• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very Sick - Cheek/Buccal Infection After Extraction

K

kayleeamanda

Hi everyone,

I don't have a dental fear or phobia, but I wanted to get some advice because there seems to be quite a few knowledgeable individuals on here. I only have two wisdom teeth. Only the top two. The bottom two never grew in. My dentist determined one of my upper wisdom teeth (the only erupted one) had a cavity. He booked me in for extraction under IV sedation, but my veins are so finicky and I was dehydrated (they ended up trying for a vein 12 times!) but no luck. I booked an appt with an oral maxillofacial surgeon.

On Thurs May 30th, I went in and had my teeth out. For those of you who are afraid, the two nurses were SO nice. SO SO nice. So accommodating. I was asleep before they even put the G/A stuff in my IV (I was tired). Anyways, I said some embarrassing things (is the doctor going to be cuter this time? - in front of the doctor) but in the end, they thought I was hilarious.

Got home, ate my jello and pudding. Everything was GREAT! I was given a script for taradol and peridex to rinse with. Friday I was driving people around town, shopping, no pain, minor swelling on the 'impacted' tooth side.

Saturday, wow. The pain meds were becoming really useless. Started to take things on the side (advil). No dice.

Sunday, my swelling is now becoming a planetoid and I am vomiting every 20 minutes. My mom called the oral surgeon for me because I couldn't talk and he said "Oh, she's vomiting? That's unfortunate. Probably due to the hematoma in her cheek" (??????????). My swelling is hardened and spreading.

Monday, my dad takes me to emerge as I wake up at 7 am and the swelling is under my eye and over my eyebrow causing immense pressure. Everyone is staring at me like I'm a freak. Nurses are bringing me ice packs and patting my head. This was a routine extraction, why all these issues? Anyways, emerge doctor says "who did this to you???? Why did he let you leave with antibiotics???" and puts me on a course of broad spectrum antibiotics and some new better pain meds (atasol).

Tuesday, no relief from either the anti's or the pain meds so I called the oral surgeon. It was a last resort thing for me. In my eyes, he was the butcher who did this for me and didn't seem to care. His callous secretary told me "oh gee, sorry but we are fully booked all day" well thats too bad! The pressure is insane and I feel like my eye or ear are going to pop off. They manage to squeeze me in after lunch.

I went and they did an x ray. The surgeon explained that there was no sinus involvement and no tooth fragments. He then opened my mouth and said "Oh my GOD look at all that pus" and ran for a huge needle of peridex I think. He started poking my inner cheek and letting the pus and blood drain in my mouth (causing me a lot of pain) and then he squirted the peridex in there. I had to hold the blood and pus and peridex in my mouth while he ran to find a basin for me to spit it out in. He did this about four times and then had his nurse give me a clindomycin shot and I left with less pressure and a script for clindomycin.

I have to go back tomorrow and I am scared that he is going to drain it again. It was sooooo painful, my dental assistant friends could not believe he did it without numbing me first. I also don't know if he is treating me respectfully. I don't know why I am going back tomorrow (obviously to be drained again as it refilled but he doesn't feel the need to explain to me anything. I google everything). Should he not have just put a drain tube in? I can't keep going back every other day to be drained.

I sooooooo wish I just had the one problem tooth out. This one was snug in my gum and not causing me any pain but he said I should remove it "while I was a student and while I had insurance" and now look! I haven't been at work in a week and I haven't seen my kids in four days :(

Thanks for reading! Appreciate any input!

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

I am sorry you had to go through this, if Dr Daniel is still on here you could pm him or skype him, he is a dentist and may be able to better advise you than I could. I would not feel like going back to see this man either. Could you ask to see someone else there or is it just him. I would write and complain when you feel you can as this is not right.

I wish you good luck and all the best, sorry I cannot be of any more help. I really do feel for you, which doesn't help you but at least you are not alone in this. It is good that you have family and friends around you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::hug5::hug5::butterfly:

Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

I am sorry you had to go through this, if Dr Daniel is still on here you could pm him or skype him, he is a dentist and may be able to better advise you than I could. I would not feel like going back to see this man either. Could you ask to see someone else there or is it just him. I would write and complain when you feel you can as this is not right.

I wish you good luck and all the best, sorry I cannot be of any more help. I really do feel for you, which doesn't help you but at least you are not alone in this. It is good that you have family and friends around you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5::hug5::hug5::butterfly:
soo sorry you are going through all this, that just sounds horrible and I would not go back to that surgeon and find another one nearby.

Back