• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Clot seems to disappear after a day

H

Helios

First, let me say that this site is awesome! It definitely alleviated a number of fears that I had about going to the dentist (which is why I haven't gone in a VERY long time).

Short background: I just had a tooth extracted on Wednesday afternoon (first molar) due to an infection. I followed all the instructions (didn't even eat when I came home) as soon as I came home. I replaced my gauze pad every 30 mins for about 2 hours (the last replacement showed barely any blood). I've placed an ice pack for 20 min on/10 min off, no smocking/sucking/spitting/etc and I'm sleeping on a few pillows to alleviate my head as well as do a salt rinse every few hours (especially in the morning and after meals). I've also been taking Ibuprofen as soon as I got home, every 4 hours and experience no pain (knock on wood), as well as finishing up my antibiotics (which I've been taking for about a week before the extraction).

I have a few questions, just to make sure that everything is going according to plan:

1) The first day, it looked like I had a blood clot (the site had a dark red "film" over it). However, when I checked the next day (about 12-24 hours later), the area looks like it has a white/gray material inside with a few red/pink dots. I know that granulation tissue is suppose to form, but how long before that happens and the clot disappears?

2) How long before I can start chewing and eating "regular" foods? I've been eating mashed sweet potatoes, oatmeal, jello, etc for the past two days.

Thank you so much for making this site and helping others!

Hi Helios :welcome: to the forum.

You can eat as normal as you feel able to on the other side of course. I will put a couple of links here for you they may help you with some ideas for what to eat. You are safe from dry socket after 72 hours usually, you sound as if you are doing well.

I don't know how long things take as everyone is different, if you get a lot of pain that keeps you awake and normal pain meds don't work or if you are at all worried then do see your dentist.

Well done you for going and getting the extraction :jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::dance2::thumbsup::dance2::dance2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::yay::yay::yay::yayy::butterfly:

Back