• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What does Valium make you feel like ?

I

Issy

I'm considering taking Valium for future Dentist Visits.(if the dentist recommends it)
I've never had it before,so was wondering what i'll feel like ?
How will it affect me ?
Also will i still be able to travel on Public Transport alone ?

I'd leave the first few questions to someone who's actually tried it. As for the last question, public transport alone?

Absolutely NO WAY :scared:

I agree with Gordon, Issy. Definitely no travel alone after taking valium. Pills affect people in different ways. If you do get valium prescribed for you, do what I did - a trial run on a day you are not going out just to see what the effects are. In my case, I took one around 9.30 p.m. one night and had a wonderful sleep and the next day felt absolutely marvellous. The next time I tried was to duplicate how I would be taking it before my big appointment, i.e. one around 10.30 at night so I would hopefully get a good sleep and another one 1 1/2 hours before appointment. This time didn't feel as good as I had the first time round but probably because the anxiety was much higher to start with but I think it did calm me down sufficiently to get to the surgery without too much trouble, though once it got to sedation time I was shaking like a leaf.

I'll be using the valium on Wed.I'll try one Tues. nite and then Wed.AM I'm fortunate to have 2 friends take me (no I don't need 2 to take me...Ha ha it's 1 friend each way!)I definitely agree NO public transport.Lots of unsavory people just waiting to take advantage....good luck

I agree with the others. Having had Valium myself a couple of times in the past (not for dental appointments but for medical tests/procedures), there is no way that you should be travelling alone on public transport. Although you will feel pleasant relaxed and calm, you won't be fully 'with it' for quite a while afterwards. Although it affects people differently, it can cause confusion and amnesia temporarily. You really need a responsible adult with you until you've sobered up fully from its effects :hic:.

If it's recommended for you, the chances are that they will insist on someone coming with you anyway :).

Other than that, although I'd never take it for dental appointments myself (I like to know exactly what's going on and keep an eye on them ;)), I actually quite enjoyed the effects of Valium :cloud9:.

[BTW Issy, I think I edited your post by mistake instead of mine as you posted at the same time as me... oops... sorry :redface: Must be past my bedtime ;)]

I'm already having second thoughts about taking Valium ! Coz i fear Sedation & not being in control & not knowing what's being done to me  :scared:

But if Jenny really thinks i need it, i'll get Mum to drive me to / from the Dentist  :)

Sorry about the silly Transport question, i just don't know anything about Valium !

honestly though, when it comes to dental work, i rather not know whats going on and be out of it, then deal with the anxitity that comes with it, but thats just me!

Yourbigpalal83 said:
honestly though, when it comes to dental work, i rather not know whats going on [highlight]and be out of it,[/highlight] then deal with the anxitity that comes with it, but thats just me!
General Anaesthetic & IV Sedation terrifie me :scared:

Hi Issy/
If you trust your dentist and you have someone who can drive you back and forth then I think valium will be ok. What's the old saying "the end justifies the means"So in order to get our teeth back the way they should be we hafta do things that will safely help us achieve our goal.Naturally I emphasize safely.I'll be using valium Tues.nite and wed. am Only way I can get to the chair.Even though A good part of me says I don't want to go(the emotional side of my pea sized brain!)the more common sense side says go you idiot cuz you know you need to!In my life the common sense side has been winning...thank goodness!Talk to ya later.Back to I guess the original question I'd like to know myself what valium feels like.I'll be in the chair at 8:30 am.Probably have a nap when I get home...Will I be able to drive by 2 pm?I've got a meeting....Thanx

Back