• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Telling My Mom

How many more classes do you have between now and your appointment? Sometimes it's helpful to me if I can count down the things I have to do before my appointment. Do you have any exams between now and then? Maybe you can just zone out a little - play games on your computer, do a crossword (I know, I'm old school) or a sudoku? Sometimes I find if I can get my brain engaged in something I'm ok -- though holy cow, by the time I'm in the waiting room there's usually no hope for me.

Maybe try to get to sleep early tonight, if you can?

I have math tomorrow from 12-2 and then public transit is picking me up at 2:15 to take me to my doom. I have a friend in math that is also a friend of my mom's, so zoning out wouldn't work, but paying attention isn't going to happen either. And I sit in the front row. My only positive thought is at least the dentist knows that there is potential for me to freak out tomorrow. My mom is picking me up from the appointment, so I have to try to save a little face so I don't embarrass her.

I might just lock myself in the basement an make people think that I ran away. I can take food down there and watch tv. I would be alright......... Right?

Laughing a little with you right now about your last sentence.

I think some positive affirmations may help -- along the lines of "I will not freak out", "I trust the dentist and her/his staff", "dental work does not have to hurt", "I am in control and can ask the dentist to stop at any time", "I am going to be so proud of myself when I get through this", "I am strong and if I can do this, I can do anything", "less than a day from now, I will be pain free", "I have chosen do to this because I am an adult making choices to take care of myself. I can choose not to at any time.". Ok, you get the point. :)

I will be thinking about you tomorrow! Are you on Eastern Time? I want to make sure I'm sending good energy at the right time.

Gooooooo CollegeBound!!!

Thank you! I am on Eastern time. I think by joining this forum, we all kind of are cheerleaders for each other. On that note, GOOOOOOOOOOO TEAM!

Lol! Yes, and I'm going to need some cheerleaders sooner than I expected.

My dentist is on medical leave and was supposed to be back in October. I had asked to postpone my cleaning appointment (which had been scheduled for 9/29) until after he returned. Well... I got an email today (it always gives me a bit of a jolt to see an email from the dentist@/ office in my inbox, but I do prefer it over a phone call) saying that he will be back on 9/29 and that they have kept my appointment for the original date/time. AND in the last couple of days, one of my crowned molars has started to be painful when I chew on that side.

So, while I thought I had a while before I had to face all of this, I now have 12 days. I've already started to feel incredibly anxious and the nightmares will start soon I'm sure.

Ugh!!! I really wish I could just be normal and not so terrified of all of this.

I know you can do it! 12 days is a long-ish time away from now. I hate emails from the dentist too, but they also call, text me, and text my mom's phone. That gets annoying.

Fearful, consider me one of your cheerleaders without the ability to do the splits. :cheer::cheer2::cheer::cheer2:

I know you can do it! 12 days is a long-ish time away from now. I hate emails from the dentist too, but they also call, text me, and text my mom's phone. That gets annoying.

Fearful, consider me one of your cheerleaders without the ability to do the splits. :cheer::cheer2::cheer::cheer2:

Haha -- love the emoticons! I usually use the iphone app, so I don't often see the emoticons in their full effect.

and, yes, 12 days is a long-ish way away which, unfortunately, makes things worse for me because it mean full-on, debilitating anxiety between now and then.

I'm going to employ the strategy I shared about counting down the things I need to do between now and then:
-6 days of work
-2 shifts for my 2nd job
-2 10+ mile runs this weekend
-1/2 marathon next weekend
-a date
-dinner with a friend

now you all know how incredibly not exciting my life is :)

alrighty CollegeBound, I'm done hijacking your thread -- at least until after your appointment tomorrow :) . You deserve all of the support coming your way tonight and tomorrow!

You are never hijacking my threads. You have been quite helpful. Thanks!

Sounds like you are a busy person. Here is my schedule:

Homework
Homework
Homework
Homework...

Living that college life!

Hi CollegeBound!!

