• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anyone else with a really SMALL mouth???

M

mg1

Hello friends,
I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem I have. I have always been told I have a really SMALL mouth. This makes dental work VERY uncomfortable and difficult for the dentist AND myself! Of course, he had to put those devices in my mouth to keep it open, and they are SO large for my mouth, making my jaw extremely uncomfortable. I can't tell you how much pain my jaw is still in from work I had dome on Tuesday (Today is Thursday). It is really painful to open my mouth today, and I still have a lot of pain in both sides of my jaw. I DO have arthritis too, so I am sure that isnt' helping matters. I jUSt wondered if anyone else has this problem, and if so, what do you do about it?
Thanks,
MG1

I also have been told my mouth is very small. They said no one can accuse you have having a big mouth-lol. I also had a deep cleaning done on Tues and my mouth is still sore to. I just take a couple of advil. My appt lasted 3 hrs and they told me that I'd be sore. Just know it will not last long.

Something like ketoprophen or ibuprophen taken before your dental appointment as well as afterwards might help with the after pain, so long as you can take these drugs OK.
Other stuff that might help would be ice packs held over your jaw joints for a few minutes at a time after appointments.

I can NOT take Advil because of chronic esophagitis. I tried some warm compresses...I don't like cold packs...they always make my joints feel more sore.
Thanks for the advice!
MG1

I know exactly what you mean. I too have a very small mouth (saves on the lipstick) and when I think my mouth is wide open for the dentist to get in and do her work, she's saying wider, wider, and it is very difficult. However, in my case, because I've just had extractions and dentures fitted it meant less teeth to come out because there was never room for a full set. I've never had more than 24 and that's with no gaps.

I have 25 teeth and have always been told i have a small mouth by all the dentist iv been and many times the dentist would have to use a child sized mouth piece thingy for me to bite down on during like root canals

Back