Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing a denture for the first time

happydancyfeet Guest

Default removing a denture for the first time

I had four teeth removed yesterday and a partial fitted (lower front)
      I have been rinsing my mouth with salt water and managed to brush the upper teeth with corsydol toothpaste last night. Now I have to remove the partial and I'm petrified about doing it and not getting it back in properly. Any different sensation /pain in my mouth leads me to panic attacks.

Seems ridiculous to feel like this after getting this far.
      Is it too early to remove them? should I wait another day?
      I dont want to remove them too early and dislodge the clotting. Any advice please folks?

happydancyfeet Guest

Default Re: removing a denture for the first time

Its ok folks................ I DID IT lol

It came out easily and cleanly (phewwww)

Hi,
      I had that same exact panic fear over the weekend. I have a top partial. It feels so weird when I took it out. No place to put my tongue. I hate it when I take out the partial not because of any pain or anything.

happydancyfeet Guest

It does feel strange doesnt it. I cant ever see myself sleeping without it. I managed to have a very short, quick look at myself without it.... not a pretty sight lol.

This is exactly what I am having a lot of 'issues' over, also. I dont ever want to take it out for long.
      I dont want to look in the mirror without the denture, once its in. :-/ :'(

Hi HappyDancing Feet,
      Well you are much braver than me. It has been exactly a week since my teeth removal. I only had 4 on top but I can't bear to look in a mirror yet. I don't know if I ever will. I know that probably sounds sad.

I am still trying to deal w/hubby. He is very supportive. But I don't want him to see me without it.

Hi Susan,

I am having the same HUGE HUGE ISSUE right now. The other night I waited till hubby had fallen asleep to go to bed and take out the partial. I just feel so ugly without it. Even having the partial in, I don't feel that great about myself right now.

The emotional issues attached to my phobia are almost as bad as the phobia itself. I wish I could get over this shame.

Im having a full upper denture on the 22nd....I cannot imagine looking in the mirror having no upper teeth.
      It is simply beyond me.
      I cant imagine my tongue feeling no teeth. Cant imagine any of this.
      It feels so.....like Im no good anymore. I cant get a handle on this part.....I just wept today.
      I cant imagine ever taking the denture out but know I will have to......

btw....I dont know why the time says what it does: Its 10:30pm here.

happydancyfeet Guest

Hi squiggles and susan,

I thought I'd be ashamed having a partial denture too, but I can now do this My lower front teeth were loose, sore, and looked horrid, so now i can smile without feeling embarrassed. I still have to have a partial on the top .......... I have two gaps either side of the front 4 ( if that makes sense lol)

I'm not up to biting/chewing yet, so I'm still on soft foods. ( any sudden movement of the partial sends me into a panic) I find myself craving steak at the moment lol

I think what helped me come to terms with looking at myself without the partial, was a website I looked at. A lady had documented her journey of having FULL dentures and posted pictures of her toothless grin etc. I dont have the website addy on the laptop, but if you want the addy I'll post it later

[smiley=grouphug.gif]

Hi Susan and squiggles - I can confirm what happy has said. I recently had 10 teeth out, and now have upper and lower partials. Yes, it still feels wierd at night when I take them out, and I don't look at myself too long in the mirror as only having a few teeth left is very freaky .
      BUT I no longer have constant tooth ache; no recurrent gum absesses; no fearing every moment of the day what people think of my teeth. And I can smile, as happy can .
      I think moving to partials is a big emotional journey, so do give yourself time and lots of pats on the back for taking this big step. [smiley=grouphug.gif]