• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Partial dentures

P

psrick313

I am having a lot of work done in my mouth most of it isdone, 2 bridges 3 crowns and a partial with four right side lower teeth and onetooth bottom left. The partial did notfit, it was keeping my teeth from closing with a, little less than a ¼ inch space.The dentist started grinding the teeth on the partial to try and make it fit. Isaid to him that is a lot of grinding, twice before he said the only otherthing would be to send it back to the lab, I said YES. My question is, shouldthe teeth on a partial ever have to or should be grinded down to make it fit. Iunderstand the metal may need adjustment but to grind the teeth? :confused:

I am having a lot of work done in my mouth most of it isdone, 2 bridges 3 crowns and a partial with four right side lower teeth and onetooth bottom left.The partial did notfit, it was keeping my teeth from closing with a, little less than a ¼ inch space.The dentist started grinding the teeth on the partial to try and make it fit. Isaid to him that is a lot of grinding, twice before he said the only otherthing would be to send it back to the lab, I said YES. My question is, shouldthe teeth on a partial ever have to or should be grinded down to make it fit. Iunderstand the metal may need adjustment but to grind the teeth? :confused:

yes, the partial denture often needs adjustment however this should be minor adjustment only. If the dentist was being careful then he may have only been adjusting a tiny bit at a time so even multiple adjustments may not add up to much.
That said - if the teeth on the denture don't resemble teeth because they've been drilled so much then it would be better to have them removed and replaced - it's not that big a job

Back