Thread: Terrified - DENTAL DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY

Default Terrified - DENTAL DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY

Hi group....I am a 42 year old woman who at this moment feels like a scared little child.

So this year I had to have 3 root canals extracted. I have become riddled with anxiety and fears. So much so I can barely go to work and get out of bed. Scared because I have other root canals in my mouth, what if they go bad? Implants scared to do them, scared not to. Partial denture. What do I do, I can function mentally, I have lost all my back molars.

I need help badly. Is there anyone on the forum who can talk to me about partial dentures? Implants

I can't stop fretting and I am constantly crying.

I was just prerscribed medication for anxiety/depression and I am afraid to take it.

I think I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Default Re: Terrified - DENTAL DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly29 View Post
      Hi group....I am a 42 year old woman who at this moment feels like a scared little child.

So this year I had to have 3 root canals extracted. I have become riddled with anxiety and fears. So much so I can barely go to work and get out of bed. Scared because I have other root canals in my mouth, what if they go bad? Implants scared to do them, scared not to. Partial denture. What do I do, I can function mentally, I have lost all my back molars.

I need help badly. Is there anyone on the forum who can talk to me about partial dentures? Implants

I can't stop fretting and I am constantly crying.

I was just prerscribed medication for anxiety/depression and I am afraid to take it.

I think I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown.
      I am sorry you are going through this. I think it you can get implants than I would do it. At least for the first molars. Second molars are hard to implant from what I hear. I can relate to you because I recently lost a molar from it breaking. I have been on an emotional roller coaster ever since. I am only 28 and I worry about my other teeth now. What does your dentist recommend? Was it the same dentist who did all the root canals? How long ago? Some last a long time and some don't. I have had one for 10 years with no issue. I guess it depends on how bad the tooth was. Some dentists do root canals on teeth that are too far gone and they fail.

Hi
      Loveday112

Two root canals were done this year, two different endodontists. After the one failed, I did not want to go back to him. Went to someone else and that failed.

Both failed.
      One ended up cracking down the root the other got an infection/cyst. They both failed within two months.

Neither one showed anything on the X-rays which had me going back and forth with them thinking I am nuts.
      One endo patted me on the shoulder telling me I am thinking about it too much that is why it was hurting. I truly think he thought I was making it up :-(

So basically both times I was told I had to sign a conset stating that I am aware I could be pulling a healthy tooth. Root canal teeth are not healthy teeth, that is why the are root canalled.

Both times the oral surgeon was in disbelief.

The last molar was a very old root canal that had an infection.
      It sat directly under the bad root canal.
      The theory is, that I might have been clenching in my sleep and damaged it?

I am have a softer type nightguard made for clenching.

I just went for implant consult on the first extraction which was June. I can have it placed when these other two extractions heal as I need to be able to eat on one side of my mouth.

The other two just came out two weeks ago.

They are the last molars, the oral surgeon says there is room, but the nerve is close, so they need to do a short/wide implant.

So now I am freaked about them hitting the nerve.

The fear just never ends....it just keeps getting worse.

I have nightmares about all my teeth crumbling.

I read all the stuff about taking antidepressant and anxiety meds....and tada that just gives me more worries.

I am sorry you are dealing with this as well, it is really upsetting and unsettling.

Everyone around me just says....Its only teeth.

It is not very helpful, easy for someone with no issues to say that.

Will you be getting an iimplant?

At least you know you did everything you could to save them. So it's just your second molars or both your first and second? I would be nervous too because of the nerve or sinus but if not having them is causing such distress it may be worth it. I am not doing an implant because I have had 2 dentists tell me that a second molar is okay not to have and that an implant has a higher chance of failing in an upper second molar. I hate not having it but it's not noticeable. I am thinking about getting Invisalign to straightens teeth and that will push my first molar back a little more to cover some of the gap. I had braces before but as I get older my teeth have shifted. I think when people tell you they are just teeth they are trying to comfort you. The situation could be worse and we have to be thankful for our health. It took me a few weeks to realize that. I felt so shallow for crying about a lost molar. I genetically have bad teeth so I have to be very good about my cleanings and check ups. I hope you can find some comfort. You should be proud you have been proactive. I have anxiety disorder and OCD and this extraction had made it worse.