• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lions and Tigers and Dentists...oh my!!

LOST....How did YOUR appointment go??!!

Did I miss a post from you?!! I was looking to see how yours went and thought about you all morning too....I hope it went BETTER THAN WELL and you feel up to sharing with us!!! Forgive me if you did and I didnt see it, honestly I'm a little "off" - took my pain medicine once I got home and that combined with a lack of sleep has made me blurry eyed but I do so want to hear how YOU are should you feel inclined to post. You've been such a great source of comfort and support for me - and I thank you for that.

That's great Mugz!. I'm glad he was a very kind person. It sounds like you have found the right dentist :).

I would like to know how Lost's appointment went too :)

YAY MUGZ!!! This all sounds so very, very promising so I am going to get my hopes up for you. Here's hoping that it at least eases your mind to know that things are headed in the right direction and that you are able to enjoy the holiday!

Fingers, toes, and all other appendages crossed for you! I'll even cross my eyes if that would help :)

Mugz I hope you sleep better tonight and that your pain meds allow you to have a happy and pain free Thanksgiving.

Mugz, I am so pleased for you that you feel you have made some progress. I know how upsetting it is when you feel powerless. And the dentist sounds lovely, so that's very positive. Keep that in mind for your next appointment.
I've got an appointment tomorrow and can feel the stress building. I'm not scared of going but of hearing what's needing done.
I will take some of your positive energy with me.

I'm going to a walk in health centre today and I'm also going to get an appointment with a dentist. I'm so nervous.

Good luck today Carriss and Anonfemale on your appointments! Sending cyber courage your way and a hand to hold!! Knowing is better than not knowing as hard as it is to find out there is some relief that comes with having it all on the table. Hang in there....you can do it...even if it feels like you can't. Will be looking for an update when you are able!!

Mugz, thanks so much for your concern, and also thanks to Cookie and anon for your well wishes. Yesterday it took me nearly half an hour to type that post, and so I decided to lay off recounting my appointment until I could write properly. I feel a bit deflated and defeated about the whole thing if I'm honest, though I wish I could post otherwise. To be fair, the dentist is lovely. She could see how agitated I was when I walked in, and told me she would give me the meds quickly as she didn't want me to be distressed. Hooked me up to the IV, and I was away with the fairies. I came around too early again. While I felt absolutely no pain whatsoever, I could hear the horrible noises and felt the pressure and I panicked.

The whole thing is hazy to me now, but I remember the nurse holding my head still as I was writhing and trying to jerk my head away... not a good idea when there are metal instruments in your mouth, apparently. I also remember the dentist talking kindly to me and trying to reassure me, but I can't recall what it is she said. Time is lost on me, but I don't think it lasted too long after that and I remember being helped into a wheelchair and being taken to the recovery room. Long and short of it is that my top tooth was a nightmare to get out and took about 45 minutes, by which time the meds were starting to wear off. She decided not to extract the bottom tooth because I was getting too upset and she didn't want to traumatise me and make me too terrified to attend future appointments. She said before the procedure that it is unlikely I'll have stitches but she wanted to tell me just in case. Afterwards, she didn't say if I did have them, but I can feel something dodgy in my mouth, so I'm guessing so. According to my foster mum, she then said that she's really pleased with my gums and she's proud of me for taking such good care of them. Then I went home and slept.

I've now got to have another appointment (Jan 14th) to have my bottom tooth extracted, as well as one on Jan 28th to start work on my front teeth. It just seems never ending to me right now. I'm stressed because I had it set in my mind that all extractions would be done yesterday, and that's not the case. I've got to go through yet another week on top of this one of not being able to smile, taking pain meds that I'm not really allowed, worrying about every little thing and surviving on soup. That's not including the terror I experience in the run up to these stupid appointments.

Wow, this is a depressing post lol. Sorry. On a brighter note, in exactly a week I'll be travelling across the pond and spending some time with you lovely American folks!

Anon and Carriss, I hope your appointments go well.

Mugz, I hope you're having a good day today

I hope everyone else is good, too. Now I'm going to throw myself a pity party before starting to pack :)

Mugz and Lost, thanks for your kind words. I was shaking when I was in the waiting room at the health centre. My boyfriend went with me. He kept trying to keep me calm. I saw the nurse first and told her what was wrong. She took my temperature and then I went back to the waiting room to wait for the doctor to call me. He looked at the white lump that's under my bottom gum and he put some gloves on and touched it. He said he thinks it's an ulcer. I told him that it isn't painful though. I thought ulcers always had pain. I also told him that I was worried because I thought that my throat looked red. He looked at it and said it was normal. I was so relieved!. He prescribed some bonjela for the white bump and he told me that if it doesn't go away within the next week, I should tell the dentist about it and they might need to do a biopsy. He said he doesn't think it's anything serious though (I told him I was worried in case it was a tumour ). I also told him about the problems with my teeth and gums and he said sometimes you can get bumps in your mouth from brushing too hard and because of a lack of vitamin c. He told me to make an appointment with a dentist soon.

I just hope he hasn't given me a wrong diagnosis. I'm not sure exactly how long the bump has been there, but it has been quite a while. I didn't think that ulcers could stay there that long, unless they can if they haven't been treated ?. I have had other ulcers before, but they were on my cheeks and they were painful and they disappeared in a couple of weeks. Do you think I should still be concerned ?. I feel relieved that my throat is ok , but I am still nervous about going to the dentist. Even if the bump stays there for a while and the dentist has to do a biopsy, do you think it still might not be anything too serious ?. I've never had a biopsy before so I would be nervous about that. Do you think he could tell what it was when he looked at it and touched it ?.

Lost, I'm glad that you have a nice dentist who tried to reassure you. I hope your appointments in January will go well. I also hope you have a great time in America!. I would love to go there some day too. I've never been there. Have you been there before or will this be your first time there?.

Carriss, I hope your appointment will go well.

Last edited:
WOW Lost! What a day YOU had!! OMGosh!!!!THANK YOU for taking the time and energy to share your appointment with us and inspiring so many with your awesome display of unwavering courage in the face of some seriously scary experiences yesterday! I hope this finds you feeling a little calmer and aware of the healing that is taking place now that you've made such huge progress toward your good health. I know that feeling doesn't happen overnight and is hard to reach for when you are overwhelmed that things didn't go exactly as planned...I sent you a message a little bit ago to this end...take a peek. I think it speaks volumes about how great your doctor is, though, that she resisted the urge to zip through and force you to just "get 'er done" but instead took into account YOU....your welfare, well being, emotional state, all of it, putting that before proceeding just for the sake of convenience. So if nothing else, hold on to that...you have a doctor you can trust that really does put your needs first. Something many of us would give our eye teeth to have, myself included!!!!

Please let us know how you're feeling and don't overdo it packing and running around and whatnot before your big trip. Remember, your body is still healing...and you have more ahead of you so "slow and steady" wins the race!!

SOOOOOO very proud of you ... not to mention impressed by your bravery! YOU ROCK!!

"He said he thinks it's an ulcer. I also told him that I was worried because I thought that my throat looked red. He looked at it and said it was normal. I was so relieved!"

"He prescribed some bonjela for the white bump and he told me that if it doesn't go away within the next week, I should tell the dentist about it and they might need to do a biopsy. He said he doesn't think it's anything serious though (I told him I was worried in case it was a tumour ). I also told him about the problems with my teeth and gums and he said," sometimes you can get bumps in your mouth from brushing too hard and because of a lack of vitamin c. He told me to make an appointment with a dentist soon."

"I just hope he hasn't given me a wrong diagnosis. Do you think I should still be concerned ?" Even if the bump stays there for a while and the dentist has to do a biopsy, do you think it still might not be anything too serious ? Do you think he could tell what it was when he looked at it and touched it ?

Hi Anonfemale,

I am very glad to read you went to a health center and had a doctor take a look at your bump and throat. Good for you! I know how nervous you were to go. I am glad your boyfriend went with you to keep you calm. I am even happier to hear the doctor said your throat was normal and your bump is an ulcer. Good news! Such good news I even highlighted it in blue for you to reread!

He also said "you need to make an appointment with a dentist soon" which is what your next step should be. I DO NOT think you should be concerned at all and think the diagnosis was correct and the doctor knows an ulcer when he sees one. I think the dentist will be able to put your mind at ease about the ulcer and do NOT think you will need a biopsy. I'd make the appointment to see the dentist and start on some vitamin C and see if that helps too.

It seems to be hard to do but, maybe focusing on the ANSWERS you received today or what you DO KNOW:
"it is an ulcer, it is not a tumor, it is not anything serious, my throat is normal, I can try vitamin c and brush softly" might help you feel less anxious and more in control. I'm very glad you got good news today!

Lost -- so very glad to hear that things went relatively well and that your dentist did the right thing by stopping when the IV sedation was no longer working. A very big congratulations for getting through what must have been a very tough appointment!!! I know that you were hoping that the extractions would be done in one appointment, but you will get through the other appointments too (though I do understand fully how horrible the lead up to the appointments can be) and it sounds like you have a reprieve until after the holidays.

