• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lions and Tigers and Dentists...oh my!!

I've been away for a couple of days trying NOT to think about teeth for a bit. I'm still having a fair amount of sensitivity when I eat, but it's not lasting all day like it was so it's WAY more manageable.

ZG -- A big congratulations to you!!! Your news is so very exciting :)

Miss P -- You CAN do this. I totally understand how awful it is when reminder calls/messages/emails don't come in the way we expect them to. You can certainly be first in line for Camp Idontwannago, but I don't think it can open at least until we are all through this round of appointments. Perhaps soon we will all be lucky enough to get our tickets there (AKA the "see you in 6 months" ticket)

Midwinter -- WELCOME! So happy to have you join our crazy (not-so-little) group.

Mugz -- Hoping things are getting better for you each day.

Martha, Cookie, Spike, Carol, and anyone else I'm forgetting (I feel like I need to start keeping a list :) ) -- I hope that you are all doing well and are enjoying some Halloween treats - carefully so as not to require a call to the dentist -- as that would really make for a SCARY Halloween.

Hi There!
What is the Halloween equivalent of the Christmas Scrooge? If it doesn't have a name, call it "Mugz". Here I sit, lights off, basically hiding in my bedroom with both dogs AND Boo, my outside (key word OUTSIDE) cat (aptly named as he is all white like a ghost), having painfully polished off the GIANT bag of Halloween candy intended for the neighborhood children. I figure I have another two hours stumbling around in the dark. This is the first year I don't have my daughter here with all her friends. She is with her cousin spending time in their neighborhood for a change. Not really trick or treating more like keeping my niece company. Anyway, I didn't feel like jumping up and down all night as for whatever reason the more I move today the more my stupid tooth hurts - not even tooth anymore - jaw. It is almost more my jaw or "undertooth". I'm sure there's a word for that...probably "root"? Did I mention I grabbed a tiny bottle of bubbly to keep me company during my self imposed exile? Well I did. My friend who drove me to the endodontist for the second rct brought it to the house to "celebrate" when it was over. It hasn't ended...and I'm starting to think it never will while the tooth is still in my head BUT I am adopting a "Mind over Molar" mantra and will let you know how that works. I did it for 2 years with this damn tooth. I guess it is harder to ignore once you consent to treatment. Call me crazy but I thought once I did everything they told me to and sobbed my way through everything it would feel better and I could move on. Just the opposite seems to be happening. I am CONSUMED with this discomfort and managing it somehow while keeping the tooth and not losing the restoration I worked so hard to be able to afford. Hang on....now I really need a sip.

I feel like I can handle things better when I have a plan in place, even if it is just in my head. Right now I have nothing but pain. Pain in the stupid tooth from hell. Pain in the OTHER teeth now...especially three molars, one in each quadrant needing major work, and sinus/ear pressure making everything worse. The irony is I have honestly been trying to get help!! I think I am too "chipper" not whiny or negative enough or assertive in person. They finally scheduled my CT scan for the dumb sinus stuff, next Thurs. keep in mind I saw the dr. 10/16. I have an appointment with my allergist for Tues as he can take care of this lickety split and I should have called him FIRST. The only reason I'd keep the scan appointment is actually for my teeth as health insurance will cover it for sinuses. Dental insurance is off the table till January. Endodontist 11/13 will probably want to do a scan but if I have this maybe it will save me some $?? What do you think????

I always feel so good when I read your posts and feel so negative when I write my own, like I am dumping on you guys who have your own dental crosses to bear. I don't expect answers or solutions and honestly think I post here just to share with people who understand and get it off my chest and out of my head for a little while if that makes sense. I really want to be one of the people who has an awesome success story to post. Not expecting "I'm cured and love dentists" but maybe a "hey, guess what, had this awful, scary, xyz procedure and IT WORKED. MY TOOTH FEELS BETTER." OR how about "had appointment with a new dentist today who totally "got it" and took his time, did everything right and my tooth feels 100% better and I didn't have nightmares about drills or being restrained after the appointment so I scheduled to have another tooth repaired." Am I drunk?

