• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

need tips on how to cope with dentures

G

gummybear

Hello, On the 18th June 07 i had 14 teeth removed and the dentures in place at the same time (Under Sedation) :rolleyes: They have left 3 teeth in at the bottom for a more secure fit as the bottom dentures is suppose to be harder to get use to?

I wasnt in much pain on the first day even after local had worn off i had loaded my system with painkillers, but i then got a dry socket which was very painful, no sleep couldnt eat, to many painkillers, manage to get back to the dentist and was prescribed antibiotics which did ease the pain.

Also the bottom denture didnt fit correctly it was sitting tilted and needed to be re shaped around my bottom tooth on the left side,

I got to see my dentist this wed 27th june, and she has made them fit much much better, the problem ive got now is i need them to be glued in (Fixedent) or i cant keep them in and eating is a nightmare

Please can anyone give me tips on how to get use to eating, i lived on milkshakes and weetabix for the first 8 days.

Since the dentures have been fitted correctly i have started to try more soild foods but i dont like it, it feels very strange like im going to pull the teeth out, it is still quite tender in my mouth, got big big ulcers, they are going but its slow, food just doesnt feel right in my mouth

Help :confused: :confused:

Hi gummybear and :welcome:!

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing trouble with eating. I'm afraid that I don't really know of any helpful tips but there may be others who can offer you some. In the meantime there is some information as well as links to other denture sites on here that you may find useful:

Best of luck to you as you adjust to your new smile. I'm sure you'll soon get used to things and be feeling much better!

Take care,
Pam

Hi, Pam

Thank You!! :hug2:

The teeth are awesome, they look really good and so natural, you would never know that there false,

I just want them to feel like they belong and be able to enjoy a meal.

Cheers Alex

Hi gummybear. I have a full upper denture and a partial on the bottom. I am still adjusting to the partial, but I can totally relate to the eating part.

You had the surgery quite recently, so your gums may not be healed enough for real solid food. With my upper, it was quite along time before I tried to eat certain kinds of food. Have you tried gradually working your way up to the solid food. Going from milkshakes to chewy meats, probably isn't good. Try soft foods, ie: mashed potatoes etc. Then work up to more solid things. It can take several weeks for the mouth to heal. The gums are probably still swollen and as they go down, the denture will need to be adjusted some more.

No quick fix I am afraid. I know that the soft mushy food can get old real fast. But please try to allow some more time for the gums to heal. Once they do, I am sure the denture will fit much better and the eating will become easier.

Hope this helps

Hi

Ive been reading the links that Pam posted, a lot say that you need to take the dentures out to give the gums a rest??

I dont feel comfortable taking them out even for bed, i have told my dentist this and she never said i should take them out,

They have been in now11 days and apart from cleaning i have never taken them out, was wondering if this is causing healing to take longer or is it normal to still feel discomfort.

The best way i can describe the feeling in my mouth is; i feel i want to bite really really hard and its all i think about all day.

I am very concious of what i look like without the teeth so taking them out and my husband or anyone else for that matter seeing me with them out is too embarassing :shame: :shame:

Any info welcome

Thanks Alex

Hi

Aw!!!

And Thank you!!

I think if someone could give me a time slot of how long it will be before i start to feel better with them, i would then have something to go off.

I will take you advise and try softer foods, i dont think i could even attempt meat, i am find even a sandwich hard to deal with

Thanks Again Alex

When I had the top teeth out it took about a month before I tried a sandwich. Probably being overly cautious and fear of what I would feel. I believe the bottom is harder, due to the fact that it seems to take alot of the bront of the chewing pressure. Think of it like exercise. You wouldn't decide to start and workout for 3 hours on day one....you would gradually work up to it. ;) Work up to the solid foods. Once you get used to soft foods, add in something slightly tougher, and so on.

Regarding taking the dentures out. I can not sleep without mine, as I have a jaw joint disorder and that makes this worse. I try to take them out for a hour or so, Usually before bed and when no one is around to see me, to give my gums a rest. Why not ask your dentist if this could be done. My dentist said that should be fine for me, but as everyone is different, you should check with your dentist.

Hope this helps

Hi Gummy Bear et al: Am reading this topic with great interest as I am due to have full dentures in a few weeks. I have deliberately timed all my appointments to that I could have impressions, bite check and trial dentures (how when I've still got the teeth I don't know) then extracton and dentures fitted all by end August so when I go back to work 2nd week September(I teach in colleges) I will have got used to the dentures, learned to speak and be able to eat naturally.
Reading these postings though makes me think that's not going to happen and I must admit to feeling even more worried than I was. Anyone out there who has had dentures fitted and got used to them without problems in just 2 weeks? Please, I do hope so, I really need support now.

Back