• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

question about recovery time for "all on four" implant

starryblu

starryblu

well, i did it...and actually survived!

i was here a while back, asking questions about IV sedation for my "all on four" fixed bridge. i was so terrified, but the procedure itself was actually pretty easy. took twice as much time as i was scheduled for, but it's been worth the pain and anxiety. my bridge looks absolutely awesome :)

i am wondering if anyone has had experience in how long the recovery time for the procedure is. i know that everyone is different, of course! my dentist had originally told me that i would be able to return to work the next day. i had the procedure done on last wednesday (7-10) and i am still in quite a bit of pain, now four days later. i was told i would be in a bit of pain, as i had a lot of work done. quite a bit of jaw bone trimmed, implants, 8 extractions. it really has been painful, but i can deal with that. my plan had been to return to work tomorrow, but i can't make a decision. while i'm not hurting as bad as i was, i'm still in a fair amount of pain. i was told by one of the techs that i shouldn't feel bad if i were to miss tomorrow as well.

the problem is, i don't feel like i'm getting much better. still only eating squishy stuff...yougurt, pudding, mashed potatoes, etc. i am concerned about going back to work. i am totally ok with feeling bad while working. i'm worried because my place of employment is not climate controlled. i live in southeastern USA, and the weather is predicted to be in the 90's. my job doesn't allow lighter duties, or (i wish!) hanging out where there's ac. i'm supposed to be up to par and able to perform my job as usual.

sooo....curious what is a general recovery time for the procedure. i don't want to sit around moping like a baby if it's all in my head. but if i return to work, i will have to do it without pain meds, as i work with heavy machinery. i'm not sure if it's my issue of being phobic that is putting my head in a bad place, or if it really IS too soon to return.

i would sure appreciate the input! i need to get back to work, but don't want to get there and have to leave. that's happened in the past, when i thought i had recovered from a steroid shot for my back and the heat made me sick. and i'm definitely missing my income, so if i am able to work, that's where i should be!

thanks so much

I'm glad that you were able to get through the procedure. One big grip of mine is the major sales tactics that go with many of these procedures that convince patients that all their problems will be solved by these implants or crowns or veneers. I do perform major treatment but I always tell patients what to expect both short term and long term. Every solution comes with its problems.

well done on getting through it all.
We've provided lots of Allon4 treatments and we never say to expect to go back to work next day.
Everyone is a bit different but it generally takes 5-7 days to start getting used to the new shapes and feel of the bridge. Even then you'll still feel clumsy for a few weeks: niggles and gripes can continue for a month.
You should now be through the worst though - use plenty of icepacks and analgesics as advised.
If you don't feel up to going to work then don't.
Once everything has settled you'll feel a lot better.

Back