I hope you are drunk. I am. Well, not really. I am on my second glass of vino and I rarely, hardly never, ever drink but tonight I couldn't sleep and I have no idea why. So anyhow, today was a success of sorts because the temp is now a perm and the appointment was pretty non stressful since there were no drills, needles of hysteria needed. We didn't go out tonight because everyone was either tired, working or going to a party...as for me and my better half, we were the tired ones. I did buy some candy but actually pulled a scrooge ourselves and turned the lights down low and ate the candy ourselves.

I know how long and how hard you have struggled with this stupid tooth. I don't know what could continue to make it so painful. Does the dentist call and check up on you to see how it is going? Well maybe not the dentist but at least the staff? Do you think they care?

Maybe it is just an ongoing sinus infection...wouldn't that be lovely? All of this is exhausting. Even though my appointment was relatively pain free today I still feel wrung out from it. Just sitting in the parking lot this morning before I went in was exhausting. I wanted to leave but knew that delaying it only made it worse. By the time I went in I was tired and cranky. In the waiting room there was a young woman who was talking on her phone and telling someone that she was waiting to be called back to have a root canal and two extractions. She was as calm as a cucumber. I wish that were me. I am convinced this will never be easy for me and the only way I can get through all of it is to just go and do it and feel the anxiety, panic and relentless exhaustion that follows every appointment.

Maybe we should try getting totally wasted before our appointments? :sleepyjuice:

Good morning everyone.
How are You this morning? Hope that some of You are not having a hangover? :)

Fir of all, thank You all for all the king words and acceptance into Your ranks. It really means a lot to me.

Yesterday, while watching scary movies, I decided to write here a little bit more about myself and the things i am going trough. So here it goes...

I am 27 (soon to be 28) years young man living in a small country named Latvia. As far as I can remember, I always was scared of the dentist. I had some very, very bad experiences in my childhood.
While I was living at home, my parents made me to go to the dentist and do all the necessary work. But as soon as I moved out to the university the word "dentist" did not exist for me any more. This avoidance came back with vengeance 9 years later. That is the moment when dentist became my "best friend".

Now here what is in the past:
- during last 1.5 years I have said good bye to 3 of my wisdom teeth. All of them where fully out bad badly decayed. Extractions of the 2 upper ones was amazingly easy. Both came out in under 5 minutes without any pain afterwards. The 1 on the bottom was a little bit different. Although fully out, it has roots that resembled small hooks. Extraction of this one was a little bit more difficult because the roots broke off and my oral surgeon had to cut my gum to get the roots out. But again everything was happening without any pain. Only downside was that the recovery period was a little bit longer.

- the last molar before wisdom tooth had and RCT treatment last year. Unfortunately the dentist who was treating this tooth was young and inexperienced. As a result an instrument broke of in one of the canals. Although this tooth lasted for another full year, I said good by to it 3 weeks ago because of the minor ache i had in it. :cry:

- I had more than one filling, but at this point I am more than happy to do these because there are no root treatments or extractions involved. Although from my experience RCT or extractions are usually more comfortable that filings. At least for me.

- I took care of my bleeding gums. As it turns out, I had gingivitis but it is in the past. And now I can brush my teeth or eat an apple without feeling blood all over my mouth.

And here is what I am facing :o

If there will be no openings, I will go in on 8th of December for:
1) operation "oh, please save my tooth". Last month my oral surgeon (also my dentist) discovered that I had infection under the roots of one of my lower molars. She described it as a chronic infection. That is why I am not having any pain regarding it.
2) This one scare me the most. Consultation and setting the date for extraction of my 4th wisdom tooth. This one scares me so much because this tooth is not like the others. This one came in in an angle and as it seems is partially impacted. Only a part of it is visible in my moth. This will be a totally new experience for me. What if after seeing the x-rays my oral surgeon will tell me that this one is hard to extract? What if she will tell me there is a chance of nerve damage? Oh, there are so many "what ifs" :cry:

So here You go, even tough, if not counting that one time the instrument broke of in my tooth, I had only good experiences, I am still a big chicken and my anxiety is trough the roof. And it gets worse. I do not even have a date when the extraction will be happening, but the anxiety is crippling me to the point where I cannot enjoy all the thing I love so much

I hope that on the 8th of December I will leave my dentist with one saved tooth and with a confidence that my next extraction will be a breeze :shame:

So this is my story. Sorry for the long post, but I felt like writing today...

