• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

filling of teeth SCARED

H

hamna

Okay so my filling came out an year ago and since Im really scared i didn't go to the dentist. just yesterday when I went he looked at it and said the cavity is quite big but it'll be fine after the filling. Once he started drilling I started crying like hell , im a freak and rreally scared of almost everything so yeah i didn't let him clean properly for which reason he just temporarily closed it by filling it with a white substance that came out today. He told me to wait and if the pain wont stop he will have to go for a root canal but the pain did stop. So pleaseeee somebody tell me what to do as i will be going today. Should i get an injection to numb that area so that I practically don't feel the pain? i have a huge phobia of needles as well pls help me out :(:(:(:(

Ask for numbing gel before the needle... Keep your eyes tightly closed

hug to to you be strong

Can you tell me if i need some time to wait after the gel is applied? I read it somewhere on the internet that it will take sometime?
IM SO SCARED LITERALLY I'VE BEEN CRYING FOR TWO DAYS :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

It's very fast, a minute or two

Currently your tooth is not painful but it could become painful when your dentist will fix it. Removing decayed tissues with the drill and others tools is often painful if the mouth is not numbed. One of my teeth was filled without shot when I was younger and it was painful when the dentist removed the cavity although my tooth was not painful before. I don’t like needles but dental works are a bit less unpleasant after a shot. I wish you luck.

I get numbing gel before the needle. It seems to help me. I also try breathing exercises similar to the ones I did when giving birth. Don't laugh about that but they really help also. Best wishes with your treatment.

I went to the dentist and he filled it again with that white substance (it's a medicine i guess) and told me to come after 2 weeks. He said that The X-ray did not practically show but my tooth was actually quite decayed than he thought. So he will remove that filling after 2 weeks to see the condition, if there's pain than might have to go before the time allotted and he will do root canal. IM LITERALLY VERY SCARED HOPING FOR THE BEST.

I am glad you are working with your dentist to get this sorted. I have had root canal done a few times. I coped with it by just lying there with my mouth open and pretending I was on a nice sandy beach with the sea lapping towards me. I'm hope that this might help you.

Not to be a killjoy here, but I needed root canals after I'd let missing fillings go for a long time. If you've waited a year, that's longer than I was able to. I'd wager your decay is very close to the boundary beyond which a root canal will be required. So, don't mess around without anesthetic - you'll want some, even if, in the end, you only need a filling.

The topical gel used before the injection tastes like crap, but it helps. Usually, my dentists (I've had it done several times) have left the swab in place for a minute or so, which gives it time to work. You'll still feel the injection, but only right at first. Don't be alarmed if it takes some time (maybe 30 seconds) - a skilled dentist will inject little by little so that you numb as you go. Remember to breathe. Concentrate on your nose while you do. Sounds silly, but it works.

When the injection is done, it will take a few minutes for the actual tooth and jaw to finally numb. Ask the dentist to check before he starts drilling. He can tell by touching nearby areas. You will have had time to calm down after the injection, and THE WORST PART WILL BE OVER ... and you might find you can tell if you're numb enough anyway. If it doesn't feel that way, after the dentist tests, ask for a little more anesthetic. You will NOT feel another injection at this point.

Another little trick that helps through it all - hold your feet straight out (i.e., straighten your knees) so they don't touch the chair while the worst is happening. A dental assistant way back when told me about that. Not everyone knows - I've had some dental personnel be amused by it and one momentarily alarmed by it - but it clues most of them in. I do it all the time during x-rays, injections, and initial drilling. Once I'm satisfied that the drilling is no longer an issue, I can hear my feet hit the chair again, and I'm home free.

Experience talking here ... hope this helps.

Back