• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Severe pain after root canal?

C

CHRISANDJULIE4

So I had the root canal finished yesterday that I posted about last week. I have had root canals before and never had pain after. Well today the pain came. I can't chew or bite at all on the tooth and have radiating pain constantly. The pain is agonizing if I do accidentally bite down on it. My dentist told me (NOT the endodontist who did the root canal, but my dentist who just happened to call to remind me about my cleaning tomorrow) that it is normal to have pain for a few days after a root canal. It just seems strange to be in MORE pain than before the root canal. And it is NOT any better than this morning, I can't even function without loading up on Motrin. I would love to believe this is "normal" and will pass. Julie

Did the endodontist take the tooth out of occlusion (out of the bite) after the root canal, if not then it needs to be done quickly to get you some relief. Ask your own dentist to check it when you go for your cleaning tomorrow?

Thank you for the reply...I canceled the cleaning because there's too much pain still...I have it re-scheduled for Thursday. I am in less pain now however I still can't bite down at all on the left side. I appreciate your help. What a horrible experience it was. I have had root canals before and never had a problem. This past weekend I was in agony. It was brutal. THanks again! Julie

I had a root canal done a few years ago and after my mouth woke up I had a lot of pain. I believe that the gum around the tooth was bruised. If I barely touched it, it would send me in so much pain that I would cry. It took about a week and half before it stopped hurting. If you are having a problem eating you might want to grind up your food in a food processor. That is what I had to do until I could eat normal again.

Back