• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

9 year old afraid of dental treatment

F

flowerfae

Former Member
My daughter had encephalitis when she was 2, and as a result of this the enamel on her teeth has not formed which is causing her a lot of problems with her teeth. She needs to have alot of dental treatment, her teeth will need to be capped when she is older along with braces, but for now she needs to have something painted on her teeth to protect them, which should be really simple, but she's terrified and no matter how much me, her dad and the dental surgery staff try to convince her to let them do it, she won't. She says she can't breathe but its just fear and that she's panicing, and saying she can't breathe so they will stop, she also thinks she's going to choke on the cotton wool.

She hasn't had any form of dental treatment prior to this and before has only had general checkups, where she has been fine.

We have explained to her that they are only painting her teeth (and said it is like her having her nails painted) but she gets hysterical and starts crying. The only thing I can think of which could cause her to be like that is when she was in hospital before being diagnosed with encephalitis, she had alot of medical staff around her and alot of injections, blood tests and other medical tests such as scans and lumbar puncture (although she was under general anaesthetic for that), this is the only thing I can think of (although it was a long time ago) which might have put her off, but obviously couldn't be avoided.

Its been suggested that we get her counselling which we will go to the GP and ask them about this, but I'm really worried about her teeth getting worse, I've told her she can't have any sugary things until she has her teeth protected but I can't think of what else to do. I've asked if they could give her laughing gas but they say they can't do that.

has anyone else had any similar experiences or advice on what to do?

Any kids who has fear of a dentist should always get to know their dentist first. I suggest that your parents should go in and talk with him\her before there is a issue that require immediate attention.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

Has the dentist tried showing her the tools used if any and let her feel on her hand how they feel. Also could they give here a cotton bud with some of the paste on for her to put on her teeth herself. They could also ask her to do the front herself and if she is comfortable with that they could ask her to put it on the other teeth with them holding a mirror and telling her where to put it. If she feels able to do this she won't put it on properly but it gets some on and it gives her control. Over time they could ask her if they could have a go with them just doing the front teeth and only doing what she will allow at the time.

Hopefully giving her control and allowing her to direct how and when it is done she will be able to get it done properly by the dentist in time. :butterfly:

Please see various dentist I commend you for trying to help your daughters hygine??? I wish my mom would have been like you i wouldn't be suffering from pain and anxioty of how my teeth look and feel. Try looking for one that had the Ada approval in there office. Or on there website agin you should me proud of your self for not letting time pass before seeking help that's how parent should be!?????

Hi!
It sounds like you are talking about dental sealants. I have a very distinct memory of being brought into my pediatric dentist office to have them done on my teeth as a child (I was probably around 5 years old) and I also freaked out and was not going to let them anywhere near my mouth! :censored: The ONLY thing that convinced me to cooperate with the dental staff was having the hygienist take me over to watch another child who was having the same procedure done and explained to me what they were doing so that I could see for myself that it was truly painless. After that, I am pretty sure I happily went along with their plans. Maybe you could find a good youtube video of a kid having the same thing done (and tolerating the procedure well) to put her mind at ease and give her an idea of exactly what to expect? Also give her an opportunity to ask questions and tell you what she is afraid of without making her feel like she is being judged so you can address her specific concerns. Good luck!

Back