Mugz
Hang in there, I am with You all the way virtually and in my mind. there definitely will be a time, when You will be smiling and telling everyone that something actually worked.

Martha55
I had the same thought about going in a little bit tipsy. But my dentist told me to choose.
A little bit drunk and in pain or scared but painless. Because as it seems the local anaesthesia does not seem to work very well when You have alcohol in Your blood

FearfulInMA
I am so happy to hear that your tooth is finally calming down :)

Miss Partial
You can do it! I will cross my fingers on Monday and will be thinking about You. Try to stay positive. Your appointment will be over so soon :)

Take care everybody and have a great weekend. Do not let the bad thoughts about Your teeth bother You

Midwinter

Midwinter -- thanks for your post! I knew some of your story already, but not the whole thing. It seems that you have had some positive experiences to draw on, but absolutely understand the terror despite that. It's taken me nearly 7 years to get to a place where I don't always totally lose it before my appointments.

Everyone else -- does anyone else feel the urge to make a spreadsheet to keep track of everyone and their appointments? I do a lot of analytics for work, so I just may do this if I can figure out how to share it. It would have a column for username, nickname (eg Miss P, ZG), next appointment, biggest dental fear, upcoming dental work, dental work survived, if she/he has found her/his tooth whisperer, planned start date for camp idontwannago, etc :). Maybe I can make a link to a Google doc. Now my true OCD tendencies are really coming out.

Hope you all are enjoying the weekend!

Hi folks

Just dropping in to say hello to everyone, been quite preoccupied the last couple of weeks with things going on at work. :poppingin:

Midwinter, welcome to our little corner of the dental phobia world ;)

Miss P, hope all goes well on Monday as Im certain it will.

Hope everyone is doing well, I'm at the 4 week mark and counting to my first Implant consultation, will be interesting and hopefully it's a viable proposition.

Hi All

Thank you all so much for the support. I really do appreciate it especially as I feel that I have posted very little to you all in the way of support myself these last few weeks, due to travel and manic return to work this week. I have been slowly reading everyone's posts and can see you each have been through your own version of dental hell.

Fearful I love the the idea of the spreadsheet. Could you do it in excel, photograph and upload or scan ....would need a column for best escape plan and tips for speedy exit.

Mugz don't feel down your posts have helped me so much and you are very entertaining to read. I loved the idea of Halloween humbug. I also hid with a bottle of wine last night. Do you think there is a correlation between fear of the dentist and unwanted events being thrust upon us that we can not control? I wanted to eat sweets soooo badly but honestly the effort that needs to be made with partials. ... just is not worth the effort. So vino it had to be.

Spike are you scared about the implant. I would be. I have the option but funds and fear prevent this at present. 4 weeks will fly by.

Martha well done on going.....I hope I can get out the car park to. I always find that bit particularly stressful and almost have to drag my own legs out the car. Last time someone sat in the car next to me holding their mouth with a tissue and I could see BLOOD. I was only going in for a reline thank god or I don't think I would have made it.

I know you have all told me camp isn't open yet but I am prepared to go kick the door open and run it myself. I am currently thinking about the four maybe more injections I'm going to have to have just for the stupid clean. I don't know if I can do this every 12 weeks for the rest of my life or until the remaining teeth fall out. What if I do it and the stupid teeth still fall out? That will infuriate me. The gum inflamation has not gone despite removing with great distress the flammin partials every night for a month. D will certainly have somthing to say about that and I know she will blame me and say I have not been doing it when I have. I am tempted to take my coloured beaker and explain my strategy for hiding them from hubby. Do you think I should or will I look mad?

Usually I either have D or H, not both of them same day so my anxiety levels are higher than ever. H will go on about the stupid little in between the teeth brush and my out of control perio and pocket sizes ( I better not get that horrible gum prodder) and D inflammed gums and implants I can't afford and even if I could I can't because I am to scared to get. I haven't even found out if I need any fillings yet. They just focused on the 10 that nedded pulling and the partials so far.....luckily I don't have any tooth pain at all so really hope no RCT.

