• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Discomfort in molar after bite of very hot food

S

scareddiane

One of my bottom molars is next to a spot where another molar was pulled years ago. There is receding gum in the area where the other molar was removed. This morning I put a spoonful of hot grits in my mouth right on that tooth. There was momentary discomfort..... not sharp pain or really 'pain' but discomfort. I do sleep in a night guard and clinch. Ice cream or other cold things don't bother it. Actually, this is the first time I've ever noticed the heat bothering it.

I moved the food away and the discomfort stopped. That tooth has a crown and has not bothered me previously. Hot coffee didn't bother it. The crown was put on about 6 years ago by a dentist to protect it because it has lots of fillings. I stopped going to him when he wanted to crown all my molars for basically the same reason.

Thoughts? Insurance won't pay for more x rays til January.

Last edited:
sounds like sensitivity on a section of root exposed by gum recession.
rub some anti sensitive toothpaste on it a few times and hopefully it'll settle.

Back