• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad experiences?

C

Cookie46

Hi everyone :)

I hope you are all doing well! :clover:

Out of pure curiosity- does any one else find that their dental fear hasn't sparked from a bad experience as a child? Growing up, I did have multiple fillings, but none painful- and I had a good dentist who I trusted! I also had good oral hygiene and went to the dentist regularly.

However, as I reached 13/14 I suddenly got more and more scared of going to the dentist; It wasn't really caused by a bad experience as such- just a realisation? I became more aware of the things I didn't like about going to the dentist- and therefore got more and more anxiety ever since!

I also believe I have developed a fear of, 'not being in control' more as I have grown older. For example, one reason I have fears of the dentist is because I feel like I am not in control when they are in my mouth and being really close to me. (Which is why having a stop signal helps!) However, looking back into my younger years, I can see aspects of this!

The fear of dentists hasn't been provoked by a bad experience, but just, the things I didn't like- becoming the things I am now scared of.

Just to create a bit of discussion, did anyone else find themselves like this? :redface: I am very fortunate to not have had a bad experience :innocent: I hope this makes sense to someone?! :rolleyes: I found it quite difficult to word :love:

Cookie46 :XXLhug:

Hi everyone :)

I hope you are all doing well! :clover:

Out of pure curiosity- does any one else find that their dental fear hasn't sparked from a bad experience as a child? Growing up, I did have multiple fillings, but none painful- and I had a good dentist who I trusted! I also had good oral hygiene and went to the dentist regularly.

However, as I reached 13/14 I suddenly got more and more scared of going to the dentist; It wasn't really caused by a bad experience as such- just a realisation? I became more aware of the things I didn't like about going to the dentist- and therefore got more and more anxiety ever since!

I also believe I have developed a fear of, 'not being in control' more as I have grown older. For example, one reason I have fears of the dentist is because I feel like I am not in control when they are in my mouth and being really close to me. (Which is why having a stop signal helps!) However, looking back into my younger years, I can see aspects of this!

The fear of dentists hasn't been provoked by a bad experience, but just, the things I didn't like- becoming the things I am now scared of.

Just to create a bit of discussion, did anyone else find themselves like this? :redface: I am very fortunate to not have had a bad experience :innocent: I hope this makes sense to someone?! :rolleyes: I found it quite difficult to word :love:

Cookie46 :XXLhug:
Cookie, you bring up a very valid point. Albeit fear, I never had a bad experience, other than the unknown. I have had extractions, root canals, root planing and veneers. The worse part of any visit, was the novacaine shot, and that lasts maybe 5 seconds! LOL I can honestly say, any dental procedure I have ever had was painless, compared to an abscess or a toothache. No, the numbing shot is no picnic, but honestly, is nothing in the long run. I think alot of *what if* thoughts run through our minds.... and what we all fear most, never happens. Any step towards good dental health, is a very, very good thing :)

Cookie, I totally agree with you.
The current dominant axiom among dentists and psychologists who treat dental phobia is that nobody is born dental phobic hence it is acquired by bad experience or learning it from others. This hypothesis has never been researched, it is a purely philosophical idea derived from the Behavioral psychology.
Fortunately is notion is changing. In recent years, this notion is not so frequently heard among researchers.

Cookie, you bring up a very valid point. Albeit fear, I never had a bad experience, other than the unknown. I have had extractions, root canals, root planing and veneers. The worse part of any visit, was the novacaine shot, and that lasts maybe 5 seconds! LOL I can honestly say, any dental procedure I have ever had was painless, compared to an abscess or a toothache. No, the numbing shot is no picnic, but honestly, is nothing in the long run. I think alot of *what if* thoughts run through our minds.... and what we all fear most, never happens. Any step towards good dental health, is a very, very good thing :)

Thankyou! :)
I have never had a shot, too scared! :o
Plenty of 'what if' thoughts run through my mind :redface: That is very relatable :love:
However you are right! What we fear most never does happen :jump:
The unknown scares me a great deal, and I get more anxious for check ups than I do treatments! :scared:

Hope you're keeping well :rolleyes:

Thankyou! :)
I have never had a shot, too scared! :o
Plenty of 'what if' thoughts run through my mind :redface: That is very relatable :love:
However you are right! What we fear most never does happen :jump:
The unknown scares me a great deal, and I get more anxious for check ups than I do treatments! :scared:

Hope you're keeping well :rolleyes:
I get the same way with checkups! LOL We assume we will hear the worse! I think we have to put it all in perspective, there is nothing worse than a toothache, abscess, broken tooth etc, not even a visit to the dentist ;D I try to focus on how great I'll feel when I LEAVE *the chair* LOL.
Wishing you the best!

I am exactly the same in that I have never had a bad experience. I think I was just a stubborn/scared child who refused to cooperate. I guess this is fairly normal for children but I never grew out of it. Some of the things I fear are having people in my personal space as well as the general awkwardness of lying down/ not being in control.

I am exactly the same in that I have never had a bad experience. I think I was just a stubborn/scared child who refused to cooperate. I guess this is fairly normal for children but I never grew out of it. Some of the things I fear are having people in my personal space as well as the general awkwardness of lying down/ not being in control.

I am the same! The fear of not being in control scares me a lot! Especially the numbing feeling- which is one of the reasons I have never let them give me an injection! I like to be in control :redface:

for me, the whole "having to get silver caps and being papoosed" thing when I was younger is part of my case but I think that the current "fear of pain" and "fear of the what will happens" and "hate people in my personal space AND the "fear of needles" factors are more prominent in my case.

Been an uphill battle but I am making progress. Got the deep cleaning and molds done last week and now am doing the waiting game for extractions/fillings/getting my partials day.

for me, the whole "having to get silver caps and being papoosed" thing when I was younger is part of my case but I think that the current "fear of pain" and "fear of the what will happens" and "hate people in my personal space AND the "fear of needles" factors are more prominent in my case.

Been an uphill battle but I am making progress. Got the deep cleaning and molds done last week and now am doing the waiting game for extractions/fillings/getting my partials day.

Heading in Monday morning for the extractions/fillings/getting my partials day. Am freaking out at the moment. Got the call today that my partials are ready. Plus my post procedure food is ready, my music source for during the procedure is ready, my entertainment pile for afterwards is almost ready(got an AWOL lego Pick a brick order, emailed lego about it tonight), my valium is in hand for D-day, but i'm not so sure i'm ready... :chicken:

on one hand, I can't wait to get past this and get to dig into my post procedure lego stash that mom let me order but on the other hand but on the other hand, i just haven't had enough time to mentally prepare for it yet.

:frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:

Extractions done last week, one adjustment the next day, extended appointment dealing with the bottom partial(full details in my latest journal chapter) on monday, and waiting on the new lower partial. :mad:

Back