Ohhhhhh sorry everyone I am getting out of control here and can feel the hysteria rising....

Nope no hangover here. When I say tiny bottle I mean tiny. Drunk? I wish. Thanks Martha. YAYAYAYAYAYAY YOU for getting through a major part of your treatment. That was a huge hurdle. No, you probably don't feel accomplished yet...maybe eat a baby ruth? That might make you realize how far you came in a day!!! And, no, while it is a lovely thought, it actually made me laugh to think anyone from any office I've haunted this fall would call to check on me. No. Ball is in my court to call when I have a problem. No call means no problem. Despite the fact I've been seen and treated for nothing but problems with one stupid tooth since June. I'm surprised they don't call about the 10 others with reminders for work to be done but they don't. Why? Well, quite honestly, they don't want the pain in the neck phobic girl who makes everyone uncomfortable back in their office. THAT's what I think, anyway.

Midwinter - Thanks for sharing your story. I know it takes courage and time to open up to people you've just "met" about things that are so personal. We all understand what the fear feels like, even if our backgrounds and what has created it is different. Is the surgery you are having an apicoectomy? Where they remove infection from the bone? I hope this will certainly be a success for you and the tooth can be saved. Remember to take one appointment at a time. Hard as it is, try not to worry about everything to come after...just get through the 8th.

Fearful - The chart is an awesome idea but I fear a huge undertaking for you. I am not super tech savvy though so maybe that is just me. It would help to keep track of everyone as I am worried about leaving someone out or forgetting appointments...though I've got Miss P for Monday!!! We are here for you, Miss P!!!! Am sure this weekend is stressful....try and do something fun, like a manicure maybe or a movie you like?Fearful, how's the tooth feeling? Teeth I should say. The two of them. RC tooth and the other rogue!? Still feeling benefits from steroids? I'm going to ask the endo about that when/if I go during our appointment run...you, me and Cookie. Actually I think it is Cookie 11/11, you 11/12 and I am last on 11/13. Yes?

Spike, time is flying! I am so anxious to hear what they have to say about the whole implant deal as I know you are. Good thing you've got lots at work to keep you busy till then.

Gotta run and pick up my daughter. More later!!

Mugz - no, it will not be an apicoectomy. You see I had this tooth treated some 15-18 years ago. I cannot remember exactly. But strange thing is that the nerve of this tooth was removed but root canals stayed empty. It was some sort of incomplete root canal treatment.
My dentist says it was a common practice back then. I am not happy with that but I trust her opinion.
Basically I am facing a prolonged root canal treatment where at first the root canals will be cleaned and packed with some kind of medicine for a while. That should eliminate the infection and after that the tooth will have standard root canal treatment and will be renewed with a crown.
Only big "no, no" here is, as this tooth was not vital for the last 15 or so years, all the root canals have narrowed down. That makes it more difficult to clean them and deliver medicine straight to the root tips. And that can decrease chance of... :cry: well I do not want to say it, but I think You know where I am going with this.

I am praying to all the tooth fairies that the outcome of this is as good and positive as possible and this tooth continue to serve me as a cookie smasher for a long, long time.

Midwinter

I hope everyone is having on OK Saturday night.

Mugz, I really wish you could be out of pain!! :(

Thanks ZG!
Me too. I'm going "mind over molar" and we'll see how that works. I just have to get my head around it. If the endo tells me the infection is totally gone on 11/13 then it will make it easier.

How are things going with you and Babyzombie? Hoping all is well and no news is good news. Is your other little one letting you get some sleep at night? I remember the first few months of pg particularly exhausting. Hope she's giving you a break...

OMG -- 'babyzombie' -- that is PERFECT! ZG -- hope all is well with you and babyzombie :).

Also, just reminding everyone to send good thoughts over to Miss P for her appointment tomorrow.

