• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

please help i cant get used to my dentures

L

leah1503

Hi my name is leah and im new to this.
Iam only 28 yrs old and ive been through so much in 6 mths then i have in my life, ill had a bad time.
I have all my teeth removed nearly 6 weeks ago now and ive had my dentures but ive only worn them twice as i cant get used to them, i went dentist 2 days ago and he sorted out the top ones fine but my bottom ones wont stay still even with the powder on they come un stick and start moving around.
Can anyone give me some advice as i hate getting up mornings and think about putting my teeth in, i cant do it. Will it get easier???? please help :redface:

Hi Leah and :welcome:!

I'm sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult time getting used to your new smile. While I don't have any practical advice for you I'm sure there are others who may be able to help. Have a look at this page and the links at the bottom:

Best of luck to you and I hope you find comfort soon!

Take care,

Pam

Hi Leah and :welcome: I can totally relate with what you are going through. I have a full top denture and a bottom partial (only 7 teeth left on the bottom)

For the top denture, I need several adjustments over several months until the fit was perfect. But I have problems with the bottom partial too. I was given the option to keep the partial in at night and have found that by leaving it in helps alot. When the partial is out over night, it take several hours for it to fit correctly again. It flops around for hours until the gums have adjusted to it. I still have fit issues with it, but it is much better for me to just leave it in at night and remove it for an hour or so in the morning or at night (of course when no one sees me ;))

One thing my dentist has suggested and I am considering, is having mini implants put in to secure the bottom partial in place. For now however, I am still going for adjustments and trying to get used to it. Even as I am typing this, I am trying to pick up the phone to go for yet another adjustment :sick:

Hope this helps :XXLhug:

hi :)
Thanks for your reply
Iam going dentist tomorrow but this time on goin private they seem to know what they are doin abit better anyway i will let you know
thanks again for the message x
leah

Best of Luck tomarrow :thumbsup:

Hi
Went dentist today and he said that my bottoms need relining so i will have that done nxt week. Its still hard getting used to them when i put them in in the mornings i try and keep them in all day but i cant eat nothing with them in as im not used to it, and when i do try n chew my bottom teeth lift up, driving me nuts lol :scared:

What is this relining of dentures that I keep reading about, and my dentist has said that when I have temporary dentures fitted, I might need relining twice for lower one. Is it a separate layer that they sort of stick in between your gum and denture, rather like an inner sole in a shoe? Surely it must be uncomfortable. My main worry is how long will it take to be able to speak as I do at the moment. Also when permanents are fitted, dentist did suggest having implants to hold in place? Is this even more painful and if they can do implants, why denture in first place? :confused:

Back