• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Trigeminal neuralgia????

B

baileybailey

i didn't know where to put this, mods, please feel free to move to appropriate area.

i read this yesterday and thought it could be of use to someone its about Trigeminal Neuralgia and that you think you have toothache but its really this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: this might help someone.

Surely before any dental work you have xray to see if you have infection or cavity so no good dentist would take teeth out or do rct without xray.

When I was 20 I had a bout of neuralga and the dentist took a xray of my teeth and found nothing wrong with them and eventually the neuralga went away

Re: this might help someone.

Surely before any dental work you have xray to see if you have infection or cavity so no good dentist would take teeth out or do rct without xray.

When I was 20 I had a bout of neuralga and the dentist took a xray of my teeth and found nothing wrong with them and eventually the neuralga went away

hmmm, its looking that way for me at the moment, done all sorts of tests and xrays and nothhing! looks like i need to read that article again:(

The article mentions short sharp electric shocks, this is normally the type 1 condition where the patient experience episodes of intense facial pain that last from a few seconds to several minutes or hours (normally this condition effects females more than males).

There is also a variant of TN called atypical trigeminal neuralgia (also referred to as "trigeminal neuralgia, type 2"). The pain is constant 24/7, feels like a toothache and/or the pain is felt through the head along teeth/jaw upto and around the eye, ear and front of forehead (the main trigeminal nerve branches). The pain is constant, from a dull ache to an intense boring, piercing pain.

It is believed the cause can me a nerve compression, other causes refer to certain dental procedures that can damage bone, tissues etc.

TN normally effects one side of the face, one or more of the nerves. TN can also effect both-sides of the face, you can also experience the short sharp electric shocks and the constant intense ache/pain.

I have TN type 2 on both sides that effects all 3 main nerves, and I'm sure the cause if from dental procedures that I have undergone.

The article mentions short sharp electric shocks, this is normally the type 1 condition where the patient experience episodes of intense facial pain that last from a few seconds to several minutes or hours (normally this condition effects females more than males).

There is also a variant of TN called atypical trigeminal neuralgia (also referred to as "trigeminal neuralgia, type 2"). The pain is constant 24/7, feels like a toothache and/or the pain is felt through the head along teeth/jaw upto and around the eye, ear and front of forehead (the main trigeminal nerve branches). The pain is constant, from a dull ache to an intense boring, piercing pain.

It is believed the cause can me a nerve compression, other causes refer to certain dental procedures that can damage bone, tissues etc.

TN normally effects one side of the face, one or more of the nerves. TN can also effect both-sides of the face, you can also experience the short sharp electric shocks and the constant intense ache/pain.

I have TN type 2 on both sides that effects all 3 main nerves, and I'm sure the cause if from dental procedures that I have undergone.

is there any hope for you? is there anything that can stop this permanently? as it's sounding like I have this as well, I swear I can't cope with this.

I have classic Trigeminal Neuralgia, Type 1, and it is, somewhat unusually, specifically inside my mouth and predominantly involves my teeth, so I am an expert on the 'Is it my teeth or TN' quandary'! If anyone is worried they have the condition please feel free to ask me any questions.

is there any hope for you? is there anything that can stop this permanently? as its sounding like i have this aswell, i swear i can't cope with this.

I have trigeminal neuropathic pain ( which I think is TN type 2 with a different name!). I've had it for about 5 years. In that time it has perhaps improved a bit, but more importantly I am on a good treatment plan. I take low dose amitriptyline, which damps down nerve activity. This has made a huge difference to my quality of life. The side effects were nasty at first (sleepiness, dry mouth, constipation), but they went after the first 2 to 3 weeks, and the pain relief is bliss! My GP prescribed them and has been so supportive, wish my dentist had been the same!

Now, I get the occasional twinge or buzzing sensation, the occasion ache that lasts a few minutes, but it's almost nothing compared to the agony before. And I don't panic at the pain anymore as I know I have something that works, and experience has taught me the pain will not last long. I have some mega strong prescribed painkillers in the cupboard for emergencies; I've never taken them, but having the possibility is reassuring.

you may find it reassuring to hear what I was told by a facial pain consultant. It may take several attempts to find the right treatment, but there will be something that will help. There are a lot of potentially helpful drugs, plus pain management, and you will get your life back.

Hope this helps.:)

This is considered the most painful human condition. For most people there are several treatment options that usually reduce the pain.

i didn't know where to put this, mods, please feel free to move to appropriate area.

i read this yesterday and thought it could be of use to someone its about Trigeminal Neuralgia and that you think you have toothache but its really this.
Hello. I'm new to this site, in fact it's my first post. Anyway. I also have Trigeminal Neuralgia. I know just how painful it can be. The first real episode I had I was convinced it was my tooth, which was due to be removed anyway. But my Neurologist has told me it is TN. I have Pregabalin tablets which are used to neuropathic pain. I have found that since having these tablets to help some other pain elsewhere the TN is not as severe as it has been before. These tablets are strong and only your doctor can prescribe them for you. My physiotherapist has suggested acupuncture which I am hoping to try fairly soon. I will update with any news of this. Take Care all. Netz:)

I have classic Trigeminal Neuralgia, Type 1, and it is, somewhat unusually, specifically inside my mouth and predominantly involves my teeth, so I am an expert on the 'Is it my teeth or TN' quandary'! If anyone is worried they have the condition please feel free to ask me any questions.

Good, then I'd like to ask! Since last month, I've had an intense pain on the right side of my face. At first, I was convinced it was a toothache because that's how it felt--like all my other toothaches. (I have very bad teeth that I didn't take care of when I was younger, which only worsened with my dental phobia--only this year have I been able to go to the dentist and begin the long correction process). Anyway, I have a lot of experience with horrid toothaches, so I assumed that's what it was, that it was my right upper molar. The pain was similar to the pain I felt in my left upper molar before I had a root canal and fixed it up.

But this pain is different because I can actually eat on my right molar and touch it without feeling horrid pain. So then I brought it up to my roommate who said it was probably a TMJ disorder. I started to think that was true, too because the pain is also in the jaw area behind the ear. The pain radiates up to my cheekbone and all the way to behind me eye and eyebrow area when it's at its worst. If I take some ibuprofen, the pain slowly begins to subside but it never fully disappears.

There are some days where I barely feel it at all and there are other days (like today) where the pain becomes unbearable!

Another thing to note is that in December 2014, I did have a toothache in my right upper jaw area (I couldn't pinpoint an exact tooth but the pain radiated in my jaw.) The next day, I woke up to the whole right side of my face being swollen and I rushed over to the doctor's office to get looked at. After a couple days of antibiotics, the swelling went down and the pain went away and I thought the problem was solved...

I have a general doctor's appointment on Monday so I plan to ask more about it then but I'm not sure what to do next. I suppose the doctor will have more ideas and direct me what to do next. In the meantime though, I thought I'd poke around here and ask a few questions...

Hi - I am wondering if this is what I have. Started last Saturday with aching pain on left side that went into my ear, jaw and throat - from what I thought was a bottom molar. I went to the dentist on Monday and he did an xray that showed nothing wrong and thinks it could be from clenching and grinding my teeth. I have been in extreme pain since - dully aching throb all the time and then really bad shooting pains - have taken Ibuprofen and paracetamol but they do not even touch the pain. Went to my GP and he has prescribed a low dose of Amitriptyline - took one last night - how long will it take until they work? Feel like I'm going out of my mind with this constant pain.

Thanks

Back