Hello everyone!
Hope you're all well!

sorry for the upcoming sad vibes- I'm just feeling very emotional tonight! I've sat and had a good cry in my bed- and I'm sure I'll feel at least a little better tomorrow morning! So many things going through my head! Added onto going back to school tomorrow and this blasted fly that's buzzing round my head :mad:

I don't even want to think about teeth at the moment, my appointment is in 8 days an 17 hours!! That's just over a week :shame: I'm feeling so down, and starting to view my own dental anxiety and dental fears as stupid!

Sorry guys! Just struggling with positivity tonight! Anyone know a wish-granting genie? I promise to make one of my wishes 'make dentistry better!' (Or even better, non existent!!)
Perhaps I should start drinking ;):giggle:

Love to you all! Good luck tomorrow Miss P! <3
xxx

we are well so far and yes, I'm exhausted!

I wasn't this tired last time but then again I didn't have a 2 year old. LOL

I have another ultrasound on Wednesday to check up on things since I've had bleeding. I'm trying not to worry too much

Hi Cookie!
I am very sorry you are having a sad and stressful night. Sometimes a good cry does the trick and is just what you need to release some stress. Do you have a big week coming up at school? What is your class load like? If you are feeling really stressed and overwhelmed by school, perhaps you can drop a class and pick it up again next semester or during your senior year? My daughter had a rough start this year and was finding it really hard to juggle her classes, one in particular, so we were able to rearrange and move it to next year. It has made a HUGE difference in her stress level and her productivity in other heavy classes like AICE math and stats. Just a thought. I know everything tends to hit at once. How are things at home? Forgive me if I'm being nosy, sorry. Just asking to see if talking to your mom or sister would help with the stress or if they are maybe part of it!?

I hate to see you feeling so down and I'm just trying to think of ways to help, that's all. Don't mean to pry.

The dental appointment hanging over your head is just making everything worse as I know you know. It is not stupid, nor are you for feeling that way. I wish they were able to get you in sooner as you have been waiting a crazy long time and even if you were going in just to sign papers or pick up a file it would be stressful given your absence and the sheer anticipation of it all.

I PROMISE, it won't be nearly as bad as you fear it will be. No needles, no drilling from the sounds of it, no pain.....but those are just words right now and have little meaning or feeling. Perhaps an email to your dentist or the kind hygienist would do you some good? Maybe they can reassure you, certainly if they know you are anxious they will put your mind at ease and if nothing else be better prepared to help you when you get there for the actual appointment.

I know your mom has been in control of all of this but I think it really might make you feel a little better - and more in control- to pick up the phone and ask to speak to the hygienist and share your concerns or email them and give them a chance to put your mind at ease in a way only they can do. You may feel so empowered after, it could surprise you! You deserve to be able to sleep for the next 8 days and 15 or so hours....and ENJOY your life the way 16 year olds should!!!!

Last edited:
Hi ZombieMommie.....

Sorry about the sleeping and exhaustion. I hear that you are even more tired when pg and chasing a toddler! I think the same rules apply to sleep when she naps (IF she naps) which I know is easy to say, hard to do with everything that needs to get done BUT making a "fun size" human is a BIG job so rest when you can. Get plenty of folate, iron and B12 too.

Glad to hear you are having another US on Wed. to make sure all is well. Maybe it is just implantation spotting which is a great sign but scares you when it happens. Sorry TMI. Not only am I a dental know-it-all but an obgyn too. Must be nice to be so smart, right? Too damn bad I can't fix my own stupid teeth....or my own stupid....um....teeth.

Hi Cookie!
I am very sorry you are having a sad and stressful night. Sometimes a good cry does the trick and is just what you need to release some stress. Do you have a big week coming up at school? What is your class load like? If you are feeling really stressed and overwhelmed by school, perhaps you can drop a class and pick it up again next semester or during your senior year? My daughter had a rough start this year and was finding it really hard to juggle her classes, one in particular, so we were able to rearrange and move it to next year. It has made a HUGE difference in her stress level and her productivity in other heavy classes like AICE math and stats. Just a thought. I know everything tends to hit at once. How are things at home? Forgive me if I'm being nosy, sorry. Just asking to see if talking to your mom or sister would help with the stress or if they are maybe part of it!?

I hate to see you feeling so down and I'm just trying to think of ways to help, that's all. Don't mean to pry.

