• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Please help, terrified and in pain!

E

esparkles0830

Hello, I am new her and I am having a ton of anxiety. To make a long story short, I had fillings down in tooth 28, 29, & 31. White composite fillings. These teeth were in great condition and I had no pain. The dentist said on the xray, you could see very small decay starting and he wanted to fill them before they got bigger. I got them filled. Well after he was done filling tooth 31, he flossed it and there was too big of a gap between 31 and 30, so he wanted to refill it. I was in so much pain because for some reason that tooth would not numb no matter how much injections he gave me, but I still continued on with the filling, even though it was painful. He wanted to refill it right away but I said that I was in too much pain and that I would return the following day. The following day I returned, got it refilled and once again it was painful and he couldn't get it to numb. A few days went by and the tooth was feeling fine, but on the 3rd day after the filling it started to get painful when I bit on hard foods. I went back to him and he checked the bite, said it was fine, and to give it a few weeks to calm down. Well, fast forward a few more days, the tooth was still more painful to chew on so I went and got a second opinion. The new dentist said the bite was high and filed it down. I told her that at that point, all of my surrounding teeth were hurting and she said it was referred pain. She took an X-Ray and said that none of the cavities were close to the nerve, but that it could still be inflamed because of the dental work. She told me to give it a few weeks and she thought that it was going to calm down. After the bite adjustment, it did feel better to chew, but the whole area of teeth was still very inflamed. She told me to take ibuprofen around the clock for a few days and that sometimes the nerves can take weeks to calm down. Well, here is my problem, in the morning, the pain on the teeth, is very mild, and as the day goes on and the more I chew on it, the worse it gets. By nighttime it is extremely painful and even radiates up into my ear. I know that is a terrible sign and I feel sick of the thought of a root canal especially when this was a healthy tooth with very minor decay and had never bothered me before. I can't even tell now which tooth is causing the pain because it's all so inflamed. Is there any hope at all, even the slightest that this will all calm down without a root canal? My dentist seems to think so. She did a cold test on all of the teeth and she said they all seemed okay. Should I not be chewing on that side to let things calm down? I know that seems like a stupid question, but honestly I feel like after a filling you should be able to chew on that side without pain. Will babying those teeth help the inflammation calm down? It's only been 2 weeks since the fillings, am I not giving it enough time? The new dentist seemed really hopeful, but every day that I'm in pain, I am getting more and more discouraged. Please tell me that there is a small chance of the nerve calming down, or amI just doomed for a root canal? And if so, how will they tell exactly what tooth it needs to be done to?

Hi,
Sensitivity after a white filling might last a couple of weeks. However, you should be able to notice improvement during these two weeks since the dental work.
Given the fact that the teeth are not sensitive with extreme cold/hot/acid.... only with chewing, indicates that it might be that the filling is not well chemically bonded to the enamel, and though out the day, while chewing on it, this small gap is causing sensitivity. If that's the case, simply new well-done fillings should be the solution.

Hi,
Sensitivity after a white filling might last a couple of weeks. However, you should be able to notice improvement during these two weeks since the dental work.
Given the fact that the teeth are not sensitive with extreme cold/hot/acid.... only with chewing, indicates that it might be that the filling is not well chemically bonded to the enamel, and though out the day, while chewing on it, this small gap is causing sensitivity. If that's the case, simply new well-done fillings should be the solution.

Thanks so much for responding.

Back