• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth Extraction! Scared!!

C

creampuff500

So it's only a primary molar but I've never gotten a tooth pulled before. Not even a filling. My orthodontist want the baby tooth out so that he can put a bracket on the new tooth. The primary tooth is not moving what-so-ever. I've asked my dentist to give me laughing gas so I'll be a bit more calm. What is the procedure for getting a tooth pulled? Does the shot hurt? What does the laughing gas feel like?? I'm freaking out and I really want to come out of the dentist tomorrow smiling and saying it wasn't that bad. Please help!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hi.

I would definitely recommend the laughing gas (nitrous oxide). People experience different feelings from it. For me it was a drowsy and kind of drunk feeling. I felt a tingling/pins and needles sensation throughout my body, but after awhile you don't notice it. For me the nitrous also made me lose my sense of time temporarily. It was a 2 1/2 hour procedure, for my deep cleaning and it felt like 15 - 20 minutes. The nitrous totally takes away the anxiety.

Pulling the tooth shouldn't be too bad. You'll feel the shot, but nothing after that. If you do, tell them and they can give you more medication. It also helps to get the numbing gel before the shot.

Good luck with everything. Let us know how it went.

JJ

Even though this is an older thread I would just like to come in here for anyone that may come across this and are feeling worried.

When we are due to have an extraction especially if we haven't had one before it is very stressful and can cause us to feel nervous and give us a few sleepless nights. The stress and panic we feel is the worst it is going to get, far worse than the procedure itself.

I haven't had sedation or laughing gas myself but I think ssocea above has described it very well. The dentist can use a gel called topical that they rub on the gum in the area where the injection is to be given. This numbs the gum area so that when the injection is given you don't feel anything, except maybe a little bit of pressure. The injection if given slowly will be pain free, any further injections after this won't be felt because you will be numb from the first one. If the injection is done really slowly you don't need the gel, you won't feel it.

Once you are numb and if you aren't sure the dentist can test the area. If you feel anything they can top you up. They will prepare the tooth and lift it out. No tugging or pulling or pain. It will be out before you know it, the most you will feel is maybe a little pressure, not everyone feels this. You may hear some sounds like cracking but you won't feel anything at all. This is all normal and don't be worried. The dentist will guide you through it and before you know it they will say it has gone. They put a gauze across the gap and ask you to bite down. In a couple of minutes they will check that the clot is forming and once they are happy that things are okay you are done and on your way. The last tooth I had out took seconds, I have found that it takes longer waiting to get numb than it does for the teeth extracting.

Anyone reading this I hope it is some help :)

Everyone has anxiety about different procedures some are afraid of check ups and some fear the drill or having rct's all fears however small or large are valid. Whatever we fear there is an answer to getting the treatment we need. The biggest factor in combatting dental fear is to find an understanding and patient dentist that we can work with in order to help them to help us.

All the best to anyone worried about an issue, fear/phobia can and does in a lot of cases get easier and eliminated. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Back