The dental appointment hanging over your head is just making everything worse as I know you know. It is not stupid, nor are you for feeling that way. I wish they were able to get you in sooner as you have been waiting a crazy long time and even if you were going in just to sign papers or pick up a file it would be stressful given your absence and the sheer anticipation of it all.

I PROMISE, it won't be nearly as bad as you fear it will be. No needles, no drilling from the sounds of it, no pain.....but those are just words right now and have little meaning or feeling. Perhaps an email to your dentist or the kind hygienist would do you some good? Maybe they can reassure you, certainly if they know you are anxious they will put your mind at ease and if nothing else be better prepared to help you when you get there for the actual appointment.

I know your mom has been in control of all of this but I think it really might make you feel a little better - and more in control- to pick up the phone and ask to speak to the hygienist and share your concerns or email them and give them a chance to put your mind at ease in a way only they can do. You may feel so empowered after, it could surprise you! You deserve to be able to sleep for the next 8 days and 15 or so hours....and ENJOY your life the way 16 year olds should!!!!

Thankyou so much Mugz!

Things just got to a point last night where the cookie crumbled a little :redface: I don't really have a big week, I just have lots of work which I didn't get done over the holidays due in :redface: It was really stupid of me not to organize my time very well! Thankyou for your suggestions Mugz, but I'm not sure if I can do that! Sorry, and I really do appreciate your suggestions! I just don't have any subjects that I could move :( *sighs*

Youre re not been nosy at all Mugz! There's a few family things too, which is having it's effect on everybody in the household! :shame:

It does feel like such a long time I've been waiting, my dentist is just so busy! If I can gather some courage, I think I might just do that! Email them with some of my concerns! I'll ask if the nurse will be there too!

You're good to me Mugz! Thankyou! Xxxx:XXLhug:

Hello folks

Hope everyone is doing Ok(ish) :)

Cookie; sorry you had a bad night of it last night; I've been a little down recently due to a couple of other (non-dentistry) things, we all have the odd off day here and there. I would view the dentist appointment as follows: in just over a week and you will be free of that concern and worry. I think Mugz has an excellent point with respect to your emailing the dentist as that will give them notice of your concerns and then they can do something to help. One thing is for sure; you will be just fine (I always find the worry is much worse than the actual event nowadays).:jump:

Mugz; like the others I just want to see you get rid of the discomfort then you can work your way carefully and slowly through your list of little dental jobs with (hopefully) your new tooth whisperer. Either that or you need to come across and see Mike or one of his tooth whispering friends:cool:

Miss P - hope it has all gone smoothly at your appointment today; also hoping it will mean a break from "the chair" for the forseeable ;)

Also best wishes to everyone else, Zombiegroupie, Martha, CollegeBound, Midwinter Fearful and everyone else watching this thread.

I am now on <3 weeks until my Implant consultation; getting exciting now;D

Kind Regards

I'm alive....I'm alive

Just dropped in to thank you all so much for the good wishes. I felt you all virtually.....I had this sites little App on my phone open as a comforter. Crazy eh???

Don't want to take over Mugz thread with my adventures in dental land today so updated on my own thread but I know everyone 'gathers' here..... hope you dont mind Mugz .I am a bit sore and feel as if a truck has driven through my mouth but I'm ok.

Who's up next so I can support. I lose track easily....

Miss P

Hello everyone!

Firstly, well done Miss P:) you did so excellently today!! I bet it feels great to have it out of the way :) We are all so proud of you!! :XXLhug:

Sorry all for my dreadful mood last night, I had such a rough evening- family things got a bit overwhelming! School today has been stressful too! I can't believe how little motivation I have at the moment! :shame:

About the upcoming appointment, I wish wish wish I could email my dentist; but I don't have the courage :( I don't know why I feel this way!! Ive done it once before, but this time it feels out of my reach :redface: my palms sweat and butterflies in my stomach appear when I just think about it!
I feel stupid. I feel embarrassed. I feel so ashamed that I am so scared of what to everyone else- is just normal :cry: My appointment is a week tomorrow, and I can't stop thinking about how silly I feel!!

Cookie x

Back