Sucky stressful night, I know, but by this time tomorrow you will be SOOOOO relieved. As anxious as you are now is how relieved you will feel. Hard to focus on the end when there is a lot to get through in the middle but YOU CAN TOTALLY DO IT. I think this is so meant to be that it happens so close to your cleaning and you are still fresh in their minds which means they will be mindful of you and sensitive to the support you need.

You have so, so many of us "rooting" for you (pun TOTALLY intended) and supporting you and "virtual hand holders" with you in spirit tonight and tomorrow. We know just how you feel and also know how brave you are...even if YOU don't quite yet.

I think thinking the positive affirmations is a good idea. The potential new dentist I saw gave me a hypnosis cd for dental fear and while most of it is really goofy, the premise and suggestions are good ones....things to think like: compassion, comfortable, caring, careful, gentle, helpful, soothing, allowing health to happen, accepting help, surrounded by friends, trusting your dentist, the staff cares for you, the dentist makes you comfortable, I know, easier said than done BUT if you can think of them as trying to help NOT hurt you then things that come from that are easier to tolerate.

Hang in there....our thoughts are with you!! Can't wait to hear how well you did when it's over (which will be sooner than you think...honestly).

Lady Gaga and Kesha aren't even helping me tonight. I am glad to have such great friends. Thank you guys. I will try to get on here via ipod at school tomorrow. I won't be thinking about math, that's for sure!

CollegeBound - sending really good, positive, calming thoughts your way today. You will not freak out in 'The Chair'! And, just remember you are choosing to do this to take care of yourself and you are in control.

8 hrs to go (I'm counting down for you... Lol) -- until the start of your appointment and then it will be over before you know it. If your mom tried to talk go you today and tried to scare you, politely tell her you don't want to hear about that today.

We're all so proud of you for all of the super brave steps you've taken so far! Can't wait to hear how well it goes.

By the way -- I'm pretty sure I had sympathy insomnia for you last night :(

Take good care! You've got this!!!

Fearful, I am sorry that you couldn't sleep either. I didn't fall asleep until after 4 and then my dog woke me up at 8. At first, I woke up really relaxed and normal, thinking this is all a nightmare, but then Mom asks what time my appointment is and.... You guys can fill in the blanks.

I bought 3 songs last night. One ended up being a stupid cover that actually physically hurt my ears it was so bad, so I had to get on the computer and download the real version from the Apple website.

Then, I watched Scrubs on Netflix and nearly peed myself laughing. That was until about 3:45-3:55 ish.

Thanks for the love guys!

Alrighty folks! 1 more hour until CollegeBound's appointment. Let's all send some collective good thought. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

That was so easy! The shot didn't hurt hardly at all, the hygienist held my hand for the shots. I turned my music up loud so I didn't hear the handpiece. Thanks for your guys' support!

? My hair is a little past my shoulders, and I wore it in a low side bun and had to take it out so I could lay back, which basically destroyed my hair. I typically wouldn't freak out too bad over this, but I had class that afternoon and didn't have a hair brush on me to fix it back.

I don't have hair, but my husband has a considerable amount and he uses a wide stretchy headband called a "buff" which sort of holds all the hair back in a tube.

Hi CollegeBound

:yayy::yay::yay::yay::dance2::dance2::dance2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer::cheer:

Well ill done you for going through with it, told you the local would be pain free.

Get yourself off shopping for being so Amazing!!!!

you are an inspiration that it can be done.

cheers:cheers::perfect:

Yay!!! So happy for you that it went well! Like Spike said, I hope you're treating yourself to something this afternoon!

I decided that my 'treat' for my appointment on the 29th will be taking the day off from work -- the logistics of getting to and from the appointment from work without missing too much of the day were stressing me out, so I'm going to use one of my vacation days :)

I just have to say that I wish that I had our courage at your age! If I had, I know I wouldn't be dealing with all of the issues with my teeth now. Be sure to keep this up -- regular visits for cleanings, good oral hygiene, fixing what needs to be fixed. That will prevent you from ending up like so much of is here that have a mouthful of trouble after years and years of avoidance.

Congrats again for getting through today!!!

Thank you both! I will have the full lowdown when I have time to type it. Hopefully tonight. Some parts are rather comical!

I could use some dental comedy right about now...