen (but not much). It didn't bleed much. I cleaned it with gauze and saline and tried to irrigate it with the saline to see how deep the cut was but it was hard to tell. I applied some antiseptic on the cut under my lip and washed the cut inside the lip with non alcohol mouthwash. When I woke up this morning it hurt a bit more, and my lip felt more swollen although it doesn't look swollen. It'd be too late for stitches wouldn't it? , (although I don't think I need them anyway). What is worrying me though is that my gums/bottom teeth hurt, all of them. They are all still there and not loose but I read online that this sort of injury can damage the nerves which may lead to the teeth dying?

So here is my problem: I HATE going to the dentist, really really hate it. It is Sunday today so dentist is closed anyway. I have one female dentist that I trust and see when I need to, she knows me and is used to me and how I panic. I saw my dentist a few weeks ago for an unrelated problem and she'd mentioned that she'd be visiting her country of origin for a few weeks, so I don't think she will be there. If I call tomorrow and she's not there I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't want to see anyone else as I'll be far more anxious. I'm also worried about what would happen if they did an x ray and saw there had been some damage...would I need root canals or something, on all the teeth? How will I know if the teeth are damaged? I get my teeth whitened and use daily white strips to prevent stains building up, that contain hydrogen peroxide...should I stop using these until I know if there's any damage?

And lastly, I know it's probably impossible to say, but how likely is it that the teeth will be damaged/fall out?

Thank you very much to anyone that replies any and all advice appreciated x:shame:

Hello,
I'm not a dentist so I really can't tell you about your teeth..It must be very traumatic to go through this..I would think that you could call your woman dentist and see if she is around to look at your teeth.If not I would find a different dentist to just take xrays and see the condition of your teeth...You can always wait for your female dentist to get back to do any necessary work on them if needed..Hope everything turns out for you..

Chances are you'll be fine Lottie_11.

Nothing loose -- that's good.

I've been on the sharp end of a few fisticuffs before too, and you'll be surprised how strong your teeth and gums can be!

If your gums start bleeding, see a dentist. The pain will otherwise probably subside after a few days.

I hope the incident doesn't jeopardise your new relationship. Your new date showed great valour. And his :respect:valour is a great virtue, especially since he was outnumbered.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi, just read your tale and wanted to reassure you. Firstly, you probably won't need stitches for your lip if the cut is small and there is little swelling.
Secondly, you would expect the teeth to be tender after taking a punch, the goodness is that teeth can be really good at recovering. So long as the teeth aren't loose (and I mean really loose) then the first line of treatment is just to watch and see. You will need xrays to check for damage but its probably too early to tell about nerve damage.
My advise is to go see another dentist at the same practice, get everything checked andxrayed, then your regular dentist can review the xrays, and probably get additional ones when she's back off holiday.
Don't whiten for a few weeks to be on the safe side.

Back