• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Faith Is Taking The First Step

C

CrazyCrafter

And I'm about to take the first step! In case you haven't read the post I put over in the Support forum here's my story. I'm 21 and I haven't been to the dentist is quite some time because the last time I went the dentist used an instrument to scrape my teeth and gums and my whole mouth was red and sore when she was done. I also have a bad gag reflex and in the process of her scraping she made me gag really bad and wouldn't stop even when I was fidgeting and trying to tell her to stop. The current state of my mouth is that I am having excruciating pain from one of the teeth in the back that I believe needs to be pulled. My front top teeth have some decay, and one of them has a small chip from a fall I took awhile back. The front teeth don't hurt me, I just hope the dentist can give me fillings or something to make them look at least a little better. I would be thrilled to be able to smile in pictures and not be concerned if anyone sees my teeth. I just applied for dental insurance and that will be in effect and ready to use Sept 1st and I plan to make an appointment with a new dentist the first week of September. I am scared and somewhat embarrassed that I let it go this far, but I am also oddly excited to do what I know needs to be done. I just keep telling myself to focus on the end result which will hopefully be a smile I am proud of. It probably won't be easy but it has to be better than living with pain and be uncomfortable with the way I look. Wish me luck, I may need it!

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: you will be fine.

It is scary but with the right dentist you will be able to get the treatment you need and the visits will be easier to handle the more you go.

All the best to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

So today I called my first choice dentist and she is accepting new patients! So I went ahead and made an appointment because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get my nerve up to call back, so anyway my appointment is September 26th at noon. I'm so nervous but I'm also excited that I am finally facing my fears. Just making that call made me feel like I am taking control of my fears and not letting my fears control me. For a long time I thought the dentist was the enemy but now I see that my fears of the dentist is the real enemy. I just keep reminding myself that the dentist is there to help me feel and look better, not to cause me pain and ridicule. So as I count down the days to D-Day (dentist day) I am going to keep myself busy and try not to worry.

Well done CrazyCrafter! You've taken a big brave step and should be proud of your self for that! :thumbsup!:

I like the way you described that you used to see dentists as 'the enemy' as that's exactly how I used to see them! It's good that you now realise they are only going to try and help you and not hurt you. I faced my fear and started my dental journey in Feb and have now almost finished my treatment plan (I needed a lot doing) In that time he's helped me overcome my fear and I now trust him completely. He's now my 'friend' rather than my 'enemy'! It is important that you find the right dentist for you, one you can built up trust with.

Good luck for your appointment :clover::clover::clover: I'm sure you will find it a lot less scary than you are currently imagining it to be. Let us know how it goes. :XXLhug:

Just remember that if, at any time, the dentist does or says something you don't like, you can STOP that appointment. You should expect to be treated respectfully and painlessly.................if ANYTHING bothers you during the exam or treatment, the dentist SHOULD stop and ask you what's wrong and tell you what she's going to do to correct it.
Much :clover: :clover: :clover: :clover: and many :grouphug:!!!

I received the new patient forms in the mail and as I was looking them over I saw the dreaded question "When was your last dental exam?" ...I honestly do not remember when my last visit was so I'm going to make a close estimate. I have a weird mix of feelings about going to the dentist, I'm scared, excited, worried, and nervous all at the same time. Some days I can't wait to go and other days I wanna call and cancel. But I refuse to cancel, I have came a long way just by making that appointment and I'm not gonna back out now. Every time I think about cancelling I write down all my reasons for why I don't wanna go in a notebook and then I make a list of the reasons I should go, and every time the reasons for going far out weigh the excuses for not going. It sounds silly but it really helps me to put things into perspective. And thanks for all your kind words of encouragement!

I think you have done really well making the appointment. I think the writing the pros and cons list is a good idea too that probably many on here will adopt.

All the best for your appointment :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

My dental phobia makes me so irrational towards my fears! I'm usually a rather logical person but when it comes to my fears of the dentist logic goes right out the window! As crazy as it may sound sometimes I have to tell myself what I would tell a friend in the same situation. Here's an example of some of the thoughts that run through my mind when I think about my upcoming appointment and what I would say to someone in my shoes.

"What if my mouth is the worst the Dr has ever seen and tells me there's nothing that can be done?!"
A: it's doubtful your mouth is the WORST EVER.

"What if the dentist does something that causes me pain?"
A: It's a doctors office so they most likely have stuff for pain relief.

"What if the dentist scolds me for having bad teeth?"
A: Get up and leave, then find a more caring dentist.

"What if I freak out and start crying?"
A: So what, everyone cries!

So as you can see I know that some of my fears are irrational but that doesn't stop me from being fearful! That's the worst thing about a phobia!

I think you have the right answers, it is always much worse waiting for the appointment than the actual appointment. Good luck :clover::clover::clover::butterfly:

So tomorrow is the big day, my first dentist appointment about 7 years! I'm so nervous about what will happen, what will be said and I'm even obsessing about things that have nothing to do with the dentist, like what I'm gonna wear! A small part of me is wishing I didn't have to go but the fact is I DO have to go! I just keep thinking that if I took better care of my teeth then I wouldn't be in this situation but no matter how much I wish I did things differently it won't change the past. I just have to deal with the present situation the best I possibly can. I just keep thinking of the worst that could happen even though I know I shouldn't! I'll post an update as soon as I can! Thanks for all your support and kind words!!

