Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Root Canal really needed ?

Default Root Canal really needed ?

Dear Forum Members

Attached herewith is my xray .. looking at the xray of the middle tooth in the image .. is a root canal really needed ?

xray.jpg

Default Re: Root Canal really needed ?

*thread bump*

request the experts to please advise regarding my question above .. i have got two conflicting opinions from different dentists so far and so need a third opinion .. thanks in advance

Hi augmentin123,

Hopefully one of our dentist members will be able to lend a professional opinion. I'm not a dentist or in any way qualified to read your x-ray, so I won't even try to give you an unqualified opinion.

What I can tell you from personal experience is that sometimes the x-ray isn't 100% definitive. I've had dentists tell me, "I'm pretty sure this needs a root canal, but I won't know until I get in there." There's a pretty clear protocol for the correct course of treatment, but often the x-ray doesn't completely reveal the extent of the decay. Once the decay is removed, the dentist can make a better determination. In general, my understanding is that the dentist will not proceed to a root canal if a filling will suffice.

Unfortunately you have no good way to tell if Dr. Filling is being overly optimistic, or if Dr. Rootcanal is being overly pessimistic. You are, however, well within your rights to phone each dentist and ask them to discuss risk and options with you. You can ask Dr. Rootcanal if there's any chance the tooth might just need a filling, and you can ask Dr. Filling if there's any chance the decay is deeper and might require a root canal.

That's the problem with getting a second opinion in anything: if the two experts disagree, you have to kind of ask lots of questions and judge for yourself who you think is the better choice.

The good news is, if you're not in pain, there's no particular rush to treat the tooth. So if you'd feel better getting another opinion from another dentist, there's time to do that.

Sorry for the non-answer, but I can't emphasize enough how completely unqualified I am to give any medical diagnosis.
      • All opinions expressed are opinions; I'm not a dentist or medical professional.
      • Each mouth and each tooth is different, so my experience may not be yours.
      • Talk to a dentist before making any decisions or building up any expectations about what you need.
      • Stay calm and be kind to yourself.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve In Cleveland For This Useful Post:

augmentin123 (4th November 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve In Cleveland View Post
      Hi augmentin123,

Hopefully one of our dentist members will be able to lend a professional opinion. I'm not a dentist or in any way qualified to read your x-ray, so I won't even try to give you an unqualified opinion.

What I can tell you from personal experience is that sometimes the x-ray isn't 100% definitive. I've had dentists tell me, "I'm pretty sure this needs a root canal, but I won't know until I get in there." There's a pretty clear protocol for the correct course of treatment, but often the x-ray doesn't completely reveal the extent of the decay. Once the decay is removed, the dentist can make a better determination. In general, my understanding is that the dentist will not proceed to a root canal if a filling will suffice.

Unfortunately you have no good way to tell if Dr. Filling is being overly optimistic, or if Dr. Rootcanal is being overly pessimistic. You are, however, well within your rights to phone each dentist and ask them to discuss risk and options with you. You can ask Dr. Rootcanal if there's any chance the tooth might just need a filling, and you can ask Dr. Filling if there's any chance the decay is deeper and might require a root canal.

That's the problem with getting a second opinion in anything: if the two experts disagree, you have to kind of ask lots of questions and judge for yourself who you think is the better choice.

The good news is, if you're not in pain, there's no particular rush to treat the tooth. So if you'd feel better getting another opinion from another dentist, there's time to do that.

Sorry for the non-answer, but I can't emphasize enough how completely unqualified I am to give any medical diagnosis.

thanks for the answer Steve

One interesting thing here is that both the dentists were unable to see any deep cavity on the tooth ! (just some enamel abrasion was present)

Also, there is a gum boil beneath this tooth .. but at the moment its kind of dormant and painless

Hi,

There is a vivid infection around the root of the molar. A root canal treatment is indeed indicated.
      There is communication between this infection and the outside of the mouth. Your dentist has placed a tracer through that communication in order to trace down the source of the infection.
      The question is where was the tracer placed: If the tracer was inserted from the gum pocket, than a rood canal treatment is not sufficient but also the gum need to be treated, and in that case an extraction is possible treatment as well. If the tracer was inserted from the middle of the gum (what is called a fistula) than a root canal treatment should be sufficient for healing this tooth.
      Dr. Daniel Finkelman
      DMD (2005); BSc Psychology (2007)
      www.TheHagueDentalCare.nl

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Daniel View Post
      Hi,

There is a vivid infection around the root of the molar. A root canal treatment is indeed indicated.
      There is communication between this infection and the outside of the mouth. Your dentist has placed a tracer through that communication in order to trace down the source of the infection.
      The question is where was the tracer placed: If the tracer was inserted from the gum pocket, than a rood canal treatment is not sufficient but also the gum need to be treated, and in that case an extraction is possible treatment as well. If the tracer was inserted from the middle of the gum (what is called a fistula) than a root canal treatment should be sufficient for healing this tooth.
      Based on the evidence I second.
      Dr. Raymond Kimsey, DMD
      www.comfortableimplantdentistry.com

Hi,

Thanks Dr Daniel
      Yes indeed the tracer was inserted from the gum pocket .. this would make the prognosis very poor i guess

Quote Originally Posted by augmentin123 View Post
      Thanks Dr Daniel
      Yes indeed the tracer was inserted from the gum pocket .. this would make the prognosis very poor i guess
      it might be possible saving the tooth but it will take much work and effort.
      Dr. Daniel Finkelman
      DMD (2005); BSc Psychology (2007)
      www.TheHagueDentalCare.nl

it might be possible saving the tooth but it will take much work and effort.

Thanks Dr Daniel .. I had got the RCT done around 1.5 months back
      Here is the link for the OPG done today (tooth number 47 was root canalled around 1.5 months back)
      http://flic.kr/p/iaZmFj

My pre op xray was attached in the first post of this thread

Can you please advise if you see any healing of the lesion ?

Thanks in advance
      Last edited by augmentin123; 8th December 2013 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by augmentin123 View Post
      Thanks Dr Daniel .. I had got the RCT done around 1.5 months back
      Here is the link for the OPG done today (tooth number 47 was root canalled around 1.5 months back)
      http://flic.kr/p/iaZmFj

My pre op xray was attached in the first post of this thread

Can you please advise if you see any healing of the lesion ?

Thanks in advance

Dr Daniel / Comfortdentist - your help needed plz !
      Many thanks in advance