• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom teeth extraction complication, no sensation on adjacent molars

J

JohnZ622

Hi everyone,

On August 15th I had extraction of 3 mesioangular impacted unerupted wisdom teeth (3 was all I had). They were the upper left (#16) and the two bottom ones.

About four days after the extraction, I noticed a small pus pocket near my remaining upper left molars (around #15). The pain grew until it became a huge headache and I was prescribed antibiotics.
The antibiotics eventually calmed down the infection. However, during the process I noticed that the leftover upper left molars (#15, 14) feel numb. When I touched them, they felt like stones. It also hurt a bit when I bit down on them.

About six weeks after the surgery, I went to my general dentist for routine cleaning. He noticed the abscess and proceeded to perform a vitality test on #15 and #14. They were both completely unresponsive to cold.

I followed up with the oral surgeon. He commented that the abscess/pus pocket is not over the wisdom teeth but rather over #15. The conclusion he reached was that the negative vitality test could not have been caused by the extraction.

Is this too co-incidental? These two teeth never gave me problems before. I do remember him thinking that the pus pocket was the location of a flap that he opened during the surgery. Now I have been recommended to seek root canal for both of those teeth.

Thank you so much for reading this. Please share any advice you have.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

If you are not convinced by the people you have seen on the treatment you may need then seek another opinion and then decide. I would think that if a rct is needed then it could just be that this is coincidence, sometimes things just all start up at once.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: and all the best to you :butterfly:

Back