• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

removing a denture for the first time

H

happydancyfeet

Former Member
I had four teeth removed yesterday and a partial fitted (lower front)
I have been rinsing my mouth with salt water and managed to brush the upper teeth with corsydol toothpaste last night. Now I have to remove the partial and I'm petrified about doing it and not getting it back in properly. Any different sensation /pain in my mouth leads me to panic attacks.

Seems ridiculous to feel like this after getting this far.
Is it too early to remove them? should I wait another day?
I dont want to remove them too early and dislodge the clotting. Any advice please folks?

Its ok folks................ I DID IT lol

It came out easily and cleanly (phewwww)

Hi,
I had that same exact panic fear over the weekend. I have a top partial. It feels so weird when I took it out. No place to put my tongue. I hate it when I take out the partial not because of any pain or anything.

It does feel strange doesnt it. I cant ever see myself sleeping without it. I managed to have a very short, quick look at myself without it.... not a pretty sight lol.

This is exactly what I am having a lot of 'issues' over, also. I dont ever want to take it out for long.
I dont want to look in the mirror without the denture, once its in. :( :cry:

Hi HappyDancing Feet,
Well you are much braver than me. It has been exactly a week since my teeth removal. I only had 4 on top but I can't bear to look in a mirror yet. I don't know if I ever will. I know that probably sounds sad.

I am still trying to deal w/hubby. He is very supportive. But I don't want him to see me without it.

Hi Susan,

I am having the same HUGE HUGE ISSUE right now. The other night I waited till hubby had fallen asleep to go to bed and take out the partial. I just feel so ugly without it. Even having the partial in, I don't feel that great about myself right now.

The emotional issues attached to my phobia are almost as bad as the phobia itself. I wish I could get over this shame.

Im having a full upper denture on the 22nd....I cannot imagine looking in the mirror having no upper teeth.
It is simply beyond me.
I cant imagine my tongue feeling no teeth. Cant imagine any of this.
It feels so.....like Im no good anymore. I cant get a handle on this part.....I just wept today.
I cant imagine ever taking the denture out but know I will have to......

btw....I dont know why the time says what it does: Its 10:30pm here.

Hi squiggles and susan,

I thought I'd be ashamed having a partial denture too, but I can now do this :) My lower front teeth were loose, sore, and looked horrid, so now i can smile without feeling embarrassed. I still have to have a partial on the top .......... I have two gaps either side of the front 4 ( if that makes sense lol)

I'm not up to biting/chewing yet, so I'm still on soft foods. ( any sudden movement of the partial sends me into a panic) I find myself craving steak at the moment lol

I think what helped me come to terms with looking at myself without the partial, was a website I looked at. A lady had documented her journey of having FULL dentures and posted pictures of her toothless grin etc. I dont have the website addy on the laptop, but if you want the addy I'll post it later

:grouphug:

Hi Susan and squiggles - I can confirm what happy has said. I recently had 10 teeth out, and now have upper and lower partials. Yes, it still feels wierd at night when I take them out, and I don't look at myself too long in the mirror as only having a few teeth left is very freaky :scared:.
BUT I no longer have constant tooth ache; no recurrent gum absesses; no fearing every moment of the day what people think of my teeth. And I can smile, as happy can ;D ;D.
I think moving to partials is a big emotional journey, so do give yourself time and lots of pats on the back for taking this big step. :grouphug:

Well, Im talking about a full upper denture, not a partial.
Still feel pretty freaked about it all. :(

Hi gg and squiggles,

Were you told you HAD to take the partial out at night?  I've never slept without mine :(   It only comes out when I clean my teeth morning and night and to rinse my mouth after lunch. :(   Well, that is....apart from today.  I still have issues about it moving when I eat/bite etc. (it doesnt seem to fit low enough around the other teeth and tends to move)  but I fancied a bacon sandwich at lunchtime....so I took the partial out  to eat it  lol. Luckily I'm at home alone all day!

Re: donot be afaid.

It has been three weeks since I have had all my upper teeth pulled. It took alot of courage to agree with the dentist to do it. But after all the healing and depression of not having the them anymore, I acually feel alot better about myself and my appearance. I can acually smile again after all these years and that to me is worth getting rid of teeth that over time would have taken care of anyway. My dentist did a great job of helping me thru that transition. I am still healing but the main advantage is that I can look people in the eye and :jump:. My wife is very supportive. She could see how I was unhappy with the way I look. So don,t be ashamed of looking at yourself with out your teeth. You will be surprise how strong you really are. Good Luck and be happy.

it's good to hear from someone who is 3 weeks out from the same thing i am doing this wednesday --- all my remaining uppers yanked and a new immediate denture.

of all the things i'm worried about, the main one is speaking. i talk on the phone all the time for my job (from the privacy of my home office, thank god). of course, i don't want any of my business associates to know i've had this done, because i have a lot of shame, with my whole 'teeth issues'. so, i'm going to tell them i'm having some 'work' done and buy myself a few days of not being on the phone. but after about 4 or 5 days, i'll have to talk again. i'm so afraid i will slur, lisp, click/clack or otherwise sound 'weird'. my dentist just says 'it will prbably be a lot easier than you think... try not to worry'

greencorn, how long did it take you to start speaking 'normally' w/ your uppers? how are you doing now? are you eating regular food again?
thank you for any info...
nan

Back