• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Who is worse, dentists or hygienists?

bcjch

bcjch

Hi all, I have a dumb question - with plenty of added sarcasm and facetiousness - for those of you who have conquered fear enough to visit the dentist and differentiate. Who did you have a worse experience with, a dentist or a hygienist?

I'm not sure exactly what the lingo is across the pond, but here in the USA, a hygienist is an assistant that helps the dentist during procedures, takes the x-rays, and does cleanings. I've seen many of you mention the dentist's "nurse" in posts - is this what the "nurse" does?

Maybe it's unfair to compare dentists to hygienists because the hygienists do most of the work, but they tend to put me off more than the actual dentist.

I've had too much dental work done over the years, but I think the worst thing was dealing with a hygienist a few years ago, who I swear put a pick between 2 back teeth and twisted it. Needless to say, I yowled pretty good, which launched her into an I've-been-doing-this-for-15-years-so-pipe-down-and-sit-still spiel. Thankfully, I didn't have to deal with Conan the Hygienist again. However, during a follow-up appointment, I was left alone in the chair briefly and could see my treatment history and notes - with an insertion from that hygienist about how uncooperative and defiant I was. (I quit going to that dentist shortly thereafter - with additional reasons for my action.)

During one of my typical cleanings, about 2 dozen scrapes (or blasts from that water tool, whichever) into it, I'm rinsing because I have a mouthful of blood. They always say, "You have unhealthy gums." And that, of course, is the perfect cover for them missing whatever they were aiming for, or jabbing me when something dislodges from my tooth and the pick slips. By that standard, who doesn't have unhealthy gums? Only somebody who could crack a walnut with them without using any teeth to help.

Oh, and then there's the part where they probe along gums, and the hygienist doing the probing calls out a number (indicating relative gum health) to another one who records it. Low numbers are better, but mine always seem to be high. It still seems artificial, though. After all, my gums are getting jabbed with a sharp instrument. What do they expect to happen, the tip of the pick to bend backward onto itself? If that's the case, does anyone know a dentist that will resolder my gums?

I have habitually put off regular cleanings and been able to get away with it - until now. I've told parts of the story behind the most recent one in another thread, and it didn't really involve someone bad ... but the hygienist who worked with me was saying I was soooooooooooo much more cooperative when numbed by injection. (I really wanted to slap her ...)

It seems like these people's most nightmarish day is brought on by a squirming patient like me. I can't be the only patient that does this, though, so how do hygienists cope with their personal half dozen daily doses of hell? (By returning it, it seems ...) Or are most patients the type who go sit in the chair, get this blank stare, maybe drool a little, and remain in some sort of stupor until it's all over - and we on this forum are the few exceptions?

As a dental phobic hygienist, I think the hygienist is worse than the dentist. And that's because you know what you're getting into when you get dental work done... drilling, filling, loud noises, shots, ect.... But when youre with the hygienist there could be a slip of the instrument or a random poke or an "oops". I will admit that sometimes my instrument slips and can kinda cause a little damage to the tissue... happens to the best of us.... but I feel like the dentist side is a little more predictable...and you're numb so even if there is a slip it's like nothing happened!

dentist hyginenst because I onlu seen her once when I was about eight or nine she put some sort of thing on my teeth. I have seen a rough dentist once because my other dentist was away on holiday (this was for my due appointment date) and I know how important it is to keep your appointments.

In my office the hygienists all know to maintain the patient's comfort. OUR goal is to always make sure that the patient's experience is such that they are able to return. I have coached and instructed my hygienists as to how to treat a patient when you might need to get into a spot that you think could hurt. WE always strive to avoid surprise pain.

Not sure if this is relevant but I had a filling by the hygienist a few weeks back and didn't get numb so I felt the whole thing and all the sensitivity. I hated the fact i wasn't properly numb. But she was lovely and very friendly. She did tell me though not to be put off coming back to the dentist because of this as dentists are allowed to give stronger anaesthetic.

Well, I've never really ever enjoyed my time wiht a hygenist up until my last here. They just were never super compassionate and always hurt or lectured, more so than dentists... I now found Judy.... I LOVE her... she is super personable. we talk about our kids, she is super patient, non lecturing , so compassionate.. and so competant.. Judy has been a hygenist for like 26 years and assisant for like 8 or something. so a ton of experience, though she doens't look like she could be past 40. I guess she takes good care. Her and my doc. seem to work very complimentary with each other. which is always nice.. but anyways. I was super scared to get my root scaling and she calmed all my fears, answered every question. I also was afraid for her to give me the anesthetic since I never knew hyganists could , never had that before ... so I asked for the Dr. he came in graciously and did it. and she was very understanding but when I needed more I let her do it., of course not feeling anything . had a decent baseline injectino from the dr just needed a tad more. by the next tooth. anyways.. I just love this lady... :) first time I've ever loved my hygenist.. :).. Thanks Judy if you ever read this...

Back