• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

26 years old and getting dentures, I'm scared!!

J

Jesslyn27

I'm a 26 year old female, and after having my son in 2001 my teeth just started going bad, and I was also in an accident... I recently went to get a full consultation and exam, surprisingly I'm going to have to get a full upper denture and a bottom partial..for my lower back teeth that need to be removed. This whole ordeal will take a month and a half, they are removing my bottom and top back teeth first, then I will heal for a month.

The next step is to get impressions, and my "fake teeth" made. I'm going to be fully asleep during the process, yet I am still scared to death. It's so crazy to be so young and find out that my teeth are all bad..except for my front on the bottom (6 teeth). I'm terrified they will make me look old, or unattractive. I'm also worried about the fact that they may look completely unnatural. I consider myself an attractive woman, and I hope someone can help!!! I go in for the extractions on the 7th, any help or info about dentures would be great!!

Re: 26 years old and getting dentures, I'm scared!

Hi Jesslyn and :welcome: I am so sorry for the delay in answering your post. Your story is very familiar to me (except for the baby part ;)) I had to have all of my top teeth and several bottom teeth removed when I was 38 yrs old, after and accident while on vacation. The teeth may have survived, but do to my phobia, I had avoided the dentist for quite a long time.

I had the same fears as you, regarding the look of the teeth. Let me assure you, no one can tell I have a denture, unless I choose to tell them. In fact, when I first got the top denture, I could not stop smiling. It had been so long since I had descent teeth to smile with ;D

You will be soooo happy with your new teeth!!!

If I can answer any questions, feel free to ask ;)

Hi.
I have always been afraid of dentists, but tried t keep a good hygiene. But in my family some have something wrong with the tissue holding the teeth in place.
I went to the dentist and would have a dental checkup since I had not been there for a while. The dentist took x-rays and came back and told me that I had a major problem in that it looked like tere was something wrong with what kept the roots in place . and when she wiggled the teeth they were loose. I did not have periodontal desease and the bone was near 100%.
She strongly recommended the teeth to be pulled. I was devastated and thought the world caved in on me . Toothless at 18.
Now after some months with full dentures the life is nearly back to normal and dentures are not that bad at all. I thought it would be horrible after all those horror stories.
Extractions were no problem and near painless.
I don't like being toothless and having dentures because of the dating, but even that has turned out good.
I think that is true what the dentist told me that having good bone the gums will be good and dentures are not really a problem otherthan the psychological one (which can be hard enough).
Given my situation I am happy with the result. Good looking teeth and a nice smile and no pain. But, the thought of having no teeth and looking at myself without is not nice but I am getting more and ore used to these thoughts.
Friends and family have been so supportive and nice to me. Soo all in all It is not the end of the world

hi --

i'm 37, and had all of my teeth extracted with full upper and lower dentures. i'm about 5 or 6 weeks post-op.

my teeth and gums were bad - i avoided the dentist at all costs, and the years of neglect led me to finally deciding i needed to take some action.

i don't regret the decision i made to go get them checked - or to go ahead with the dentures. you will feel so much better! it takes some getting used to, but know that it will all be ok.

good luck -- :)

I'm new here and I am around your age, well 24. I will be getting partials within the next month. I was nervous at first because I am so young but I was amazed to find out ALOT of younger people have false teeth. No one really talks about it. Everything will be fine, especially if you have supportive people around you. Reading about other peoples experiences made me feel very comfortable to know I am not the only one going through this. You can do it!!! :yay:

Hi and :welcome: Man you must be really scared but dont worry we are all here for you i can only imagine how tuff it must be for you to handle me not being in not nearly as bad a situation i still have most of my teeth and very greatfull. all though i havent had any work done yet but i will soon i will keep you posted and you need to stay strong for youre kids well hope it went well and if you need me just message me kay and keep us posted :grouphug:

Hi jess,
36 with top and bottom partials...one week later here. I am having probs, but I seem to be the minority, but regardless, I still don't regret having the extractions (not that I had a choice).
They do look real...mine actually look like how they ought to have been, had they grown ok and been intact. So, I can still moan about my teeth...but they are perfect looking, in an imperfect way. Colour match, shape...everything.
The getting used to takes patience by the looks of it, still early days to say much more.
You said extractions on the 7th...was that yesterday? If so, hope all went well, and that you are feeling ok.

You can even insist on making them Tom Cruise neon white if you want to! (I didn't....I don't have them yet either but that's a story under my journal.)

I have seen what they will look like when they're finished and it will be a huge uplifting thing when I do get them. I imagine they take some getting used to (especially for me, being toothless since almost Christmas).

It might be hard at times but if it's what you have to do, you have to do it. It's not as bad as you might think!

Promise!

Back