• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Newbie here! Scared! Appointment this afternoon to take wizzies out (IV sedation)

A

Alexismommy4

Newbie here! Scared! Appointment this afternoon to take wizzies out (IV sedation)

Hey guys! I've been a lurker for so long and your stories and encouragement have helped me more than you;ll ever know. I'm 35 years old and hadn't been to the dentist in over 10 years due to a traumatizing experience. A nasty infection forced me to go a couple of weeks ago out of despair! I was told that the first step of my treatment plan, after a full round of antibiotics, is to get all four of my wisdom teeth removed. The 2 bottoms are erupted and the 2 uppers are partial bony?? Sorry if I don't know the lingo that well. :giggle: My dentist recommended IV sedation because of my fear and anxiety. It is now 8:45am and my appointment is at 1:30pm. I was doing pretty well yesterday, but now my stomach is in knots and the anxiety is getting the best of me. I'm afraid of everything: the sedation and recovery. My husband has been so supportive and in the middle of me writing this, gave me the most beautiful card about being with me the whole way through. So supportive and encouraging. So with his support and the support of you guys (through your wonderful posts), why am I still a wreck this morning?? CAN'T WAIT to post a success story later! I can do this!

Re: Newbie here! Scared! Appointment this afternoon to take wizzies out (IV sedation)

i got the sedation and it was great! the anti inflammatorys they give you feel weird you can feel it going up your vien its realy cool! i got the sedation due to my major phobia as well. Good Luck

Re: Newbie here! Scared! Appointment this afternoon to take wizzies out (IV sedation)

Update - I had to reschedule my appointment to this upcoming Friday because I cut it too close to the "no eating for 8 hours" window and they didn't want to chance it. So, now the agony continues until this Friday morning. I'm not as afraid of the surgery anymore as I am as the recovery. Ahhh!

Update - just had the procedure done at 11am and it was so ridiculously easy, that I can't even believe it. As everyone has said (but you never believe it will be you), the very worst part is the anticipation and fear beforehand. Once that IV goes in, it's all over! As soon as it started. I mean, talk about a piece of cake. I just had my Wendy's frosty, took my medication, I'm icing on and of with bags of peas, getting pampered by my husband, and watching tv curled up in the couch. Trying to stay ahead of any pain that may come by religiously staying on top of my medication. The numbness is slowly fading away and so far, zero pain. This was one of the easiest procedures I've ever had. I'm waiting until about 3-5 days out before I post my success story, but I have such a great feeling about this recovery. Staying positive and so relieved that the surgery is behind me and that my wizzies are out. This forum has helped me more than any of you will ever know and I am so grateful for each and every person who shared encourage stories and experiences; you gave me more strength than I ever thought I could have. Going back to rest - happy, happy, happy! :jump: