• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How long after tooth extraction can I eat on that side and brush the area?

M

michisafraid

Hi,

I had my upper molar extracted (#14) 2 weeks and three days ago. It is healing nicely, a tad slowly, but nicely. I just wanted to ask when I can begin to eat on that side of my mouth and when I can brush the actual socket? I am still eating on the other side and still using a Q-tip for the two teeth next to the socket. I am also still using the salt water rinses and just being careful. I don't want to mess anything up. ;)

Thanks,
Mich

Re: How long after tooth extraction can I eat on that side and brush the area?

Hi,

you should be brushing it gently by now :):)

Eat and brush as you feel comfortable doing. Start off gently so you don't make the socket sore, you should be fine now. Do be careful with crisps my tooth has been out a year but eating crisps can make the gum quite sore, and some times other foods can also do this. Just eat what you feel you can. :butterfly:

Eat and brush as you feel comfortable doing. Start off gently so you don't make the socket sore, you should be fine now. Do be careful with crisps my tooth has been out a year but eating crisps can make the gum quite sore, and some times other foods can also do this. Just eat what you feel you can. :butterfly:

Thank you Carole! I had a problem with light bleeding/oozing for days after my extraction and it had finally gone away and stayed away for 6 days. Well this morning I had a teeny little bit of bleeding and now everytime I rinse I have it. I went to my dentist this afternoon and he said it is healing fine but it is a little red and inflamed but it is how most everyone's looks to him at 2 weeks 3 days post-extraction so he said not to worry. I asked him if I needed to take an antibiotic and he said no. Well the dentist last week said I could if I would feel better but I never did take it, until today. I just feel perhaps I would get the boost my socket needs to heal with the help of an antibiotic. Crossing fingers and toes here, lol I am really sick of this now...I have had problems with bleeding post-extraction and I thought that was over but it is not, urgggggg

I remember you having bleeding problems.
Although the bleeding is not nice antibiotics will not help. I wouldn't take them for this reason. I am surprised your dentist said this to you. Maybe he saw how upset you were getting and thought it might help you mentally.

Antibiotics only help calm infection down as far as I know, and as you don't have any infection I can't see what good they would do, but I am not a dentist.

I wouldn't think you would do any damage to eat or brush now, but if you don't like the blood I can see how it would put you off. I have heard people say that they use cordysol but I don't know if it would help you.

I am sorry I am not much help but let us know how you get on. I am hoping someone that has suffered this may have some wise words for you. :butterfly:

I remember you having bleeding problems.
Although the bleeding is not nice antibiotics will not help. I wouldn't take them for this reason. I am surprised your dentist said this to you. Maybe he saw how upset you were getting and thought it might help you mentally.

Antibiotics only help calm infection down as far as I know, and as you don't have any infection I can't see what good they would do, but I am not a dentist.

I wouldn't think you would do any damage to eat or brush now, but if you don't like the blood I can see how it would put you off. I have heard people say that they use cordysol but I don't know if it would help you.

I am sorry I am not much help but let us know how you get on. I am hoping someone that has suffered this may have some wise words for you. :butterfly:

Thank you Carole! Yes he gave me the antibiotic last week to take for my mental state. I went in to him a wreck and today even more scared. :( I held off taking them as I don't like antibiotics and don't take them much but I did start them today. It is Doxycycline 100 mg tablets. I am allergic to penicillin and only take Doxycycline when I need an antibiotic and it always works very well for me. I guess my mind believes since I am healing so slow and having bleeding issues the antibiotic will help even though he said it isn't infected. I look at extraction pictures on Google images and the nice healed up ones look healthy and here I am, 2.5 weeks later with my socket looking like I am just a week post extraction and I get sad. I had blood work done a few months ago and they checked my clotting time or whatever that test is and it was completely normal so I don't know why my socket wants to bleed still. And I will need another extraction in another tooth in the near future! I am already flipping out. The extraction went fine (zero pain) but my healing has been hard. :(

Thank you again Carole for being here and being so sweet,
Mich

Are you salt water rinsing a few times a day? I didnt see anyone say that. It help alot, it stops the pain and heals it up. I had an extraction and it took a few months before I was ok with eating on that side, baby steps wiith cream soups soft foods on that side, you'll desensatize it a bit extracitons suck, stay away from the alchol mouthwashes and just salt water rinse and you'll notice everything calm way down. Just pat yourself on the back and do baby steps, you'll notice when you swish with the salt water it toughens up the tissue and heals pretty quick.

