• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Issues with last remaining wisdom tooth...I think

G

greenmtnsrider

Hi there, new guy here! About a month ago I woke up with some pain and swelling around my left jaw joint, the TMJ. I iced it and took some advil and it seemed to pass. Some pain came back which seemed focused on my 2nd molar a few days later, this time with the same sensation of pericoronitis which I had with my right wisdom and 2nd molar a few months earlier which led to having to extract both the molar and the wisdom tooth due to an erosion cavity. I called into the dentist and they called in a script for penicillin as they couldnt see me that week because of the july 4th weekend. I made an appt for monday, went in described what the problem was and they took an xray, noted there may be a cyst around the crown of the horizontally impacted wisdom and did some scaling between the 1st and 2nd molar which gave me some relief for a few days. The pain came back, and I called in to make an appt with my OS to have the wisdom extracted. I ended up having to miss that appt due to car problems, rescheduled it for 8/11 which was 3 weeks later. Since then I have been experiencing some minor pain around the TMJ, tingling on the left jaw line and ear, and some pain in my neck, I dont see anything swollen inside my mouth, but I think I can see what looks like the wisdom trying to erupt thru my gums but im not 100% sure. From time to time my jaw was pulling to the left side which is painful, along with some pain in my left temple as well. Some days are better than others. I am also on another regiment of penicllin as of a week ago when the pain came back and I could feel a swollen lymph node underneath where the 2 teeth in question are. Went out for a few beers this past Sunday and woke up with an intense tingling feeling around the wisdom and 2nd molar. That passed by early evening along with the bad taste in my mouth which I likened to the pericoronitis. No real pain throughout the week until yesterday when I started poking and proding around the TMJ and neck just below my ear, which is a bit tender today, probably due to anxiety and my own stupidity. I guess what Im looking for is some reassurance that the symptoms Ive described are that of an impacted wisdom tooth and not something more serious. Thanks!

I have also noticed some crowding of a couple of my teeth more towards the front of my mouth of the same side, just behind my 4 front teeth....if that helps...and I do grind/clench my teeth at night, sometimes during the day as well without even noticing...

Last edited:
Hi greenmtnsrider :welcome: to the forum.
I am not a dentist but the symptoms you are describing do sound like the effects you get from your wisdom tooth and clenching problems. I wouldn't be worried that is is anything other than dental related which has been seen and will be treated by the dentist.

The clenching and grinding can cause all of the symptoms you describe, I know as I have this problem myself. I have a night guard that does help a bit but doesn't cure. It does stop me destroying my teeth as I now grind the guard. The dentist will make you one if they think you could benefit from one. You can wear them through the day too if needed.

Good luck with your extraction appointment, you may find that once that is sorted out the other problems will disappear. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::butterfly:

~9 weeks post extraction...healing has been slow after I developed a dry socket and had some other set backs. I was prescribed clindamycin for a possible bone infection which turned out to be nothing a week later. Things seemed normal for a few weeks, except when I would go out once a week for a few beers and wake up with the tingling sensation and swollen lypmh nodes which I mentioned in my initial post. For the past week I've noticed slight bleeding when I rinse the extraction with my syringe, and I'm still experiencing swollen nodes, both under my jaw line and something swollen just behind my jaw in front of my ear which causes some minor discomfort in the ear itself. My oral surgeon did say it would be a couple months till everything is healed and my doctor also said the swollen nodes could be still interacting with the extraction site which could still be draining. Seems odd to be still dealing with this 2 months after the extraction. Any thoughts?

Back