• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom Tooth Removal - How long for holes to heal?

C

coderedx

I had my two top wisdom teeth taken out about nine weeks ago. One of the sites (which had an erupted tooth) has healed nicely. The other one (which was the harder tooth to remove) still has a groove or hole where the tooth was. It isn't very big, and it is covered with gum tissue, but there is certainly a slit there that I notice with my tongue. Food gets stuck in it.

Is this normal?

Hi,
It is possible. I would suggest you wait a bit longer, for about a month, give the tissue a chance to change its form. If it remains a problem, it is possible to surgically reshape the bone so that it will be smooth.

I've had all for wisdom teeth extracted all at the same time, however my bottom wisdom teeth I can feel the bone sticking up. My Top wisdom teeth have the "slits" that your talking about, that food particles get stuck in. But I've had mine extracted for either 3 or 4 years so I'm not sure, my dentist tells me they are still healing?

I visited my oral surgeon last Thursday. He said the bone can normally take up to six months to heal, and based on where I am after two months, he thinks it'll be only four months for me. So it turns out it was nothing to worry about!

It’s been nearly ten months since the surgical extraction of my wisdom teeth (in the lower jaw) was carried out. However, one of the extraction sites hasn’t closed up yet, and so I still have an open socket there. I suspect the situation is the same with the other extraction site, but I haven’t been able to take a look at it due to its location immediately behind the second molar.

My question is, should I give the extraction sites more time to heal completely, or should I expect to live with two holes in my mouth for the rest of my life? How long do extraction sites usually take to heal completely after surgical extraction of wisdom teeth in the lower jaw?