• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Success and motivation for others :)

Z

zombiegroupie

I have posted a short success story before, but I wanted to post again for all of the lovely people who are struggling here..

I have had my struggle with dentists on and off since I had a traumatic experience as a child. As a result I rarely went in between "emergency" visits.

In 2013, I had 2 of my teeth break at different times. the toothaches were horrible. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't hardly take care of my daughter. I was afraid to eat because i was afraid mor teeth would break.

I found a cosmetic dentist who advertised for phobias, using lasers and air abrasion, no shots, no pain etc. Of course that wasn't applicable to my situation and I became even more scared.

I confessed to my therapist that I almost wanted to commit suicide because of the pain, and she gave me a name of a dentist that she knew from her therapy network.

I saw him and he gave me a treatment plan. I made an appointment to begin the work, and then chickened out and skipped it.

It was almost another year befor I went back to him. I was in such pain all the time, I couldn't eat properly, I was a wreck.

I started small, getting one broken tooth extracted. I felt amazing after that. Knowing that I got rid of a serious problem in my mouth and that I made it through!

Throughout the summer of 2014, I had the rest of the most pressing work done. I had 7 fillings and 2 more teeth extracted by my new dentist.

The reward for going through all this? I don't have to worry about my broken teeth breaking more when I eat. I don't have a horrible taste in my mouth all the time or pain, every night.

I finally felt like I got my life back from my dental phobia. Now, I do worry about my teeth but probably just as much as a normal person.

You can do it! Even if you're sitting here saying, that's great but there's no way I can do that....yes you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, I felt much the same and thought there was no hope for me, but a couple of very good dentists and some treatment I needed have me converted and now I can go without being too stressed or nervous. Mine was a lifetime fear through childhood experiences and some as an adult but at 56 years old I never in my life have felt so relaxed going to see my dentist. There is hope, and it is never too late as zombiegroupie has said :butterfly:

So thoughtful and well done, Zombiegroupie!! Thank you for the inspiration when so many of us are at the end of our ropes. You've given us all encouragement and hope, as have you Carole. I can't imagine the day and the relief that comes with not seeing a dental appointment as a fate worse than death as I do now. Here's hoping we all share your same emotional and physical healing and soon!!

You will it just takes the right dentist and your determination which I know you have Mugz. You are stronger than you think :xmastree::xmastree::xmastree::butterfly:

Thank you Carole. If someone had told me when my tooth went bad in June that I'd see 6 dentists before the year was done I'd have refused the first appointment and given up before I started...and probably be doing my own dental work in the bathroom! This is MUCH MORE than I bargained for. Now that I'm in the thick of it I have to hope you're both right!!!

you can do it mugz!!!

I have posted a short success story before, but I wanted to post again for all of the lovely people who are struggling here..

I have had my struggle with dentists on and off since I had a traumatic experience as a child. As a result I rarely went in between "emergency" visits.

In 2013, I had 2 of my teeth break at different times. the toothaches were horrible. I couldn't sleep, I couldn't hardly take care of my daughter. I was afraid to eat because i was afraid mor teeth would break.

I found a cosmetic dentist who advertised for phobias, using lasers and air abrasion, no shots, no pain etc. Of course that wasn't applicable to my situation and I became even more scared.

I confessed to my therapist that I almost wanted to commit suicide because of the pain, and she gave me a name of a dentist that she knew from her therapy network.

I saw him and he gave me a treatment plan. I made an appointment to begin the work, and then chickened out and skipped it.

It was almost another year befor I went back to him. I was in such pain all the time, I couldn't eat properly, I was a wreck.

I started small, getting one broken tooth extracted. I felt amazing after that. Knowing that I got rid of a serious problem in my mouth and that I made it through!

Throughout the summer of 2014, I had the rest of the most pressing work done. I had 7 fillings and 2 more teeth extracted by my new dentist.

The reward for going through all this? I don't have to worry about my broken teeth breaking more when I eat. I don't have a horrible taste in my mouth all the time or pain, every night.

I finally felt like I got my life back from my dental phobia. Now, I do worry about my teeth but probably just as much as a normal person.

You can do it! Even if you're sitting here saying, that's great but there's no way I can do that....yes you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have done so well. It must be a fantastic feeling. I would love to be told "come back in 6 months" but I doubt it will ever happen.

You will get there Carriss :hugs:

nice Zombiagroupie

its very nice to read your story:grin:

Back