• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Dental surgeon vs reg dentist?

DennyKitty

DennyKitty

Can a regual dentist remove semi impacted wisdom teeth? Or do i need a dental surgeon? My dentist extracted my broken molar but not the wisdom tooth. I have had issues in the past with my wisdom teeth hurting and some infection. They all have broken threw the skin and i bit my cheeks a lot because of them. My upper back second molars are both broken. He removed the one molar but none of the wisdom teeth and doesnt seem to even bring them up. Is it because he cant do the surgery or will they be ok now that im getting the molars out of the way? Also my lower right wisdom tooth has grown in but now has broken itself. Why hasnt he even talked about removing it? He removed three teeth that were broken. All molars and one remolar. Ive brought up the fact that the back molars and wisdom teeth have and are bothering me. I even thought he removed the one wisdom tooth till i got hom and realized he only removed the second broken molar and a broken premolar. Is he trying to leave teeth in there,so i can chew. Will the wisdom tooth move in place now because im still biting my cheeks from the wisdom teeth. I get quite silent and submissive at the dentist. My anxiety puts me in an almost frozen state,so majority of the time im too nervous to speak up and ask. He now (after three extractions) wants to do a "deep cleaning" before removing anymore teeth. Idk why. I still have another molar on the left side that is broken. (The other one that is next to my wizzie. And probably the cause for them breaking but idk cause i have bad teeth n genes) So i was thinking. Maybe my dentist cant pull the wisdom teeth if they are impacted? Is it hard to pull them? I have no insurance and am paying out of pocket,so i wldnt be able to afford sedation,only numbing from the needle. Is that an issue with wisdom teeth. Oh and btw im in the US. Any feedback wld be super helpful. Thanks. I go back on the 30th for my first side of my deep cleaning. I have no one to go with me and ask important questions that im unable to get out because im in such a panic mode and always on the verge of panic attack n tears if it hasnt already begun. Xo

My regular dentist would not touch mine what so ever and referred me to a dental surgeon which he was amazing. lol but they are usually a more complex extraction and sometimes you need stitches depending on how your teeth are in there so I think that''s why regular dentists dont like to touch them (unless they are certified) lol. Hope that helped!

Thank You. My dentist hasn't mention a surgeon or anything. I need to find a way at curbing my anxiety long enough to get some questions out. Im just always frozen in fear and verge of panic attack that i cant speak.

Just keep telling yourself you can do it! Just put it in your mind that getting them out will benefit you in so many different ways and you will feel a lot better. Once you do it your done with those darn wisdoms and never have to do it again. I got put to sleep with mine because of my anxiety so maybe look into that and that honestly was so much easier and the whole process was easier to deal with then i ever thought it would be.

Would just like to say that I highly recommend finding an oral surgeon over a reg dentist. It is their speciality and they will have all the proper tools and experience with sedation should you need it. It might be more expensive but if you find the right one it is well worth it. You can read my journal. I was terrified to the point of being sick over having my bottom wisdoms out. I even had a consultation with an OS that left me more scared than when I first began. I had to look for someone else. The second OS was a Godsend! I cannot stress enough how important it is to find THE RIGHT oral surgeon/dentist. If you don't like them or they do not show any interest in keeping you calm and out of pain then LEAVE and find someone else. There IS someone out there for you. Keep looking. You will know when you find the right person. It's easy for me to tell you please don't be anxious and fearful but it does not work that way. My experience was awesome as far as oral surgery goes but it was a long drawn out process and I dealt with terrible fear and panic for months. It was not nearly as bad as I thought. The actual procedure was ridiculously easy. Right now, I would work on finding the right oral surgeon. Let us know how it goes.

Back