• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Small Victory, Big Results

C

CollegeBound

So.. For starters, I feel honored to be able to post on this part of the forum! It feels good.

My small victory occurred last Sunday evening. I was doing my Psychology homework, and since I take online classes, we have a discussion board in which we are given a prompt, and we have to write a post and respond to two other classmates' posts. Our topic last week was anxiety disorders, and our prompt was to write about a situation in which we feel fearful, anxious, or phobic, and tell why it is classified as such.

I don't like to talk about my phobia. It is a touchy subject to me, and always makes me panic an wonder if people will think I am a wimp or a sissy. I asked one of my friends (she knows how I feel about dental stuff) what I should do. Of course, her answer was the one thing I wanted to avoid. This. I told her absolutely not. I can't even talk about it to my boyfriend, let alone my classmates who could judge me and make fun. I just couldn't bare the thought.

Then comes Sunday evening. My post and comments are due at 11:59. I was at the last few hours before it was due. I racked my brain a little while longer, and knew that it was unavoidable. So, I wrote about my dental phobia. It took me about an hour to write 150 words, because I would have moments of panic, so I would have to stop before I could write some more. I finished strong, and then wrote on two other people's posts and went to bed, not not to sleep.

It wasn't until this afternoon until I could look to see if people commented. There were 3 comments. All positive. One of which, was this:

"I am glad you mentioned dentist. My daughter hates the dentist it is miserable to have to take her. All the screaming and crying to me is uncalled for. I get on her all the time for those behaviors as soon as she hears the word. I have never thought of her acting that way due to fear. I don't like the dentist but that's because it always gives me a headache but I never thought of someone actually fearing it. Thank You for mentioning this and I am sure my daughter does also."

I wrote her an email describing more about what I feel and my thought process, so that she can help her daughter. I also sent her a link to DFC so that maybe they could explore it together.

I know that this seems like nothing to most, but it meant the world to me. It made me realize that people aren't as narrow minded as we suspect, and that there is good in the world.

Small victory, big results.

THANK YOU :jump::jump::jump: and well done :respect::respect::respect: :you-rock::goodpost::butterfly:

Thanks Carole. I didn't realize how hard that would truly be.... Lol

Back