• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chewing gum good for you teeth

K

KylalaKitty

I totally forgot about this until now and thought I'd share this is everyone. Certain chewing gums are actually good for fighting cavities and strengthening tooth enamel!

"Xylitol Is Sweet for Your Teeth
Chewing gum is even more effective at preventing cavities if it contains a sugar replacement called Xylitol. Xylitol is a naturally occurring sweetener that some studies have shown can reduce the amount of cavity-causing bacteria in your mouth. Since Xylitol, unlike sugar, is unsuitable as fuel for these organisms, the number of bacteria decreases, leaving your mouth a safer place for your teeth.
Some Gum Can Even Harden Tooth Enamel
Some gum manufacturers are beginning to add a substance called casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate (CPP-ACP) to their products. CPP-ACP, more commonly known by its trademarked name Recaldent, is said to remineralize and harden tooth enamel, making your teeth stronger and less likely to suffer from tooth decay."

(from the Colgate website)

That's really interesting, good to know that at least my gum-chewing habit isn't damaging my teeth

I gave up chewing gum after all the work was being done in my mouth because I was scared it would pop out a filling or crown. I found there are gums that won't stick to dental work and have been enjoying those when I can find them :)

Back