• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

How many hours a day do you spend thinking about your teeth

M

Miss Partial

Hi Everyone

I am curious how many hours people spend thinking , researching the net and looking at this forum/ obsessing to friends and family. I think I am obsessed. Shame I wasn't obsessed before ten teeth were pulled....how about you?

Way too many :(. Especially when I have appointments coming up.

Pretty much constantly at this point. I thought I was FINALLY in the clear from ever having to step foot in the office but boy was I wrong! I've got my upper partial fighting me, my lower partial fighting me, and a filling still pulling the cold sensitivity stunt on me. yea, REAL fun. I'll have to call the office on Monday. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think about it most of the time that I am not extremely busy, like at school, but if I get a moment of thought, I usually think about my next appointment or surf DFC. I try to not let others see what I am doing, so I either do it in my room, or use my ipod with my earbuds in so people think that I am merely listening in music, and not obsessing.

Moral of the story, most 90% of the time.

I am trying to work out if I have a phobia or obsession or both lol. I think about them ALL the time. Sometimes I think about the partials breaking my teeth. Then I think about the partials flying out ...then I constantly think about and inspect the teeth I have left....oh and the gums. I then think about next dentist appt and panic but know I have to go or all the above gets worse.

I am trying to work out if I have a phobia or obsession or both lol. I think about them ALL the time. Sometimes I think about the partials breaking my teeth. Then I think about the partials flying out ...then I constantly think about and inspect the teeth I have left....oh and the gums. I then think about next dentist appt and panic but know I have to go or all the above gets worse.

As long as the partials fit right, the chances of them flying out are slim. That happened to me once but that was b4 the first adjustment. Ill time sneezed plus partials that don't fit right = upper partial shooting out across the room. I didn't know those things could fly so fast. XD

Back in 1998 when I first got the root planing and scaling and was told I had gum disease I was totally obsessed with my teeth. I thought about them every couple of minutes and was constantly looking at them in the mirror and looking at other people's and comparing them with mine. To the point where I went on medication for a couple of months because I was so anxious and obsessed. Miss partial if it is taking over your life then you maybe need to have a chat with your doctor. I'm not saying you need medication but there could be an element of anxiety that some directed strategies could help. Life's too short for worrying all the time.

Hi Katy

Yeah I know your right!!! It's manageable. I work in the 'advice' industry so know if it gets out of hand to seek help. Maybe when all my treatment is over I will resume life as I knew it......only with acrylic teeth lol!!! Thank you for caring enough to reply and offer advice. Its nice talking on here rather than doing my family and friends heads in :respect:

Good question!

When they hurt...like now...all the time. How can you NOT when you can't get comfortable?

Then the panic sets in...to stop the pain you need help....which means you need to call the dentist...then you call which means you need to GO....then you go which means something gets "treated"...then it still hurts or it doesn't, they find other problems or they don't....

AVOIDANCE is SO MUCH EASIER, is it not? I hardly thought about it before my abscess. Not a minute of guilt about not going until.....

Maybe I'm just making up for lost time. Didn't think about it for a decade so now I think about it 24/7 for the last 3 months.

Too many. I feel like my life is ruled by my teeth at this point :(

We all spend too much time stressing and thinking about our teeth at times. There is light at the end of the tunnel though because once we have treatment and get to the end of it all it is such a relief and we get a few months break until the next time and it all starts again.

It is good to come on here and get things off our chest and also rant to people that understand how we feel. This site is very good at listening and offering support and encouragement and very friendly too.

Good luck with your treatment :clover::clover::clover: it will end you know :ROFLMAO: but in the meantime just join the rest of us stress heads :butterfly:

Now that my teeth are gone my head feels like a weightless, pain free balloon that might accidentally float free of my body. Before, all I could think about was my hurting teeth.

Too bad you just let those times slipped away. Having a perfect set of teeth is really a good asset to have that's why we should start taking care of them when we are young to develop a good oral health habit. Also, it's never too late to fix those teeth problems if you only have the courage to do it and of course the resources. :)

Too bad you just let those times slipped away. Having a perfect set of teeth is really a good asset to have that's why we should start taking care of them when we are young to develop a good oral health habit. Also, it's never too late to fix those teeth problems if you only have the courage to do it and of course the resources. :)

That's stating the bleedin obvious kellygrimes......and I am fixing the problems. Resources are another matter, but I choose to do my dentistry in the West where even if I can afford only a little at a time it will be done well and in hygenic circumstances. :grin:

?............and I am fixing the problems. Resources are another matter, but I choose to do my dentistry in the West where even if I can afford only a little at a time it will be done well and in hygenic circumstances. :grin:

Absolutely spot on Miss Partial, couldn't have put it better myself, it's tempting to look elsewhere for cheaper dentistry but there is no recourse if it all goes wrong and standards of treatment and infection control do differ quite a bit. Cheapest is not necessarily best.

Back on topic, I do go through phases of hardly thinking about teeth at all then I think about them quite a bit, especially if I'm coming up to an appointment;)

Thanks Spike they have deleted the previous offending/advertising post.

Before I started having broken teeth (2013) and other problems, I rarely ever thought about them. And my dental phobia was pretty mild for a while there....

Last year in the spring 2 of my teeth broke suddenly and I just couldn't get into the dental chair...I thought about the teeth 24/7 They ruined so many of my days.

Not to mention some nights that i was rolling around in tears from toothache :(

Now that I've found a dentist that I can manage with I don't think about them nearly as much :)

Of course I am still keyed up before an appointment but I don't worry about the actual teeth now, like I used to

I used to even wake up in the night and worry about them :( I hate that I spent so much time dealing with pain and obsessing

All the time! My family members won't even let me discuss teeth with them anymore lol! My teeth rule my life now. I am trying to get in control. I am hoping I can!

Back