• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

New Here! about to lose a front tooth due to Periodontitis please help...

D

darklysgirl

Hi I am new here..and have been told I have Periodontitis, I am about to lose 2 teeth 1 top and 1 bottom both at the front, I have been fighting a loosing battle with it for months now, cleaning, dentist, flossing I have been doing it all but i keep getting infections as I have deep pockets and bone loss, and now 2 are loose :( I have been told they need to come out.. I am so worried as they are at the front! and I need to know what I can hace in way of replacement..im guessing not implants as I have bone loss? has anyone been thought this please I need to know what will happen and I really don't want a gap at the front :( thank you for reading..
[h=1][/h]

Re: New Here! about to lose a front tooth due to Periodontitis please help...

Many things to consider. The following is a general guideline for periodontal disease with tooth loss.

This is a chronic inflammatory disease and must be properly diagnosed and managed.
Medical history is vital in particular any autoimmune diseases, diabetes, HIV, and general health and medications.
If you smoke you need to quit. Smoking makes periodontal disease 600% worse!

You need a comprehensive dental examination which needs to include a complete set of radiographs and full mouth periodontal probings.

You need to commit to professional scalings at least every 3 months long term.

If you are losing teeth then your doctor and you need to plan for replacements both short and long term. Sometimes it is much better to take a few more teeth out in order to give a better prognosis on the restorative component of your treatment.
For many people dental implants can be a wonderful solution but as much as I like them they are not without problems. While implants don't decay they can get periimplantitis which can be much more aggressive than periodontal disease. Best long term results with implants occur when treatment is well planned out and treatment occurs in stages where the site for the implants have plenty of good gum and bone.

It is critical for you to follow through with care long term. Most people don't.

Re: New Here! about to lose a front tooth due to Periodontitis please help...

Many things to consider. The following is a general guideline for periodontal disease with tooth loss.

This is a chronic inflammatory disease and must be properly diagnosed and managed.
Medical history is vital in particular any autoimmune diseases, diabetes, HIV, and general health and medications.
If you smoke you need to quit. Smoking makes periodontal disease 600% worse!

You need a comprehensive dental examination which needs to include a complete set of radiographs and full mouth periodontal probings.

You need to commit to professional scalings at least every 3 months long term.

If you are losing teeth then your doctor and you need to plan for replacements both short and long term. Sometimes it is much better to take a few more teeth out in order to give a better prognosis on the restorative component of your treatment.
For many people dental implants can be a wonderful solution but as much as I like them they are not without problems. While implants don't decay they can get periimplantitis which can be much more aggressive than periodontal disease. Best long term results with implants occur when treatment is well planned out and treatment occurs in stages where the site for the implants have plenty of good gum and bone.

It is critical for you to follow through with care long term. Most people don't.

Thank you for the information, I am not 100% sure if I have it or not I do need to get it looked into and find out, I go to the dentist and have had treatment recently and have been told my gums are a bit inflamed and they have been bleeding but not so much now as I have had a deep clean and follow the hygienists advice on cleaning, brushing and the gum line and flossing but have been told i have a couple of deep pockets and some bone loss and even though I clean and floss I still have 2 teeth that are now a bit loose and have been told they will need to come out as I already said before they are at the front so worried about having gaps?

Back