If you don't mind saying, where on this side of the pond are you travelling? Is it a vacation? I'd love to give you some travel tips :)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Lost, you did so well and that's one appointment down. If you can get through that, you can get through anything. And you've got your holiday to look forward to. I was away for 2 weeks in the summer and that is the best I've felt all year, probably because I was distracted and had company all day. Hope you have a great time.
Anonfemale, well done and what a great result for you. Try to relax now and not worry. I'm sure if you can manage a trip to the dentist all your fears will be quashed.
Now, wish me luck. I'll be sitting in the chair in exactly 2 hours. Yikes!

Carriss - good luck!!! I will be sending good thoughts your way! Please let us know how it goes!

Carriss - good luck!!! I will be sending good thoughts your way! Please let us know how it goes!
Thanks so much. My head is buzzing wondering how I'm going to explain my problems to the dentist. He just shakes his head at me usually, in a kind but bemused way. I'm a dental mystery it seems. Leaving in 20 minutes, this is the worst bit, I'm okay once I'm there.

Okay Carriss...sending strength to you and hoping some clarity for your dentist so he can figure out your mysterious mouth :). Nothing like a challenge!! Hopefully all will go well and you will be getting some answers and a plan to help you move forward. We will be waiting to hear how you did when it is all over!! Hang in there!!!

I'm back. The tooth I was worried about looks okay. He thinks the pain I'm experiencing is coming from my jaw, either joint or muscle. The endodontist had previously said I'm clenching in my sleep. So I had an impression taken and I'm getting a splint next week to wear in bed (how attractive).
All the dental trouble I've had in the last 2 years (and there's been lots) has been on the left side, so now I'm wondering just how much damage I've done with all this clenching. Also, perhaps I've had teeth treated when there's been nothing wrong with them, because I've been in pain that could have been coming from the jaw.
Anyway, hopefully it may help and I can get some relief from the pain. Painkillers don't seem to do much for me. I wish I had some valium that I hear you all talking about, they might relax the muscles and stop me clenching.

Well done for going and getting through your appointment! I am also very glad they did not see anything wrong with your tooth that required any invasive treatment at the moment. it will be interesting to see if the guard makes a difference and how quickly it helps. I hear from one of the very helpful docs on the forum it can make a big difference and save your teeth and you lots of money in the long run...if that's what is going on.
As for the Valium I don't know if it is as helpful for that sort of thing as maybe a muscle relaxer like zanaflex or flexoril. Maybe worth asking about but perhaps the guard will do the trick and Meds aren't necessary at all? Here's hoping you are on the right track now to getting some relief!!

Hi Mugz! Thank you for the message, and for the continued words of encouragement. I have to agree, my current dentist is amazing, it's just a shame I won't be having her permanently. I'm feeling a bit better today, thanks, though obviously my mouth is still causing a fair amount of pain. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. I hope you're having a lovely day.

Fearful, thank you for your kind words, too! I most definitely do have a reprieve until after my hols (I just did a mental calculation, realised I have about 7 weeks off, and literally released a little squawk of joy - I've been so busy stressing over everything that I hadn't looked at it that way, so thank you!) which I'm thankful for. I am going to Georgia for Christmas... super excited but half terrified at the same time lol! Any tips would be very much welcome :) I hope you're well today?

Carriss, thanks for the support. I'm hoping you're right... I'm determined not to let this all hang over my head while I'm there, hopefully I can follow through with that when I'm actually there! The good thing is that it will have been the eighth day since my surgery by the time I land, which means I'll be able to eat normal food again. I'm so pleased... America has some amazing food! Also, I'm very glad your appointment went well and the dentist couldn't see any trouble with your tooth. Fingers crossed that mouth guard works for you... you'll have to keep us updated on it!

anon, it sounds as if your appointment went well, which is very good! I agree with Mugz in regards to trying to focus on the good that came from the appt, and not worrying about the what if's. I think we all know that worrying does absolutely nothing but cause more grief, and you don't need that! Also, thank you for your encouragement! I have been to America twice before, once to Seattle and the last time to Georgia, but I've never been sightseeing or anything. I'm planning on doing a bit more of that this time around. I can't wait :)

And finally, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you're all having a fab day!

Last edited:
Got not one but two reminders for Wednesday's appointment - one text early this am and one email later in the day....I HATE those!! I was desperately trying to have a dental free holiday but nope...got that rush of fear when I looked on my phone and saw it was from the dentist's office. Ditto my email a little later. I swear the stress of this dental stuff is taking years off my life!!! I stopped my antibiotics over the weekend because they upset my stomach but now my cheek/face is all sore and achy again. Other than that, Thanksgiving was delightful. Good time with entire family with plates of mashed potatoes and soft stuffing for gimpy mouth. Lots to be grateful for. Now, if my tooth whisperer works out I'll REALLY give thanks!!!! (Please, God, let him be the one!)

Hope everyone had a great, pain free day today and a peaceful, pain-free night.

Back