• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Havent been dentist for 18 years and terrified

B

blondie45

Hi all, just looking for abit of advice and support really, iv been terrified of dentists since having a bad experience at 15 and im now 33 and havent been since. Iv finally plucked up the courage and got my first appointment next thurs and i feel sick at the thought of going but know iv got to go. Im just so worried what they will say,iv got receding gums at the bottom and a really crooked tooth at the top and they are quite yellow. I just dont want to feel humiliated, im so scared!! Does anyone know wot they can do for my crooked tooth? Im too old for braces? And also can they fix receding gums? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Hi blondie45.

:jump: Well done on taking the first step and making an appointment, it is the right thing to do but I know it won't have been easy. The waiting is by far the worst part and the actual appointment is usually nowhere near as bad as you are no doubt imagining it to be. You will find dentistry has changed quite a lot (for the better) since your last visit. Dentists are there to help you not to judge you, if the dentist you see Thursday doesn't make you feel totally comfortable leave and find one who does. (I know you'll find it hard to believe atm but there lots of lovely understanding dentist out there!).

I'm sure they will be able to do plenty to help you, they will talk through the options with you at your appointment. They will only do treatment that you consent to and are comfortable with and only when you are ready. I'm pretty sure you could still get braces too if you need to.

You may be better posting your questions about braces and gum recession in the 'Your dentistry questions answered section' as that's where the dentists usually 'hang out' on here! They can give you more accurate answers (If you post pics that helps them give even better answers!)

Hope this helps a little. Good luck :clover::clover::clover: for Thursday, I'm sure you will be fine! Oh and you get a great proud feeling when you come out of the surgery to! :XXLhug: :XXLhug: :XXLhug:

Hi spanna, thanks so much for replying to my post, its just so nice to talk to people that understand. Yes im sure the appointment wont be half as bad as im expecting!! Thanks again x

Do you think that you could post how the appointment goes? I went for the first time ever (I'm 15) last week and couldn't get the cleaning because I had freaked out, but I'm scheduled to go back and I too am freaking out again! If you could post how it goes that'd be great. :)

Hi, blondie. I just wanted to say I'm in the same boat with you. I'm also 33 and I haven't had a cleaning or a real exam since I was 19. I have my first appointment in over fourteen years this afternoon. I also have yellow teeth, a chipped tooth, and one that is broken, plus a couple of teeth I believe may have cavities. So, I also worry about the judgment and embarrassment.

However, the place I called was friendly on the phone and I'm trying to think of this as a good thing, even though I am very, very nervous and anxious. I'm telling myself that this isn't a scary thing, but a positive, healthy thing. It would only be scary if I let it go on another five or ten years.

Just keep telling yourself that you can do this. You really can, and you'll be glad you did. Three hours from now, I'll be on my way home and so relieved that I finally went.

Back