• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Party with the partials....lol!!!!

M

Miss Partial

Hi Dentist Fearers like me.....

I have lurked here for the last 8 weeks and reading everyones posts has helped sooooo much that I decided today is the day I return the favour and write my success story.

The beginning.......

I plucked up guts to contact a dentist after avoiding the issue for a number of years even going as far as to replace a tooth at the front of my mouth with something that I ordered off the internet that you make yourself to fill the gap.
.....anything and everything was done to avoid that chair at all costs.

Well,eventually my teeth really started stressing me out. I had zero pain but they were so ugly. I had a deep overbite, they were yellow at the front from years of smoking and the bottom front teeth were erupting and showing the roots and had nasty calculus on them. I just knew people were looking at them and judging me. This is what drove me to the dentist as I was terrified of becoming unemployable they looked so bad.

I sat in my car with hands sweating and called the dentist (I had spent hours and hours researching before deciding on this one) I had to give a brief outline of the issue......cue hysteria and rapid speech ......and made the appt for the day after I returned from a ten day holiday. I figured I would be more relaxed....haha.

The day arrived, I attended after much panicking and stressing. I had xrays , hygienist assessment and meeting with my absolutely most feared individual professional......The Dentist!!! I knew things were really bad when they put a dvd on about peridontal disease whilst I waited to see her. As expected I was told I had advanced peridontal disease and had to have the offending four top teeth and six bottom teeth removed after two sessions of deep cleaning with local injections. OMG I could feel the walls coming in on me and the floor move when I stood up..I mumbled something like...... 'oh dont worry its totally my fault' to the poor dentist who had to deliver this news, who by the way was very very kind. She told me it was genetic..then I thought of my mum and grandmothers all havig full dentures in their 30s. I was pleased I had made it to 47. I left with my head spinning. Later, the treatment plan arrived by email...seeing it all in black and white intially made me cry then I realised that I was lucky, I was not losing them all and a weird mindset kicked in where I said ok Miss Partial this has happened but get a grip. I started reading everything on the internet I could find. Then I found the lovely folks on here.........this changed everything. The stories were so inspiring.

The middle....

I had the dreaded cleaning and injections twice.....not pleasant but did not kill me. The extractions were booked for four weeks after and in between that time and E day I had the vile impressions....gag...lol. I think that was the worst bit.

During this time I completely did my husbands head in talking about teeth for hours. His only comment was why worry you will look pretty bless him. I was suprised I wasn't divorced for unreasonable tooth behaviour.

The Day of Extractions arrived. My best friend came to drive me.....I was in total panic inside but did not want to show it and this helped. Into the lions den I went, everyone there was so welcoming and kind. All females which was great as not to keen on men poking around me. Then in went loads of local...then she started pulling ....nothing...I could feel NOTHING!!!!!!! :):):)

I could sense the teeth were out when the bottom partial clicked into my bottom teeth. This made me feel totally estatic at this point , as I knew that the only thing left to do was for the top partial to be placed, then I could get the hell out of that chair. Then she said sit up Miss Partial and have a look at your new smile. She gave me the mirror and I smiled and burst into tears.....oh my, I had never looked this nice in my entire life....she cried, yes the dentist ...the person I have spent years avoiding and being terrified of....the hygenist and all the lovely tooth ladies who had treated and looked after me since I first walked in the door. It was so emotional for me and I will never be able to thank them enough. Yes its private....yes I paid a lot, but the service was first class. And the teeth.....well unbelievable. I look years younger and have had no end of compliments.......someone even said to me the other day haven't you got beautiful teeth.....I looked over my shoulder thinking they meant someone else then realised she was def talking to me.

Well I got home with best friend who also kept saying how great they are....hubby came home and was like wow!!! ;D

Yes the first week was tricky to eat espech as I had top and bottom fronts to get used to but it was so worth it. I did not have one sore , zero pain and no bleeding and I am in my 5th week now. I have had two soft relines....love them. I can eat most things now but avoid bread as it sticks to top plate.. no loss as am losing weight as well. I went out for a Thai meal on week 3 and ate everything except rice and that's only because I didn't want to risk a grain going into the top socket.

The end......

If anyone is facing this trust me you will be fine. They feel weird at first but I have worn mine constantly even at night and don't really think about them much anymore. I go back in two months to discuss next steps as this is a temp denture.. ..so either a new cobalt denture top and bottom or dentures supported by implants but I am worried about the cost of implants so we will see. I have to have deep cleans every three months.. yuk!!! but I have learnt a harsh lesson and want to retain the teeth I have left.

Thank you everyone who posts on this forum you will never know how much your stories helped me take this journey...
I hope mine helps someone else. I still feel edgy going in but I think I have experienced the worst and lived. Please feel free to ask me anything you want. Only happy to help.....

I'm happy partying with my new partials....hugs to all. Miss Partial

Yay! I can't wait to get my partials! I got the right wisdom teeth and a molar removed last Friday. I have the left side this Friday and then I have to so my front! Then I got my partial!! I wild love to see a pic of yours!

Hi Bresmama

Thank you for replying to my post. Are you having immeadiate partials like me? Honestly, the best thing I have ever done. I'm 7 weeks in now. Just scoffed down chilli and rice with cheesy garlic bread. No starving here lol. I adjusted to mine sooo well because I totally hated my teeth in the front. They were horrible. Weirdly, all the others are nice and white.....no idea why the front were mullered. Prob smoking. I don't anymore. Lesson learnt. I can't wait to get permanents. My dentist wants me to have implants but the cost is way over what I can manage. Are you having lower, upper or like me both? Well done for getting going. The hardest part for me was getting in the dentists door. I do have before and after pics but they show my face. Am nervous of showing that on the internet and still nervous someone might criticise my new teeth......years of feeling no good because of them I guess. Best food I ate the first few days was smoked salmon and mash. No need to deprive self lol !!!

Its great you are feeling excited.....really be positive about this and you will be fine. You can join my party just bring your own partials!!!:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Miss P
I have 3 teeth missing on the bottom, & have to have the two front teeth removed for a partial. My dentist also said, mine was genetic. Both my mother & grandmother had to have dentures at a early age also. I had major bone loss on top so all of them have to go. I am getting an immediate denture. I sure hope I have the same experience that you had. No sores, zero pain, no bleeding! Thanks so much for sharing your story. I have a awesome dentist..

RubyG

Before you know it you will be posting your own sucess story here...........the thing that helped me the most was focusing on the end result and getting rid of the poisen in my mouth.

Good luck with it. When is it happening?

Miss P

Miss P
I go in on September 30, at 1:20 for the consultation with the surgeon. Will be making an appointment at that visit.. :o I have really been reading a lot on this site really helpful..

Hi Ruby

It's great you have been reading this forum. It really helped me before I had mine done. I didn't pluck up guts to post before I had mine out but I really wish I had as everyone is so kind.

Good luck wiith your appt.

Miss P

Hello Miss P
I went in for my first phase extractions yesterday, had 6 teeth pulled on top, 3 from both sides. I had lots of shots, and felt NOTHING!!! Iced all day yesterday, bleeding stopped pretty quick, woke up this morning with no swelling and or pain. Even stopped taking pain pills they were making me nausated anyway. Appointment set for November 3 for impressions to be started!!!!!! :jump: Getting closer to my new SMILE! :grin:

Hi Ruby G

Well done to you.....its nowhere near as bad as we imagine. My partials and I have been away on holiday so not been online thanks to rubbish wifi..... but so pleased you popped in to let me know how you got on. When is the next faze? Do you know when you will get your new shiny new 'babies'?

Miss P

I remember you saying you would be out and about for awhile so I posted, figuring you would see when you got back. Not sure when I will get my "shiny new babies" yet. Hopefully will have some kind of an idea when I go in for my next appointment with my dentist for Impressions. Wish me luck with that, hope all goes well. Thanks for getting back to me sure appreciate it.

Took way longer then expected but I finally got my partials today! They hurt so bad!
how are you ladies doing with yours?

Back