Thank you Carole! Yes he gave me the antibiotic last week to take for my mental state. I went in to him a wreck and today even more scared. :( I held off taking them as I don't like antibiotics and don't take them much but I did start them today. It is Doxycycline 100 mg tablets. I am allergic to penicillin and only take Doxycycline when I need an antibiotic and it always works very well for me. I guess my mind believes since I am healing so slow and having bleeding issues the antibiotic will help even though he said it isn't infected. I look at extraction pictures on Google images and the nice healed up ones look healthy and here I am, 2.5 weeks later with my socket looking like I am just a week post extraction and I get sad. I had blood work done a few months ago and they checked my clotting time or whatever that test is and it was completely normal so I don't know why my socket wants to bleed still. And I will need another extraction in another tooth in the near future! I am already flipping out. The extraction went fine (zero pain) but my healing has been hard. :(

Thank you again Carole for being here and being so sweet,
Mich

Mich don't compare yourself to others, everyone heals at a different rate. The bleeding could be that you have a bit of gum disease which is not drastic so don't panic. But sometimes we get pockets in the gum that can get food down and this can cause bleeding. It is very common and a dentist will tell us when we are missing places and tell us to make sure to get the area. So if before you had the extraction you had a slight, easy to sort out gum issue then that could be the problem.

It is still quite early days after the extraction so don't feel you should be all tip top and skipping around, like I said everyone is different. We get to a certain stage after treatment and all of a sudden things seem to just be right again.

As long as your dentist and doctor have checked things out, and everything is fine then I wouldn't worry, or try not to.

I had a filling yesterday and the injection site which is on my upper gum is really sore today, which I haven't experienced for a long time, I have just had loads of injections on my bottom gum with no real after effects. So it just goes to show you things effect us differently even when it is on our own mouths. Your next extraction could heal completely differently to this one, you might not have any after bleeding at all. We just don't know, these things are very sort term, even though at the moment you probably feel it will never end but if you think it may be three or four weeks out of the year it isn't much to feel pain free and comfortable for the rest of your life with this tooth.

I hope this helps you a bit, I think you did say that you are rinsing still with the salt water in your first post on this thread, it will help but at the worst it cannot do any harm. You may get fed up with the salt taste but small price to pay I think.

Keep at it you will get there :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:you are doing really well :butterfly:

Are you salt water rinsing a few times a day? I didnt see anyone say that. It help alot, it stops the pain and heals it up. I had an extraction and it took a few months before I was ok with eating on that side, baby steps wiith cream soups soft foods on that side, you'll desensatize it a bit extracitons suck, stay away from the alchol mouthwashes and just salt water rinse and you'll notice everything calm way down. Just pat yourself on the back and do baby steps, you'll notice when you swish with the salt water it toughens up the tissue and heals pretty quick.

Thank you so much penny_e! I have been doing the salt water rinses and they do help. :) It makes me feel better to hear it took you a few months before you were okay eating on that side. I may be the same way. I don't want to eat on it yet. I think I will know when I am ready but it isn't yet...it is still too tender. Thank you for your kind reply, I appreciate it!

Mich don't compare yourself to others, everyone heals at a different rate. The bleeding could be that you have a bit of gum disease which is not drastic so don't panic. But sometimes we get pockets in the gum that can get food down and this can cause bleeding. It is very common and a dentist will tell us when we are missing places and tell us to make sure to get the area. So if before you had the extraction you had a slight, easy to sort out gum issue then that could be the problem.

It is still quite early days after the extraction so don't feel you should be all tip top and skipping around, like I said everyone is different. We get to a certain stage after treatment and all of a sudden things seem to just be right again.

As long as your dentist and doctor have checked things out, and everything is fine then I wouldn't worry, or try not to.

I had a filling yesterday and the injection site which is on my upper gum is really sore today, which I haven't experienced for a long time, I have just had loads of injections on my bottom gum with no real after effects. So it just goes to show you things effect us differently even when it is on our own mouths. Your next extraction could heal completely differently to this one, you might not have any after bleeding at all. We just don't know, these things are very sort term, even though at the moment you probably feel it will never end but if you think it may be three or four weeks out of the year it isn't much to feel pain free and comfortable for the rest of your life with this tooth.

I hope this helps you a bit, I think you did say that you are rinsing still with the salt water in your first post on this thread, it will help but at the worst it cannot do any harm. You may get fed up with the salt taste but small price to pay I think.

Keep at it you will get there :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:you are doing really well :butterfly:

Thank you Carole! I shall print this out and read it when I get real scared and panicked. You have helped me so much and I am so very grateful - thank you!

I am so sorry you have pain in the injection site on your gum. :( You are so right and I have noticed this over the years that different things effect us differently even in our own mouths! I hope your gum feels better, maybe rinsing with salt water would help it feel better. I have gum disease and have had 3 quadrants that had gum surgery (Lanap) and I used salt water after and that seemed to calm the gums down a lot. :)

I hope you have a lovely day, thank you so much again for everything Carole! :)
Mich

Glad I helped a little bit :)

One thing I don't know if I mentioned it to you before but sometimes cold, not freezing just cool, salt water rinses help to soothe the gums better than warm ones. :butterfly:

Back