Today is the day! I'm both excited and scared! I didn't really get any sleep last night due to worrying about my appointment. But I still got up this morning, ate breakfast, showered and got dressed. I'm trying to stick to my regular morning routine as much as I can so I don't obsess over this appointment! Today is my first step on the road to being fear free and having a smile I am proud of!!

I actually made it through my appointment without freaking out! They couldn't do much yesterday because she said I have a mild infection and prescribed me some antibiotics. But she did say the tooth that's been causing me pain has to come out and so do a couple of other back teeth. I also have to have my wisdom teeth removed. I go to see the oral surgeon October 24th. She also said its possible that one of my top canine tooth may have to come out, but she said she would do whatever she could to try and save it and if nothing can be done I could get an implant. I know this will be a long and possibly painful (mostly emotionally painful) journey but it has to be done and if I don't do anything it will only get worse. I'm so proud that I've made it this far! My dentist was super nice, so was her staff. And I know I mentioned I was afraid of being scolded for not taking care of my teeth but I wasn't! She and her staff didn't say anything that made me feel bad about myself. They were very professional and made me feel comfortable.

My oral surgeon appointment is getting closer and I'm trying my best not to freak out!

Good luck for your appointment :clover::clover::clover:

Just read through your journal, CrazyCrafter, and I'm so proud of you!

Congratulations on making that appointment and getting started towards a healthier mouth.

The waiting is definitely the worst part. Try to keep yourself distracted with whatever you can-- work, to-do lists, etc. I can tell you that the extractions I had were WAY easier than I ever imagined. No pain at all, during or after, and other than eating mushy foods for a couple of days after, I didn't even really have any discomfort. And, you should feel immediately relief from the pain that your bad tooth is causing you.

Good luck, and keep being proud of yourself... you're doing great!

Steve In Cleveland you're absolutely right, waiting for the appointment is the worst part! All kinds of irrational and crazy thoughts come to mind while waiting. But I keep telling myself that I made it through the first appointment and I can make it through everything else. I've come too far to not finish what I started. I realize that my journey to a healthy mouth and a smile I'm proud of will be a long journey, but not doing anything will only cause me more pain in the long run. I'm so glad to hear that your extractions went so well, I don't know how many horror stories I've heard that I keep trying to block out!

I made it through my oral surgeon appointment! I'll admit I was super nervous going into the office, by the time I was in the dental chair I was shaking! But the nurses and doctor were so nice they made me feel comfortable. They hooked me up to the EKG and after sitting there for a few minutes I began to calm down. The only real pain I felt was the slight sting from the IV they put in my arm for the anesthesia (propofol 10mg). Then they put the oxygen mask on me and the last thing I remember is looking at the clock on the wall right before I fell asleep. Then I woke up in the recovery room feeling sleepy and a little dizzy. My face was so numb I didn't even realize I had gauze in my mouth until the nurse said it was time to change it. I sat up and felt dizzy so I had to sit there for a little while before I could walk. It took about 3 hours for the anesthesia to wear off. I did get sick and vomit once but they said that was normal and a side effect of the anesthesia. They gave me a prescription for percocet and told me to take one when I felt the anesthesia wearing off, so I took one and it helped with the soreness. I had to change my gauze every hour, which was easy to do. It is now two days after my surgery and my jaws are still a little sore and slightly swollen. So I am sticking with a soft food diet for now. Overall, my surgery went a lot better than I was expecting it would. I think the worst part was the days leading up to my appointment, but it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be! I do have another appointment next month, November 20th, with the hygienist.

:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump: well done WhooooooooooooooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Happy healing :cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::dance2::dance2::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::yayy::claps::claps::claps::yayy::butterfly:

I made it through my oral surgeon appointment! I'll admit I was super nervous going into the office, by the time I was in the dental chair I was shaking! But the nurses and doctor were so nice they made me feel comfortable. They hooked me up to the EKG and after sitting there for a few minutes I began to calm down. The only real pain I felt was the slight sting from the IV they put in my arm for the anesthesia (propofol 10mg). Then they put the oxygen mask on me and the last thing I remember is looking at the clock on the wall right before I fell asleep. Then I woke up in the recovery room feeling sleepy and a little dizzy. My face was so numb I didn't even realize I had gauze in my mouth until the nurse said it was time to change it. I sat up and felt dizzy so I had to sit there for a little while before I could walk. It took about 3 hours for the anesthesia to wear off. I did get sick and vomit once but they said that was normal and a side effect of the anesthesia. They gave me a prescription for percocet and told me to take one when I felt the anesthesia wearing off, so I took one and it helped with the soreness. I had to change my gauze every hour, which was easy to do. It is now two days after my surgery and my jaws are still a little sore and slightly swollen. So I am sticking with a soft food diet for now. Overall, my surgery went a lot better than I was expecting it would. I think the worst part was the days leading up to my appointment, but it was no where near as bad as I thought it would be! I do have another appointment next month, November 20th, with the hygienist.

Thank you for the journal! Now it's been a few weeks since your surgery, how are you feeling and healing?

Good luck for the 20th and well done!

Thank you for the journal! Now it's been a few weeks since your surgery, how are you feeling and healing?

Good luck for the 20th and well done!

I am feeling wonderful! My mouth has healed nicely, as I mentioned I did have some mild pain the first couple of days but that was all. For the first week after my surgery my jaw muscles were slightly tight and I couldn't open my mouth very wide. The swelling was gone within the first week, I did not bruise like some people do. I honestly can't even tell they removed any teeth in my mouth.

Back